What's Your Average Pace?

Depends on what and where and how we ride.

Local mid week relaxing rides on our tandem, 13 miles 1000 ft gain, 3 mile climbs of 4%....12 mph.

Long flat rides on the tandem 60 miles 1100 ft gain, 17.6 mph

45 mile tandem ride same course but shorter 800 ft...18.0 mph

45 on single bikes with my wife.......17.6 mph

45 on my single no wife.....18.1 mph

21 miles with 4800 ft gain, 9.0 mph

Reactions: PanjoJames
11.0mph over 26.7 miles
12.1mph over 21.9 miles.
12.4mph over 27.6

Nothing more than around 700ft (over the entire course of the rides) of elevation gain.

My username is appropriate.

Inside our village, my estimated average speed is 30 kph, that's around the so called oval which is actually a rectangular road. But outside, I guess it is faster, say 35kph or maybe more, in the flat lands. When in the ascent, I sometimes walk with my bike, hahahaaa. When I started riding, my policy has been to get a feel of the ride and to be conscious of my body. If the legs are tired then I try to relax with the pace because I am not into a race. That's what motivates me, the freedom that I get in riding.

I've clocked my casual speed at between 10 and 12mph over an 8 mile distance with little elevation changes.

I have a set 8 mile run to another town and it has a couple of short steep inclines as well as descents and over that distance my speed seems to be pretty consistent. I was surprised considering my previous average I clocked was just around 7mph.

My average speed is around 16mph; seems as if I hold that regardless of the terrain. We don't have any real climbs around Richmond, although west of city, where I live, there are some rolling hills. One long one is about 1 km with a 4-5% grade.

My typical ride is 24-30 miles with about 1100 feet of elevation change at 15.8 mph.

Brian in VA
(Old, fat, and slow.)

If I'm taking my time and not trying to get anywhere in a particular hurry, I'll usually stay around 10-15mph. I've haven't really been cycling very much lately besides my regular commutes and errands, and I always leave myself enough time that I can enjoy my ride and go at a laid back pace. It's also all pretty much flat terrain so there isn't much of a challenge, although sometimes the traffic forces me to go a bit slower.

When I'm mountain biking I really have no clue since the terrain and the pace my group sets is so variable.

My average speed is usually between 16-17.5 mph on solo rides, I usually do 20-30 mile rides, but have had that pacing for a 50 mile and 63 mile ride. Mostly mixed terrain 700+- ft per every 10 miles. I've never rode anywhere truly flat or hilly(for consecutive miles). I think my fastest was 18.6 or so for a 25 mile stretch with a fast group.

Curious what other people ride at. When I do my 60 mile loop with 1800ft climb, I usually clock around 16.5 -17 mph. Yesterday I did 19.4 with my buddy but only over the course of about 12 miles (got dark).

What's your average?

I have not taken time to calculate the distance that I cover when I ride since I only ride at the moment for fun. However, when the tournament that I am planning we see the green light, I will have to use that to test how far I can go on the race.

My average pace is 15 km/h. It's not impressive but I'm okay with it. I've enjoyed my rides in the past and will continued to do so. I don't really do competitive cycling.

It obviously depends on where I'm cycling and what my intention is.

If I'm looking to just go joyriding on the road to get a breath of fresh air, I'm usually cycling somewhere around 15-20 km/h. I typically maintain relatively the same pace when mountain biking, but get a better workout because obviously it's tougher peddling on forest roads than asphalt.

If I'm looking to get a decent road cycling workout, I'm usually pedaling at probably around 40 km/h.

I'm stuck in the city for now so I just play it safe and ride at around 15-25 kph depending on how the traffic situation is.

My average speed varies between 16 to 18 mph depending on how I feel that day. When I had the time to ride a lot about 4 years ago my average went up to 21, but business got busy so I can't ride as much today; those averages are based on a 20 mile ride.

However when I do short touring trips, which isn't often due to time constraints, with an additional 65 pounds of camping gear including a heavier bike my average drops to just 11 to 12 mph! I'm hoping the more I get use to lugging the weight around the faster I'll get on the touring bike.

Curious what other people ride at. When I do my 60 mile loop with 1800ft climb, I usually clock around 16.5 -17 mph. Yesterday I did 19.4 with my buddy but only over the course of about 12 miles (got dark).

What's your average?
It depends on what ur trying to do...I try to go as fast as I can solo no draft cheating on my windy area I live in. about 22mph

I always ride at least partially through city traffic and traffic lights so my average is always between 12 and 14 mph. But I also almost always have at least 1,000 or more of climbing at a minimum of 6%. That wears your legs out but usually doesn't effect your speed since the downhill half compensates for the slower uphill part.

What's your average?
I do not understand what you want to say. I appreciate you.

Well, I drive around 10-12 kmph. I want to increase my pace, share some valuable tips
The only tip is to train. Riding faster and getting worn to a nub and then recovering to try again is what increases your ability to ride fast. 12 kmph is only 7 mph. That sounds like you are not riding on finished roads and if you are riding on trails instead of roads that isn't a bad speed.

I do not understand what you want to say. I appreciate you.
The guy was saying he rides really fast for a sport cyclist. A 19 or 20 mph average is a killer pace unless you're a racer. Of course he may not be getting that speed off of a cyclo-computer but estimating it from his timer.