What's Your Average Speed In The City?

I only bike during clear weather, and I mostly stay at speeds of 20 kph or below depending on the traffic.

I really cannot estimate my average speed when I am riding outside our village. When riding inside, it’s a leisurely ride most of the time that maybe 3 mph for my average speed. But when I am riding outside, it is faster and the speed is maintained otherwise the other cyclists will leave me behind. It’s definitely more than 5 mph but it’s difficult to estimate.

When it's rush hour here in Manila my pace would slow down considerably to between 5-8mph because if the volume of traffic and people walking everywhere. It's not advisable to ride here during the afternoon rush hour.

That's an interesting question. The speed you can maintain while bike messengering depends on a variety of factors, such as the terrain, traffic conditions, and the weight of the package you're carrying. On a flat, smooth surface with minimal traffic, you might be able to sustain speeds of 15-20 mph. However, in hilly areas or heavy traffic, it could be significantly slower.

As for the conditions, riding in inclement weather like rain or snow can certainly slow you down, as can strong headwinds or tailwinds. Ultimately, the key is to maintain a consistent, efficient pace while staying safe and adhering to traffic laws.

I'm curious, what kind of speeds have you been able to achieve in your city? Have you found any particular routes or techniques that help you maintain a faster average speed?