What's your average speed ????

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Chris Hughes, Jun 30, 2003.

  1. Chris Hughes

    Chris Hughes Guest

    I been wondering what other riders are averging on thier daily rides. I'm a 50 year old rider who
    usually does about 25 miles when I ride. I don't race now, so you could not say I'm training but I
    do try to maitain a fairly good average speed for the ride. This of course depends on lights, stop
    signs and traffic. I also ride alone. For the 25 miles I usually do about 17.6 mph. Of course when
    it's windy that drops off and my best for the distance was 19.1. What are you people doing.

    Tags:

  2. Grl

    Grl Guest

    What style of bike? Speed is easier on a road bike because of skinny tires and less wind
    cross-section. In an absolute sense it may not matter, but for comparisons it matters a lot.

    --

    - GRL

    "It's good to want things."

    Steve Barr (philosopher, poet, humorist, chemist, Visual Basic programmer)
    "Chris Hughes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I been wondering what other riders are averging on thier daily rides. I'm
    > 50 year old rider who usually does about 25 miles when I ride. I don't
    race
    > now, so you could not say I'm training but I do try to maitain a fairly
    good
    > average speed for the ride. This of course depends on lights, stop signs and traffic. I also ride
    > alone. For the 25 miles I usually do about 17.6 mph. Of course when it's windy that drops off and
    > my best for the
    distance
    > was 19.1. What are you people doing.

  3. David Storm

    David Storm Guest

    "Chris Hughes" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I been wondering what other riders are averging on thier daily rides. I'm
    > 50 year old rider who usually does about 25 miles when I ride. I don't
    race
    > now, so you could not say I'm training but I do try to maitain a fairly
    good
    > average speed for the ride. This of course depends on lights, stop signs and traffic. I also ride
    > alone. For the 25 miles I usually do about 17.6 mph. Of course when it's windy that drops off and
    > my best for the
    distance
    > was 19.1. What are you people doing.

    There's a lot of variables including rider fitness, terrain, length of ride, wind, and how you feel.
    I'm 64. On a good day I can average 18-20 on a short windless flat ride while younger riders in our
    club can easily do it at 25+. On a flat century I have averaged about 17.5 (in a small pace line).
    On a hilly century (>5000 feet climbing) I usually average about 12-13 mph. My best double average
    was 14.5 on the relatively easy Solvang double. As you can see I'm not especially fast. There are
    70+ year olds in our club who can out ride me.

  4. Dan Cosley

    Dan Cosley Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Chris Hughes wrote:
    > I been wondering what other riders are averging on thier daily rides. I'm a 50 year old rider who
    > usually does about 25 miles when I ride. I don't race now, so you could not say I'm training but I
    > do try to maitain a fairly good average speed for the ride. This of course depends on lights, stop
    > signs and traffic. I also ride alone. For the 25 miles I usually do about 17.6 mph. Of course when
    > it's windy that drops off and my best for the distance was 19.1. What are you people doing.

    33 yo, 210 lbs, mostly-flat Minnesota. I average about 16 mph real time including slowing down,
    rests, etc., no matter if it's my 7 mile urban commute or a 40 mile country ride. Compared to other
    people on road bikes, I'm one of the slowest people I see riding around here.

    -- Dan

    --
    Dan Cosley ([email protected] * http://www.cs.umn.edu/~cosley/) GroupLens Research
    Lab, Univ of MN (http://movielens.umn.edu/ * 612.624.8372) *** Just a foot soldier in the Army

  5. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    "Chris Hughes" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I been wondering what other riders are averging on thier daily rides. I'm a 50 year old rider who
    > usually does about 25 miles when I ride. I don't race now, so you could not say I'm training but I
    > do try to maitain a fairly good average speed for the ride. This of course depends on lights, stop
    > signs and traffic. I also ride alone. For the 25 miles I usually do about 17.6 mph. Of course when
    > it's windy that drops off and my best for the distance was 19.1. What are you people doing.

    Comparisons of speed are useless without knowing the terrain, hills make a huge difference.

  6. David Kerber

    David Kerber Guest

    > I been wondering what other riders are averging on thier daily rides. I'm a 50 year old rider who
    > usually does about 25 miles when I ride. I don't race now, so you could not say I'm training but I
    > do try to maitain a fairly good average speed for the ride. This of course depends on lights, stop
    > signs and traffic. I also ride alone. For the 25 miles I usually do about 17.6 mph. Of course when
    > it's windy that drops off and my best for the distance was 19.1. What are you people doing.

    My normal daily ride runs about 14.5 - 15 mph for 8 to 14 mi (depending on the route), including
    stops, though I think my computer stops timing when the wheel stops turning). I turned in a 19+mph
    15k TT last week on a smooth route with no stops, my first TT ever.

  7. Psycholist

    Psycholist Guest

    Depends alot on terrain. 27 mph for a good road ride. 30 mph or so for some of my short,
    hard efforts.

    Lance

  8. In article <[email protected]>, Chris Hughes <[email protected]> wrote:
    > What are you people doing.

    5 mile round-trip commute, say a couple more miles pacing around the office during the day, with
    errands and stuff let's make it 8 miles altogether, 24 hours, let's see.... 1/3 mph?

    --Bruce Fields

  9. Pbwalther

    Pbwalther Guest

    Yes average speed can be affected by quite a few things. Years ago when I did an 11 mile commute
    (one way) my record avg was 27 mph and my slow avg was something like 12 mph (into a thumping
    headwind).

    I do a morning ride with lots of turns and stop signs and such and I average a little over 17 and I
    do really well over 18. I think I broke 19 once.

    I went on a century and it was a large group and I averaged 23. I even pulled some on that one.

    Solo I cruise 18-22 depending on flat terrain depending on the wind, heat and humidity (in central
    FL these are significant).

  10. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    Yap yap - "average speed" - yap yap! Never a mention of standard deviation. Is an average speed of
    17 mph with a sd of 3 mph the same as an average speed of 17 with a sd of 9 mph?

    The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense!

    "Pbwalther" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Yes average speed can be affected by quite a few things. Years ago when I
    did
    > an 11 mile commute (one way) my record avg was 27 mph and my slow avg was something like 12 mph
    > (into a thumping headwind).
    >
    > I do a morning ride with lots of turns and stop signs and such and I
    average a
    > little over 17 and I do really well over 18. I think I broke 19 once.
    >
    > I went on a century and it was a large group and I averaged 23. I even
    pulled
    > some on that one.
    >
    > Solo I cruise 18-22 depending on flat terrain depending on the wind, heat
    and
    > humidity (in central FL these are significant).

  11. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    "Chris Hughes" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I been wondering what other riders are averging on thier daily rides. I'm
    > 50 year old rider who usually does about 25 miles when I ride. I don't
    race
    > now, so you could not say I'm training but I do try to maitain a fairly
    good
    > average speed for the ride. This of course depends on lights, stop signs and traffic. I also ride
    > alone. For the 25 miles I usually do about 17.6 mph. Of course when it's windy that drops off and
    > my best for the
    distance
    > was 19.1. What are you people doing.

    I'm sure someone can site specifics, but I personally ride pretty fast. I'm not sure how fast (alot
    of flatland 52x13-14-15-16 stuff) since I gave up the statistic fetish I previously had. On that,
    I'd recommend to judge your performance by those around you. Or, just ride.

    --
    Robin Hubert <[email protected]

  12. Jacques

    Jacques Guest

    On a road bike, usually about 17 mph for distances 20 to 70 miles, if it is reasonably flat. I know
    it's not fast compared to figures I've seen on previous answers. It makes me feel bad but I'm
    fighting it. Down to 12 mph on a 50 miles ride with 6800 ft climbing and too steep descents last
    saturday. On the city/tour bike, more like 14-15 mph, again on flat.

    Jacques

  13. "Chris Hughes" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > I been wondering what other riders are averging on thier daily rides. I'm a 50 year old rider who
    > usually does about 25 miles when I ride. I don't race now, so you could not say I'm training but I
    > do try to maitain a fairly good average speed for the ride. This of course depends on lights, stop
    > signs and traffic. I also ride alone. For the 25 miles I usually do about 17.6 mph. Of course when
    > it's windy that drops off and my best for the distance
    was 19.1. What are you people doing.

    I'm 51 and I typically ride my commter/touring bike the 11 miles to work, mostly on a rail trail
    at about 14-15 mph average. That includes a stretch through the center of two towns, and a very
    slow stretch across a college campus. This bike is a Trek 520 and weighs in around 35 pounds with
    my "stuff".

    If I ride "the long way" to or from work, the distance may be more like 25 miles one way, and
    average speed jumps up to about 16-17 mph.

    If I ride the same route on my "sport bike" (Trek 2000 @ ~21 lbs), it tends toward 18-20 mph.

    But I increasingly pay no attention to speed, average, max or current. Distance is more interesting
    to me, and sometimes, I just watch the clock or ride time value. I make no personal judgements as to
    my speed. Sometimes I "lean on it" a bit, and other times just cruise. I generally always ride alone
    and racing is of no interest to me.

    SMH

  14. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    Tue, 1 Jul 2003 09:13:44 -0400, <[email protected]>, "Doug Huffman"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Yap yap - "average speed" - yap yap! Never a mention of standard deviation. Is an average speed of
    >17 mph with a sd of 3 mph the same as an average speed of 17 with a sd of 9 mph?

    The clock of my cylcometer gains two and a half minutes per month. It has only a ten hour trip
    timer. The average speed readout reports "error" if it goes more than 30 hours without zeroing the
    trip timer.
    --
    zk

  15. Kevan Smith

    Kevan Smith Guest

    On 01 Jul 2003 12:59:35 GMT, [email protected] (Pbwalther) from AOL http://www.aol.com wrote:

    >Yes average speed can be affected by quite a few things. Years ago when I did an 11 mile commute
    >(one way) my record avg was 27 mph and my slow avg was something like 12 mph (into a thumping
    >headwind).
    >
    >I do a morning ride with lots of turns and stop signs and such and I average a little over 17 and I
    >do really well over 18. I think I broke 19 once.
    >
    >I went on a century and it was a large group and I averaged 23. I even pulled some on that one.
    >
    >Solo I cruise 18-22 depending on flat terrain depending on the wind, heat and humidity (in central
    >FL these are significant).

    I log all my rides, whether commuting, training, racing or just bombing around. Here's what I did
    last month: 718.77 miles in 44:30:16 averaging 16.2 mph. My fastest ride last month averaged 19.2
    over 33 miles (yeah, I'm slow), and my slowest averaged 11.5 over 8 miles.

    --
    http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace Adopt my lifestyle or I'll have to
    press charges.

  16. Smokey

    Smokey Guest

    "Chris Hughes" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I been wondering what other riders are averging on thier daily rides. I'm a 50 year old rider who
    > usually does about 25 miles when I ride. I don't race now, so you could not say I'm training but I
    > do try to maitain a fairly good average speed for the ride. This of course depends on lights, stop
    > signs and traffic. I also ride alone. For the 25 miles I usually do about 17.6 mph. Of course when
    > it's windy that drops off and my best for the distance was 19.1. What are you people doing.

    who cares, as long as you are having fun! smokey

  17. My average speed? It's about 5 minutes, but it depends a lot on what I'm riding.

    Steve McDonald

  18. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Stephen Harding <[email protected]> writes:

    > But I increasingly pay no attention to speed, average, max or current. Distance is more
    > interesting to me, and sometimes, I just watch the clock or ride time value. I make no personal
    > judgements as to my speed. Sometimes I "lean on it" a bit, and other times just cruise. I
    > generally always ride alone and racing is of no interest to me.

    I'm addicted to my cycloputer; you're approaching the state to which I aspire to attain.

    Only one of my bikes is computer-equipped, so I'm generally loathe to ride the others -- I'd have
    nothing quantitative to journalize. So I hereby confess to neglecting 3 bikes.

    A few months ago while crossing one of our local bridges, I came very close to hucking the computer
    in the river. But I couldn't bring myself to do it. I guess I'm not quite ready for "back to basics"
    yet. Besides, it was a gift. Funny thing is, "back to basics" probably where we all were when we
    first set foot to pedal. The tentacles of technology sure are insidious.

    So now my handlebar has become a dashboard, and I'm stuck with it.

    Like you, I appreciate the odometer and trip distance. It's interesting to know the distances to
    destinations, and it's fun to watch the odo click over to n000.00 km. Before the computer, I used to
    estimate distances with dividers and a map. After corroboration with the computer, I was surprised
    at just how precise my estimates were. And it satisfied my curiosity as to whether or not the local
    terrain appreciably adds distance, as compared to a flat map (it doesn't).

    With the speedo, the only time it's interesting is when going fast (which for me, is anything over
    40 km/h). And when I'm doing that, I don't wanna take my eyes off the road. I can't even see the
    other displays without reading glasses.

    As to the OP's question, I tried to calculate my entire logged avg speed, using Unix (Bourne) Shell
    tools -- basically, "expr" in a for-loop.

    But expr didn't like my syntax, and I got bored with trying. I don't even wanna figure it out, now.

    I hope to outgrow the damned thing someday. And shake the cobwebs off my other bikes.

    I'm really getting tired of computers and numbers.

    cheers, Tom