What's your average speed ????

[email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> I'm really getting tired of computers and numbers.

I got a very digital read-out yesterday on my way to work: 110.10 miles on the odometer. Cracked me
up -- what's that in base 10?

Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky ([email protected]) Home of the meditative cyclist:
http://home.earthlink.net/~cpetersky/Welcome.htm Singing with you at: http://www.tiferet.net/ Books
just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at: http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky

Claire Petersky <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

>> I'm really getting tired of computers and numbers.

> I got a very digital read-out yesterday on my way to work: 110.10 miles on the odometer. Cracked
> me up -- what's that in base 10?

5.5 miles, assuming no clipping of the display and it uses the most common binary representation of
floating point numbers.

No, don't mind me, I'll just grab my coat. It's the one with all the nifty digital watches on it. :)

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g mathematician, n.: Some one who believes
imaginary things appear right before your i's.

On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 17:08:27 GMT, <[email protected]> wrote:

> Claire Petersky <[email protected]> wrote:
>> [email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>
>>> I'm really getting tired of computers and numbers.
>
>> I got a very digital read-out yesterday on my way to work: 110.10 miles on the odometer. Cracked
>> me up -- what's that in base 10?
>
> 5.5 miles, assuming no clipping of the display and it uses the most common binary representation
> of floating point numbers.
>
> No, don't mind me, I'll just grab my coat. It's the one with all the nifty digital watches
> on it. :)

Wouldn't it be 6.5? (Isn't "110" 6?)

--
Bob M in CT Remove 'x.' to reply

On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 20:07:00 GMT, Bob M <[email protected]> from SBC http://yahoo.sbc.com wrote:

>On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 17:08:27 GMT, <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Claire Petersky <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> I got a very digital read-out yesterday on my way to work: 110.10 miles on the odometer. Cracked
>>> me up -- what's that in base 10?
>>
>> 5.5 miles, assuming no clipping of the display and it uses the most common binary representation
>> of floating point numbers.
>>
>> No, don't mind me, I'll just grab my coat. It's the one with all the nifty digital watches
>> on it. :)
>>

>Wouldn't it be 6.5? (Isn't "110" 6?)

Never mind that, what do you call the "decimal" point?

--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace I once decorated my apartment entirely in ten
foot salad forks!!

Bob M <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 17:08:27 GMT, <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Claire Petersky <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> I got a very digital read-out yesterday on my way to work: 110.10 miles on the odometer. Cracked
>>> me up -- what's that in base 10?
>>
>> 5.5 miles, assuming no clipping of the display and it uses the most common binary representation
>> of floating point numbers.
>>
>> No, don't mind me, I'll just grab my coat. It's the one with all the nifty digital watches
>> on it. :)
>>

> Wouldn't it be 6.5? (Isn't "110" 6?)

Doh! You are correct sir.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g "A University without students is like an
ointment without a fly." -- Ed Nather, professor of astronomy at UT Austin

In article <[email protected]>, "Fabrizio Mazzoleni"
<[email protected]> writes:

> "Tom Keats" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>>
>> I'm really getting tired of computers and numbers.
>
> That's nice to hear Tom, but here's a little eye opener for you recreational rider types.

Actually, my riding is more /practical/ than recreational.

Anyhow, I forgot Bourne Shell arithmetic is restricted to integers, and my average speeds are
mixed/rational. That's why 'expr' didn't like my syntax.

I grep'd them out of my journal with something like: $ egrep "A: " | cut -d " " -f 2 >> speeds.txt
to make a data file.

Then I added them up using bc: $ a=0 $ for i in `cat speeds.txt`
> do a=`echo "$a + $i" | bc` done

Finally, I divided the result by the number of lines in the data file, obtained from: wc -l
speeds.txt

So my "average average" speed, derived from 1 1/2 years of journalizing, is 16 km/h. That ranges
across a lot of short hops to the store, as well as some longer trips to North Delta and suchlike.

The actual numbers were 9701.0 / 591

for a 10 to 20 km out-&-back, I generally average about 18 - 20 km/h.

This morning, I averaged 16.3 coming home from Pauline's (a 5 km trip). But I was hauling a load of
glass cookware I'd left there over the months.

cheers, Tom