• 31 - 35

Votes: 86 40.0%
  • 36 - 40

Votes: 44 20.5%
  • 40+

Votes: 12 5.6%

• Total voters
Fat Lad said:
:rolleyes: I agree entirely, well almost! I just commute 9.7km each way over two hills & use my average/topspeed for motivation. They may not be world records but breaking them is great & I have a wealth of excuses and another day if I don't.

oh and they are 19.4kph avearage with a 51kph top speed.

:cool:

Fat lad, I really like your handle. I prefer bigger guys. ;)

In July I rode the STP, Seattle-to-Portland ride, a distance of 206 miles. My average over the entire ride was 14.9mph.

Saturday I did just over 50miles at 17.2 mph (just under 3 hours). I had a terrible head wind (25-30 mph gusts) for a good part of it (I was down to 10 mph) and a few hills thrown in for good measure. It works out to 80K and 26.5kph. I can live with that.

My "normal" shorter rides I do 20 miles in just about +/-1 hour (32kph). I guess my point in all of this is avg. speed correlates highly with average distance.

Mostly when I (infrequently) reset the average speed it reads around 26.x km/H, about 16 m/H. This is for my commuting hybrid which is heavy-ish and is decked out with fenders/carrier/toolkit/pump/lights/hub dynamo etc with 700/37 el cheapo tires. The commute is 35 km (22 miles) each way and the town I live in is 200 metres above the town I work in, so going to work is always faster than coming home, although there's no hills of any decent size, only a few short rises. It's usually blowing about a minimum of 15- 20 km/H in one direction or another, so generally one ride will be harder for this reason too, although the prevailing westerlie is a cross wind.

When summer really kicks in ( I'm Southern Hemisphere) I'll start taking my old 7 speed road bike I bought cheap second hand, on the night shifts, as I won't need lights then. I'd like to think I could average 30 km/H there and back, maybe more if conditions are favourable.

BTW my fastest time down was 50 minutes (42 km/H) and my slowest up 2 hrs 35 minutes (13.5 km/H). Both were in very strong winds. :)

RalleighOke said:
What is your current average on your MTB or ROAD bike, and in what group are you seeded.
I assume you mean in Kilometers per hour. I ride in a very hilly area and my average is usually around 26 km/hr over a 25 mile loop.

RalleighOke said:
What is your current average on your MTB or ROAD bike, and in what group are you seeded.
When riding solo training rides it's around 29, my club rides are usually around 33 and crits I average around 42.
:cool:

I started logging my rides in February to track speed and distance after buying a bike and starting riding in Jan. Have covered 3800 kms since then at an avg of 26.73 km/h on logged rides. They range from 10/20 km triathlon sprints to 150 km long rides, hilly rides, flat rides...all sorts of stuff. On the TTs in triathlon I avg about 30-32 km/h. On the hilly long rides of 100km/h plus its like 24-26 km/h. On a 50 - 80 km cruise its about 28-30 km/h depending on wind. It has been interesting to track progress - have seen an improvement over the year of about 10 - 15% in speed, Just got a complete bike fitting today so I hope that will add a bit more!

There's this club ride that we do every Wednesday. It's 50Km, starting flat, with the far half of the loop being smallish rolling hills. It's an evening ride, and the headwind usually starts dying out while we're in the hills; so by the time we're back to flattish stuff the tailwind is lost. :( Last year I averaged from 36-39 Kph. The last one of '04, I pulled the group the last 8Km at 48Kph, and topped it off with a 56Kph sprint. Thought I'd had a fourple heart attack but winning the sign sprint was worth it! :D This year I want to break 40Kph for the route.