Votes: 86 40.0%
  • 36 - 40

Votes: 44 20.5%
  • 40+

Votes: 12 5.6%

• Total voters

RalleighOke

Jan 29, 2003
What is your current average on your MTB or ROAD bike, and in what group are you seeded.

Originally posted by RalleighOke
What is your current average on your MTB or ROAD bike, and in what group are you seeded.

I voted, but what kind of average are you talking about?
on flat roads, what distance, group rides, solo rides, races, kms or miles, ... ?

I just put in my average on +/- 100kms solo on flat roads, mildly windy (for West-Flanders, that is), reasonable pacing (75-80% mhr): about 32-33 kms/hr, but that depends on so many factors

Niek

If for training in group it was 32 on a 168km ride last sunday average heart rate of 140(rest 50 max 200 for the record). When talking the 60-80km races I ride the answer is over 40.

We do not have something like seeding in belgium.

That's interesting. How do they determine when you start?

Racing is a lot diferrent over here.
For what we call races you need a licence and they all start together(max200) big races the big teams select their riders(5-8 a team). Most times if you are 2 or 3 minutes behind its over and you are out of it.
There are several races a day all over our country(which is only 200km by 200km big). and there are sevral age based categories. when 18+ you have u23 elite, vets and pro's.
Often you ride something between 10 and 25 laps on the rame circuit, averages most times over 40km/u.

so you don't need to qualify in any way. For national championships you do need to qualify you get pointsbased upon your positin in a race, the number of riders started and the kid of race(speed is of 0 importance)

For the non racers there are recreational rides start is For example between 9 and 12 o'clock you deside yourself when you start, there are seldom road closures or timing. There are little races like in S-A only a few like velomediaine called cyclosportifs are with starts in bunches based upon your time in previous events(this is a recreational ride)

Originally posted by maarten
There are several races a day all over our country(which is only 200km by 200km big).

It's sounds quite fascinating. I pressume most people use bicycles as a means of transport?

It's sounds quite fascinating. I pressume most people use bicycles as a means of transport?

maybe kids

for the rest king automobile is the bos in our country, we have more then enough traffic jams. Its only in China where bicycles are/where the boss.

A good time is +- 28kph in town and the suburbs, 25 on a hilly Audax ride excluding stops, 21 including stops. Max average in town is about 32, and max max just over 60. I'm interested to see what I'll do on the road bike I'm ordering...

as i start the season in training(veteran cyclist)i have from 27-30 ave for 1000-1500 kms.the 2nd reriod is about 30-35 for another 1500 kms.the 2 nd period include some races and a 10 kms chronometre.Then i try to stay in form with long easy rides during summer and after some uphills for the end of the season's Spartakiada(Athens-Sparti 258 kms) and a mountain race.

I have a hilly ride that involves a short down hill and a fair climb, last ride I did it with an average of 28km/h which for me is a good achievement.

I'm a 54yo F Grade rider with a Veteran's cycling club. Last weekend I averaged 30kph over a 5km Time Trial and 32kph in a 48km road race. Our small group was working well with everyone taking their turn in the front.

Originally posted by Tezza
I'm a 54yo F Grade rider with a Veteran's cycling club. Last weekend I averaged 30kph over a 5km Time Trial and 32kph in a 48km road race. Our small group was working well with everyone taking their turn in the front.

I take it your road bike helped a lot? :D

Depends.... On the Kremetart race three weeks ago over 172km, my average was 34.87 km/h. Similar for the Cape Argus tour over 109 km where my average was 34.42. Then on the Hyper to Hyper which is nice and flat my average was 40 - 41 km/h.

> ,< .... whatever -- obviously if you're slower than 25 you don't count :)

Loaded touring in the Berkshires???

Right around 25kph - with a very wide range. I have to spin up some of these grades at about a 'jogging' speed.

Last year I met my goal to sustain (by myself) 36km/hr for 160km. Being a Yank that means 23mph for 100 miles. I had to keep it steady at 24/25mph to do it. Of course in the flat-lands of Florida the hills don't get ya... I had to get a day that was cool and no wind but I pulled it off... I had to do 8 centuries where 6 were at 22mph until I found the magic.

This year I'm going to hop the pond and watch/ride the rest of the Tour (leaving Tuesday) so I didn't try to go for 24mph for 100 miles. Instead I am going for miles for the year. I've done 12 centuries (100 miles) thus far this year... And two 160+mile rides.

I'm right at 4500miles around the begining of July and looking at breaking 9000 miles for the year (14500km)

I'm generally in one of the m any unmentioned <25 catgegories, depeding on who and how and why, tho' if I'm provoked I'll go faster. Seeding? Yea, right :) Heading towards another 7500+ mile year, thanks to the fates cooperating. I've never thought pleasure was increased by getting it over as soon as possible, myself.

Originally posted by maarten
maybe kids

for the rest king automobile is the bos in our country, we have more then enough traffic jams. Its only in China where bicycles are/where the boss.
>>>

Uh, I am 43 yrs old and have never ever driven a car (she brags shamelessly--lol). I have always done all my errands by foot or on my bike. Larger errands my husband does with his car, or I have stuff delivered. I have two 3 speed utility bikes with baskets fitted to the rear sides, and each basket holds one large grocery bag. I also have one on the front of one of my bikes too.

I am very proud of two things in my life: I have never dieted to lose weight, and have never driven a car. I don't even know how to!

Originally posted by HellonWheels
>>>

Uh, I am 43 yrs old and have never ever driven a car (she brags shamelessly--lol). I have always done all my errands by foot or on my bike. Larger errands my husband does with his car, or I have stuff delivered. I have two 3 speed utility bikes with baskets fitted to the rear sides, and each basket holds one large grocery bag. I also have one on the front of one of my bikes too.

I am very proud of two things in my life: I have never dieted to lose weight, and have never driven a car. I don't even know how to!

I guess that really only impresses me if that doesn't mean that you are depend on someone else to drive you places that require a car to get to. I think it's great that you use your bike as much as you do. I just can't imagine being dependent upon someone else to visit my mom, or go on vacation, or bring my kid to soccer. The mass transit system in this country is non-existant outside of large cities.