What's your best excuse to get out for a ride?

kpluiten

Apr 1, 2004
Tell us your favorite excuse to get out and ride. Whether it be an excuse to skip school or work or your court mandated community service, tell us. I'm running out of good ones and I need help. Wild ones usually work best!--KPLUITEN

Reactions: haleylx4
And when you're done with that, what's your best excuse to yourself to not go out riding when you'd rather crack a beer and watch TV :D

Well, my excuse for NOT riding is;

I woke up late and I don't have time.

To ride, I don't need an excuse I just ride....

(1) I need to check whether I have "fast twitch" or "slow twitch" fibres.
(2) I forgot my pump at the coffee shop yesterday.
(3) I'm under team orders.
(4) I'm in base phase. . . gotta do the miles.
(5) I thought I heard a creak in my BB, so I had better check it out before I race this weekend. (replace with "headset" "crank" "brake lever" etc
(6) I just washed my bike, so I had better ride to get it air-dried so that I don't have streak marks all over it.
(7) I think the car's wheel bearings are on their way out, so I had better use my bike.
(8) I must lose weight.
(9) I must gain muscle mass.

er, I think I had used those already, so I perhaps need a few more myself. Good idea.

It's either this or driving bumper-to-bumper in morning peak hour traffic...

(it also helps when on your cycle commute route, you can clearly see the freeway banked up for miles!)

Originally posted by kpluiten
Tell us your favorite excuse to get out and ride. Whether it be an excuse to skip school or work or your court mandated community service, tell us. I'm running out of good ones and I need help. Wild ones usually work best!--KPLUITEN
Because I need to work off last night's pizza! But wait, last night I just had a protein shake and a sandwich. Oh hell, how about the simple fact that I like the way it makes me feel! Then again, sex does the same thing...

"If I don't ride every day, the bearings in my hubs will go bad and I'll have to buy new hubs!"

Alternately you could substitute "doo-dad, thingamajig or kanifflerod" for "bearings/hubs." :D

Reasons to go out:

Because there's only 10 billion years before the sun explodes!

Reasons to not go out:

Paris-Roubaix on Eurosport !!!!!THIS SUNDAY!!!!! (god bless David Duffield!)

Bourg d'Oisans – L'Alpe d'Huez [Wednesday, july 21] on Eurosport (god bless David Duffield!) - Actually I think that's an excuse not to go to work - I'll ride in the morning.

and, er, ho, hummm... errr...........

Originally posted by kpluiten

To Go Out and Ride :

THE MOTHER IN LAW DECIDES TO COME VISITING !
(always manage to get a long distance cycle in when she's around).

"You look like you've put on weight !" comments, are a good motivation too (and I say this to the Mother in Law as well).

Or "would you mind fixing ABC - like I asked you to last week ?"
comments from the wife, are always good motivation to get out
for a long ride.

Reasons not to go out :

Wall-to-wall TDF coverage on Eurosport during July : Dave Duffield
and Sean kelly : excellent.

Being hungover from the night before !

THE MOTHER IN LAW DECIDES TO GO OUT FOR A RIDE !!!!!!!!

when i dont have time i wake up before work/classes and then go riding cuz if i dont i go insane..
if not
say you have wedding to go to
that always work and for some reason no one questions it
and it gives u the weekend to ride!

for more mild ones try
u have to run some errands
u have to lower ur BP

either way enjoy 8)

More often than not, I leave work with the whole diarrhea excuse. Nothing better than getting paid sick time to ride when the roads are empty....heh

To ride:

Never need an excuse!!! I'm in school and working full-time, so if I need an excuse, it's usually something related!!

Not to ride:

I don't think there's been a day when I haven't craved a ride, though the Minnesota weather creates a wonderful excuse for some much needed recovery time!!!

JSWin said:
It's nice out. I need the exercise. What else?
That's about the only excuse I need as well :) Other than that though, the group that I cycle with has a tradition of 'Sunday Ride' and I've definitely used that as an excuse to get out of work and put off chores for a few hours! Finding a new place to ride is always a good excuse too.

I like to go out to get some fresh air in my head If i have some troubles mind-wise. The hard wind especially when it rains really calms me down.

I'm like a few others on here and I don't need an excuse to go and ride I just go. I'm quite lucky in the fact that although I live on the edge of a big city I have a countrypark just a 2 minute ride away and when I come home from work I usually go and have a blast round there.

I live alone at the moment but me and my partner are looking at buying a property together so I have a feeling my cycling freedom will be coming to an abrupt end very soon, so I'd best make the most if it while I can.

I doubt me saying you wash the dishes while I go out on the bike for a couple of hours will go down to well!

I don't need excuses for it since every time I have some spare time I go for a entertaining ride. It is always better if it is beautiful weather outside.