What's your body fat %

dingodog said:
I have heard that the Tanita scale will consistently read approx. five percent high in the normal mode (non sport mode option model) Also that one is to weigh themselves after being up for at least ten hours and well hydrated. Any truth to this?

Which model of Tanita scale would be good to get? I use a non-Tanita model and my BFI is about 26%. I am 40 yo, 5' 11 1/2" and about 207 lbs. When I first started using it about a year ago I was about 215 lbs and 28%. I haven't made much progress but to be honest I haven't given up too many different types of food that are bad for you. I have been riding 140 miles a week the last 5 weeks and have dropped a bit but I still pig out.

5' 11"
3.5% body fat
147 lbs[/QUOTE]

What good is that?

My sustainable wattage is about 270 (for an hours work). I bet on my life there are folk out there who are 20% and can kick my a$$. hence, what use is knowing such a figure? (except if you are LA?!)

ric_stern/RST said:
whilst i don't doubt that you can expend more energy by training for a longer compared to shorter period, there's two points to consider

1) promulgating a "fat burning zone" is, i feel a poor mistake

2) most people are time limited in the training time they have available. In these situations exercising at a low intensity in a fat burning zone (sic) is a complete waste of time. They should exercise at the highest intensity possible for the duration that they have available to them irrespective of where the "fuel" comes from for exercise

ric
Over numerous claims and i can cross refference to a number of books that i have here at the minute, training for shorter periods of time at higher intensities. ie sprinting shorter distances with light recovery on rides\runs.

Will have an effect on the fuel mixture. Glycogen to start >steady state (fat and glycogen) > a higher intensity (glycogen and pyruvate) so inturn as you slow to recover from a sprint you fall back a mixture. so if dropping a mixture where the body gets to recover this does bring you back into the fat burning zone.

if you take time to check the resynthesis process of ATP within the Krebs cycle (the conversion of ADP back to ATP) since muscle cells are well equiped to produce energy very rapidly and when required to keep pace with these requirements until the major energy reserves of the bodys triglycerides - which is stored within the subcutaneous fat cells under the skin. Bla bla bla di bla !!!!!

ohh sorry i forgot a link for biochem guy...
http://wine1.sb.fsu.edu/krebs/krebs.htm
just to keep him happy
http://www.med.unibs.it/~marchesi/lipsynth.html
i'm sorry bio chem guy i will try to post you a few more links i promise.

closesupport said:
Over numerous claims and i can cross refference to a number of books that i have here at the minute, training for shorter periods of time at higher intensities. ie sprinting shorter distances with light recovery on rides\runs.

Will have an effect on the fuel mixture. Glycogen to start >steady state (fat and glycogen) > a higher intensity (glycogen and pyruvate) so inturn as you slow to recover from a sprint you fall back a mixture. so if dropping a mixture where the body gets to recover this does bring you back into the fat burning zone.

if you take time to check the resynthesis process of ATP within the Krebs cycle (the conversion of ADP back to ATP) since muscle cells are well equiped to produce energy very rapidly and when required to keep pace with these requirements until the major energy reserves of the bodys triglycerides - which is stored within the subcutaneous fat cells under the skin. Bla bla bla di bla !!!!!

i'm not sure what you're trying to say?

closesupport said:

just to keep him happy
http://www.med.unibs.it/~marchesi/lipsynth.html
i'm sorry bio chem guy i will try to post you a few more links i promise.

What does this have to do with me? Sorry, but I don't need a link showing the krebs cycle. I've had to map out the krebs cycle by memory many times when I was in college.

ric_stern/RST said:
i'm not sure what you're trying to say?
you know how energy is made especially within the mitochondria, this is energy that is used at a cellular level the 2 main proteins of contraction (or contractile proteins) called actin and myocin, it is a series of complex events which require energy, this contraction of the muscle fibre and muscular movement.

http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/muscle.htm

when a nerve impulse is relayed to the muscle, a change in the electrical properties of a cell surface spread to the whole of the fibre. calcium ions are realeased into the sarcoplasm which provides the stimulus for the acin and myosin to interact.

http://www.earthpulse.com/health/cells.html

have you ever heard of the sliding filement effect, this suggests that in a resting state, ATP combines with the myosin to energise it. every time a muscle contracts energy is used and ATP is changed to ADP. ATP stores within the muscle are extremly small so further supplies must be resynthesized immediately, this is where the fats are required the most many of the energy reactions within the cell are controlled by the relative concentrations of ATP and ADP within it.

http://www.medicdirectsport.com/athletictraining/default.asp?step=4&pid=436

nothing Bio just thought id put you a link in.

closesupport said:
you know how energy is made especially within the mitochondria, this is energy that is used at a cellular level the 2 main proteins of contraction (or contractile proteins) called actin and myocin, it is a series of complex events which require energy, this contraction of the muscle fibre and muscular movement.

http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/muscle.htm

when a nerve impulse is relayed to the muscle, a change in the electrical properties of a cell surface spread to the whole of the fibre. calcium ions are realeased into the sarcoplasm which provides the stimulus for the acin and myosin to interact.

http://www.earthpulse.com/health/cells.html

have you ever heard of the sliding filement effect, this suggests that in a resting state, ATP combines with the myosin to energise it. every time a muscle contracts energy is used and ATP is changed to ADP. ATP stores within the muscle are extremly small so further supplies must be resynthesized immediately, this is where the fats are required the most many of the energy reactions within the cell are controlled by the relative concentrations of ATP and ADP within it.

http://www.medicdirectsport.com/athletictraining/default.asp?step=4&pid=436

And...? I'm well aware of all that. what has that got to do with what i was saying out about "fat burning zones"?

ric_stern/RST said:
And...? I'm well aware of all that. what has that got to do with what i was saying out about "fat burning zones"?
Yes, Closesupport, please say it in plain english. I'm interested since I've seen some reading materials that fast pace=burns glycogen while slow pace=burns fat. Then again some says fast pace=burns glycogen then fat when you run out of glycogen. In fact, I remember in a Bicycling magazine article that Andy Hampsten rode slow pace (not sure what % HR) in the morning with out breakfast and just coffee. This trains his body to burn fat since there is not much glycogen to burn since he did not eat breakfast. I used to do that but I just feel I can go harder and feel stronger when I have some fuel in me before I ride. Just my opinion.

eortiz said:
Yes, Closesupport, please say it in plain english. I'm interested since I've seen some reading materials that fast pace=burns glycogen while slow pace=burns fat. Then again some says fast pace=burns glycogen then fat when you run out of glycogen. In fact, I remember in a Bicycling magazine article that Andy Hampsten rode slow pace (not sure what % HR) in the morning with out breakfast and just coffee. This trains his body to burn fat since there is not much glycogen to burn since he did not eat breakfast. I used to do that but I just feel I can go harder and feel stronger when I have some fuel in me before I ride. Just my opinion.
makes sense dont you think, he's training but i bet a pound to a penny he consumes a large carb meal for breakfast on a race day or loading up to competition. thats like saying that an athlete wuldn't train at altitude because of the lack of air and it would inhibit is training performance. however its a training thing working at altitude makes the body work efficiently compensating the lower levels of oxygen with the introduction of large amounts of erythropoietin naturally so when returning to sea level the athlete is able to provide is muscles with more oxygen. due to the amount of ......

likewise in training i guess the body is trainied to work effectively on what stores it has and since liver fats and glycogen are not availale the body depends on what stores it has available, but when liver fats and other supplies.

Quote:
Author: steve wooton
title: nutrition for sport

if an activity is performed intermittently much lower levels of glycogen utilization will be observed than if the same amount of exercise is performed continuously without any recovery periods. brief higher intensity periods of exercise the lower the rate that glycogen depletion. this may be due to a greater oxidative utilization of glycogen (less lactate formation) or a greater CP utilization in each bout, which would allow the oxygen supplies within the muscle to be recharged and CP to be resynthesised, at lower intensities performed over prolonged periods, the glycogen sparing effect may be a result of a greater fat utilization, lactate clearance or glycogen repletion during recovery.

one feature of intermittent exercise is that recovery periods between bouts enale more work to be performed as the consequences of fatigue are then less noteable. the concentration of lactate in the lood is much lower when work is performed intermittently so, while there is a tendency to spare glycogen during a intermittent exercise, more glycogen may be utilized in total as more work is performed.

endurance training also results in lower rates of glycogen utilization for the same work, acheived through a greater oxidative utilization of glycogen (less glycogen accumulating as lactate) and a greater energy requirement being met by the oxidation of fats and other substrates, such as ketones and amino acids this situation is met by physialogical and metabolic changes which serve to increase the oxidative capacity of a working muscle

1) a greater density of the mitochondria within a cell, leading to an increase in oxidative enzymes
2) increased capilerization more capillaries provide more blood to each muscle cell
3) enhanced glycogenic capabilities of both the liver and the muscle
4) a greater proportion of cardiac output that can be distributed to the working muscle

so the point at which glycogen becomes limiting and contributes to the fatigue process is delayed.

gosh! pity you cant cut and paste from a book.....

noticably bringing about these changes makes the same task easier to perform, however in a competetive situation there is little or no desire to finish in a better conditionin the same time with the same degree of effort, more than likely it is more work will be desired , such that the rate of work is increased and performed to the point of fatigue and discomfort.

well there you go so what we basically saying is that interval training with recovery (not necessarily stopping but easing the pace to recover) it is possible to work at greater intensities and rates drawing the same degree of carb metabolism in conjunction with fat oxidation. in this way the same degree of glycogen depletion will be attained and the subjective impressions of fatigue will be the same , yet the performance will be remarkably enhanced

(quote) sprinting results in lower rates of glycogen for the same amount of work a swell as enhanced buffering capacity.

do i need to continue:............

gotendurance said:
:confused: And the point of this book is?:eek:
>>throws book across room<< *no point, what so ever* the Author must be wrong there is a fat burning zone..... that burns more fat than any other especially during prolonged light exercise.

closesupport said:
>>throws book across room<< *no point, what so ever* the Author must be wrong there is a fat burning zone..... that burns more fat than any other especially during prolonged light exercise.
Ahhhh....the point, yes agreed! ;)

April 2004
46 yr. old
6'-1"
25% BF from Tanita scale
206 lbs. Tanita scale
16 MPH Avg. for 1.5 hours ride

Five months of eating healthier low fat foods and riding 70 miles a week some running, Yoga and time at the gym.

Sep. 2004
47 yr. old
6'-1"
19% BF from Tanita scale
190 lbs. Tanita scale
21 MPH Avg. for 1.5 hour ride

Not great results but for kicks I'm trying a Duathlon Oct 2.

I promised myself a new Trek 5500 when I got to 185, found out last week they stopped making them. LOL

Rich

Estimate #1 based on height and weight
Your "Ponderal Index" is 12.38 which gives an estimated body fat of 26.0% (45.0 pounds of fat)

Estimate #2 based on waist size and weight
Estimated body fat of 11.7% (20.2 pounds of fat)

I bench 225 so I would assume that the second one would be more accurate - where could I get a caliper measurement done?