What's your favorite beer?

limerickman said:
Snug's !!!!!!
They're alive and well here in Ireland.

And I agree, they're frequented by more elderly people who protect their lairs
and are loath to give up a spot in their snug, to anyone not under the age of

I put my name down for a place in the snug down at the local - they said "come back in about 30 + years, whippersnapper".
Hospitality ! Who needs it, eh ?

Limerick,

I have just been up in the Pacific to recover my 82 year old father who had a heart attack while on a cruise with a harem of 75+ year old widows. It was all too much for him. he spent a fortnight in the cardiology ward in Noumea.

While I was in New Caledonia my favorite beer was the locally made Kronenboug 1664. Not that I would drink it any other time, but it was the most agreeable of a bad lot. And I do mean bad!

Until now I had thought that all beer was good!

Kind regards,

limerickman said:
Snug's !!!!!!
They're alive and well here in Ireland.

And I agree, they're frequented by more elderly people who protect their lairs
and are loath to give up a spot in their snug, to anyone not under the age of

I put my name down for a place in the snug down at the local - they said "come back in about 30 + years, whippersnapper".
Hospitality ! Who needs it, eh ?
That's their chimney corner, and we have ours. Different, but all the same. We don't share openly what we really know with others, and we don't broadcast it. It all has its place in the order of things without rocking the social boat for the purpose of gossiping. Now then Landlord make sure the scuttle is full, and the beer is on tap, and we'll you in the morning.

James Bruce Gil said:
...Until now I had thought that all beer was good!...
Advice to all and sundry - When drinking SP (South Pacific) Lager in Papua New Guinea, go for the Export (long-neck bottles) over the stubbies and cans. It's the same beer, but it's easier to see the cigarette butts and other flotsam before you take your first swig.
Other than that, it's a fine beer with sufficient formaldehyde to preserve the body and sufficient alcohol to provide that fuzzy tongue in the morning that we treasure so much.

EoinC said:
Advice to all and sundry - When drinking SP (South Pacific) Lager in Papua New Guinea, go for the Export (long-neck bottles) over the stubbies and cans. It's the same beer, but it's easier to see the cigarette butts and other flotsam before you take your first swig.
Other than that, it's a fine beer with sufficient formaldehyde to preserve the body and sufficient alcohol to provide that fuzzy tongue in the morning that we treasure so much.

EoinC,

Thanks for the tip. I have always leaned towards San Miguel in PNG.

KInd regards,

James Bruce Gil said:
EoinC,

Thanks for the tip. I have always leaned towards San Miguel in PNG.

KInd regards,
I worked there on and off for 3 years (early 90's) and never saw any San Mig (I guess it never made it out to our Bush Camps). I'm headed back over to the Philippines for the weekend a fortnight from now, so I'll see plenty of it then.
Here in Malaysian Borneo I drink Tiger / Anchor / Carlsberg / Heineken / Skol / Hoerregarden (SP?) / Angkor (Cambodian) / Chang (Thai) / Homebrew and bottled Guiness. Black 'n' Tan is always a good heartstarter.

EoinC said:
I worked there on and off for 3 years (early 90's) and never saw any San Mig (I guess it never made it out to our Bush Camps). I'm headed back over to the Philippines for the weekend a fortnight from now, so I'll see plenty of it then.
Here in Malaysian Borneo I drink Tiger / Anchor / Carlsberg / Heineken / Skol / Hoerregarden (SP?) / Angkor (Cambodian) / Chang (Thai) / Homebrew and bottled Guiness. Black 'n' Tan is always a good heartstarter.

EoinC,

The only one you mention that I haven't had a substantial go at is the home brew. I was always windy about the local water even to the extent that I brush my teeth in beer when in Asia.

BTW I think Hoerrgarden is the spelling.

I have travelled to all the mainland states of Malaysia but have not yet made it to Borneo, Sarawak, Brunei or Kallamantan.

Kind regards,

James Bruce Gil said:
EoinC,

The only one you mention that I haven't had a substantial go at is the home brew. I was always windy about the local water even to the extent that I brush my teeth in beer when in Asia.

BTW I think Hoerrgarden is the spelling.

I have travelled to all the mainland states of Malaysia but have not yet made it to Borneo, Sarawak, Brunei or Kallamantan.

Kind regards,
I full-grain homebrew using bottled water. I haven't put down any brews since I transferred from the Peninsula across to Sarawak (mainly due to having an abundance at hand).
I'm now based in Miri (wet), near the Brunei (dry) border. Every weekend there is a flood of Brunei people cross the border into Miri to experience the wonders of alcohol.

EoinC said:
I full-grain homebrew using bottled water. I haven't put down any brews since I transferred from the Peninsula across to Sarawak (mainly due to having an abundance at hand).
I'm now based in Miri (wet), near the Brunei (dry) border. Every weekend there is a flood of Brunei people cross the border into Miri to experience the wonders of alcohol.

EoinC,

I am very familiar with that process, I worked 3 years in Saudi Arabia and used to regularly dash across the causway to Bahrain for a drink, when I ran out of my alcoholic's weekly ration.

Kind regards,

Ruedy said:
OK. Here's a subject I think won't start an argument.

What's your favorite beer?

I've got many I like but an old standby for me is St. Pauli Girl Dark.
Greene King IPA is good and not too strong, so that you can quench your thirst and still cycle home.
Hopback Summer Lightning is very drinkable but you have to be careful, a few of these will put you over the limit.
Youngs Golden Zest is perfect for summer, and not bad at any time.
&c.
&c.

limerickman said:
Guinness - numero uno.

Like beers from around the world though :

Canada - Moosehead.
Scotland - Tennants.
England - had a relative that owned a pub in Kent years ago, they used to stock an ale called Watneys, very nice it was too.
Holland - Heineken.
Belgium - Stella Artois.
France - a beer called Kanter (drank some after the 2004 Etape - very nice it was too).
USA - Michelob.
Itala - Peroni
Espana - didn't drink beer in Spain but had a nice white win in the Navarre region from a vineyard called Martin Kodax (very nice it was too).
I think myself and Limerickman would get on quite well if we were to meet in a bar/pub, (except for the Heineken). ;) Some of my faves:

~ England: Watney's Red Barrel Ale & Cream Stout (alas, I can't find it here in the States anymore :( )

~ Belgium: Stella Artois (always excellent, and doesn't give me a hangover!)

~ Mexico: Dos Equis XX Amber (NOT the other **** Dos Equis)

~ Germany: Spaten Premium Lager & Optimator Dark

~ USA: Michelob Amber Bock

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Ben Franklin

Wurm said:
I think myself and Limerickman would get on quite well if we were to meet in a bar/pub, (except for the Heineken). ;) Some of my faves:

~ England: Watney's Red Barrel Ale & Cream Stout (alas, I can't find it here in the States anymore :( )

This is the first time ever that I have heard anyone say that they actually liked Red Barrel. Of course, you probably had a different version of the stuff than they manufactured for the home market.
Watneys have brewed some good beers, but Red Barrel wasn't one of them.

"The worker is worthy of his reward." -Jesus.

Don Shipp said:
This is the first time ever that I have heard anyone say that they actually liked Red Barrel. Of course, you probably had a different version of the stuff than they manufactured for the home market.
Watneys have brewed some good beers, but Red Barrel wasn't one of them.
I dunno Don, but the stuff I had was pretty good. I used to buy it whenever I could find it. But meh...opinions vary. The Cream Stout was really good, but even harder to come by.

Wurm said:
I dunno Don, but the stuff I had was pretty good. I used to buy it whenever I could find it. But meh...opinions vary. The Cream Stout was really good, but even harder to come by.
It's pretty academic now they don't make it any more, but out of interest do you know if the American version was brewed in the States, or in England? Sometimes the stuff made for export is better.

Heck, I didn't know it wasn't made anymore! I think it was actually brewed & bottled in Canada, then shipped around the U.S., though I'm not 100% sure.

shannons dad said:
Us real men drink Guinness.

Bill.

God invented beer to prevent the Irish taking over the world!

Bill,

Believe me, you'd have to be a real man to drink the Guinness over here. We rarely get the genuine stuff. In Dublin I wouldn't drink anything else.

As for the Irish not taking over the world; I have travelled to more than sixty countries in my time and the only place that I did not find an Irishman in a pub was in Tuvalu. Word has it that one had left a few days before I arrived.

I don't think that beer has stopped the Irish taking over the world. They seem to be able to drink most things when the Guinness & Jamison runs out.

Kind regards,

Did I post here already???, I don't remember!.

But it doesn't matter, the best beer in the hole world is the Mexican !!!! (please check the brand "Bohemia" and all its international awards if you don't believe me).

My favorites (from dark to clear, finisishig with the light ones): Bohemia, Indio, XX Amber, Victoria, Pacífico, Estrella, Montejo (so delicious and hard to find in Monterrey), Tecate light (only in glass bottle) and Modelo light.

Oh!, Oh!, and I forgot to say that I love Guiness!!, I buy it when I have a chance at the Duty Free, in Dallas or Houston. I don't know if it's "the real stuff".

Corona and Sol sucks!!

Wurm said:

You drink the best beer in México (in my opinion), the Dos Equis XX Amber. As you, I think the green one is a ****....

Did you tried "Victoria"???, if you liked the Amber one you would like "Victoria" also. Another you probably would like is "Montejo", but it's hard to find since it's made by an independent company from Mérida. (meaning it's not a brand from the "monster" Cuahutémoc-Moctezuma company).