What's your favorite beer?

eric_the_red said:
Mostly drink my homebrew, because most of the beer sold in this part of the world isn't worth drinking, and the few that are are not cheap. But I was back in the UK last month and had a few pints of Timothy Taylor's Landlord, very nice, makes my mouth water just writing about it.
Timmy Taylors Landlord has got everything. And Theakstons Old Peculier(sic) on draught. The name derived from a brew made for the Peculier, who were the district councillors, and only specially brewed for their consumption at the meetings.

Azulene said:
A new German beer claims to be an anti-aging tonic.
Klosterbraueri Neuzelle, a former monastery brewery in Neuzelle, Germany, says it has developed a beer named Bathbeer that is designed to slow the aging process. The beverage contains vitamins, minerals and an algae called spirulina.
The beer, which is expected to be introduced this week, claims to provide rejuvenation through either drinking or dabbing on the skin. In addition to Germany, it will be released in the United States, Poland and South Korea.
The drink, like any other alcoholic beverage, can cause intoxication and, of course, hangovers. "Please be advised, that our anti aging beer contains alcohol, 4.8 percent," the label says.
Interestingly, one problem with the beer is that its manufacture might not be legal under Germany's beer purity regulation. The Reinheitsgebot, as it is called, is the world's oldest valid law, dating from 1516. It requires that beer contain only four ingredients: hops, barley, yeast and water.
The matter is expected to be taken up in court soon, and the brewery could be required to label the product something other than beer.
As for whether or not it really does work as any anti-aging tonic, if the brew doesn't do anything when you dab it on your skin, you can always go the traditional route and use it to drown your sorrows.

I wounder if it will make us a better Cyclist? At my age I will need to buy it by the keg.
If you like the taste sup it, you're obviously beyond redemption as far as racing is concerned. Just get ****** and talk to yourself.

Guinness - numero uno.

Like beers from around the world though :

Canada - Moosehead.
Scotland - Tennants.
England - had a relative that owned a pub in Kent years ago, they used to stock an ale called Watneys, very nice it was too.
Holland - Heineken.
Belgium - Stella Artois.
France - a beer called Kanter (drank some after the 2004 Etape - very nice it was too).
USA - Michelob.
Itala - Peroni
Espana - didn't drink beer in Spain but had a nice white win in the Navarre region from a vineyard called Martin Kodax (very nice it was too).

jhuskey said:
limerickman said:
Guinness - numero uno.

Lim, I would have won that bet if I had made it. As far as your favorite that is.

1759 they started brewing Guinness, in my home town of Dublin.
They still do make Guinness there, but most of the stuff consumed these days
is manufactured elsewhere (Britain and Nigeria).
Guinness is owned by Diageo (a British multinational) - the connections with Ireland are almost gone now.

limerickman said:
Guinness - numero uno.

Like beers from around the world though :

Canada - Moosehead.
Scotland - Tennants.
England - had a relative that owned a pub in Kent years ago, they used to stock an ale called Watneys, very nice it was too.
Holland - Heineken.
Belgium - Stella Artois.
France - a beer called Kanter (drank some after the 2004 Etape - very nice it was too).
USA - Michelob.
Itala - Peroni
Espana - didn't drink beer in Spain but had a nice white win in the Navarre region from a vineyard called Martin Kodax (very nice it was too).
Best Pint of Guinessshhhh, anuzzer pleesh. The Oirish clubs in Manchester, and the Showbands. The 'Crown' in Belfast.
Kent had some good local beers. Grotneys wasn't one of them.
Belgium make the best beers.
Spain. Estrella Dorada.
France and the rest. Can't beat Leffe on draught(pression)
The Bavarians make nice stuff, but they drink it all.
I wasn't allowed to imbibe in the Devils potions, so I shot the messager in the covered wagon.

Weisse Luft said:
Technically speaking, any fermented beverage made from any malted grain and using either saccaromyces cervisiae or s. uvarium as the yeast is a beer.

The beer commonly found in stores is typically fermented with the latter, sometimes called s. carlsburggenesis. This yeast produces a lager, so named because it must be stored or aged cold to drop the yeast out of suspension. It also ferments at cooler temperatures.

Homebrews can be much closer to traditional beers because the malt is usually from one type of grain. A single malt in other words. Most commercial beer uses a different type of barley which allows use of cheaper grains due to higher enzyme levels in this six row barley. Traditional malts are made from two row and have only enough enzymes to convert the starchy endosperm into a fermentable mix of sugars.

Yes, one can brew lagers at home. A spare refrigerator, set up for higher temperatures (50 F), are commonly used to keep the brewing process at the right temperature.

I brew my own from scratch. Well, I buy malted barley for $28 per hundred pounds. That makes about 40 gallons. Total cost with hops and yeast is still under $1 per gallon and its far better than what you can buy in the store.

My favorite is a coffee stout which I developed long before Drew Carey and Buzz beer. I crystalize a portion of the malt with cracked coffee beans...

Huskey,

Thanks foe sending me here.

Beer is a pure food.

In the forum so far I've not detected a bad one. :D

Is there any bad beer? Most of us can remember a bad meal, but a bad beer?

Kind regards,

limerickman said:
Guinness is owned by Diageo (a British multinational) - the connections with Ireland are almost gone now.

Up to my generation my ancestors mostly made their own (homebrew,moonshine.corn-liqour, but it is a dying art but more alive here in the mountains than most anywhere else in the states.
I never learned the trade but have sampled a lot of the offerings of those than still keep the tradition alive.

FredC said:
Best Pint of Guinessshhhh, anuzzer pleesh. The Oirish clubs in Manchester, and the Showbands. The 'Crown' in Belfast.
Kent had some good local beers. Grotneys wasn't one of them.
Belgium make the best beers.
Spain. Estrella Dorada.
France and the rest. Can't beat Leffe on draught(pression)
The Bavarians make nice stuff, but they drink it all.
I wasn't allowed to imbibe in the Devils potions, so I shot the messager in the covered wagon.

Dulwich - is that not in Kent ?
I am sure it was an ale called Watneys.
maybe I'm wrong.

The Oirish clubs would be well stocked with the Black Stuff.

James Bruce Gil said:
Huskey,

Thanks foe sending me here.

Beer is a pure food.

In the forum so far I've not detected a bad one. :D

Is there any bad beer? Most of us can remember a bad meal, but a bad beer?

Kind regards,

Can't attest to a bad beer - a bad drink though ?
How about Poiteen (made from potato skins - called hooch in the USA) ?
it not only rips the air from your system as your drink it, it's pure rocket fuel.
Dreadful.

Not far off the bottom of the barrel of bad drink is Grappa - drank it in Italy
at a wedding reception.
Thought I'd died.
Woeful.

limerickman said:
Dulwich - is that not in Kent ?
I am sure it was an ale called Watneys.
maybe I'm wrong.

The Oirish clubs would be well stocked with the Black Stuff.

Limeric,

I think it was a joke ---- Grot----neys. I've got to say i didn't go much on Watneys either. And I don't have enough courage to drink Courage!

Kind regards,

James Bruce Gil said:
Limeric,

I think it was a joke ---- Grot----neys. I've got to say i didn't go much on Watneys either. And I don't have enough courage to drink Courage!

Kind regards,

Fred appears to a call it Grotneys !
maybe I'm wrong.

Aussie beers : Tooheys (not bad), Fosters (very nice), Castlemaine XXXX (bit too lagery for me).

limerickman said:
Nigeria for fecks sake what sort of water quality is that. I saw some big chief from Interbrew trying to justify closing Boddingtons brewery down, saying that their water boffins can replicate the trace elements in the water. That's absolute bollocks. The reason why Wilsons( watneys eventually), and Boddingtons, and Lees, and Oldham Breweries prospered and brewed was because below the clay level is trapped glacial water slowly giving itself up.
Must have a swig.

limerickman said:
Fred appears to a call it Grotneys !
maybe I'm wrong.

Aussie beers : Tooheys (not bad), Fosters (very nice), Castlemaine XXXX (bit too lagery for me).

Limeric,

Crown Lager, James Boags Premium, Cascade Premium & Hahn Premium are the pick here. A pity they are all lagers if you don't like them.

They are in front of Grappa though. :p

Kind regards,

FredC said:
Nigeria for fecks sake what sort of water quality is that. I saw some big chief from Interbrew trying to justify closing Boddingtons brewery down, saying that their water boffins can replicate the trace elements in the water. That's absolute bollocks. The reason why Wilsons( watneys eventually), and Boddingtons, and Lees, and Oldham Breweries prospered and brewed was because below the clay level is trapped glacial water slowly giving itself up.
Must have a swig.

Yes, Fred, Nig bloody geria.
Terrible.
I mean Guinness was known as Liffey water (river Liffey, Dublin).
Diageo & Co decided to open a massive plant in West Nigeria.
So when your suppin' down t'club, you know where it came from.

Hey - do you remember the "Wheeltappers and Social Shuntters Club" ?
Colin Crompton & Co ?

James Bruce Gil said:
Limeric,

Crown Lager, James Boags Premium, Cascade Premium & Hahn Premium are the pick here. A pity they are all lagers if you don't like them.

They are in front of Grappa though. :p

Kind regards,

Sorry, JBG, I have never heard or tried any of them.
Haven't even seen them in this country (and God knows they'll drink anything here !)

limerickman said:
Sorry, JBG, I have never heard or tried any of them.
Haven't even seen them in this country (and God knows they'll drink anything here !)

Limeric,

Taking Australian beer to Europe is like taking coals to Newcastle. The closest to Europe I've ever seen Crown Lager is Singapore. :)

Kind regards,

FredC said:
Must have a swig.

While I think of it - if you're a whiskey man, I recommend a place in San Sebastian, Espana, if you're ever there.

It's a whisky bar - sells nothing but whiskey.
He stocks whiskies from all over the world - some of the stuff you can't get
any more (ever here of "House of Peers" or "House of Commons" ?).
The bar is called 'El Museo del Whisky' : piano bar, nice place too.

Thinking about it - he even has a brand called Marion Wayneker whiskey there
as well.

James Bruce Gil said:
Limeric,

Taking Australian beer to Europe is like taking coals to Newcastle. The closest to Europe I've ever seen Crown Lager is Singapore. :)

Kind regards,

Fosters is pretty popular here though.

Big push on Castlemaine here and in Britain, during the late 80's but it's disappeared.

limerickman said:
Fosters is pretty popular here though.

Big push on Castlemaine here and in Britain, during the late 80's but it's disappeared.

Limeric,

Last time I looked at a Fosters can in Ireland it was brewed under license locally. It was also only 330 ml. All our local beers except a few of the boutique ones are in 375 ml rations bottle or can. We get locally brewed Guiness here also, but believe me it is not up to the par of the genuine stuff. :eek:

KInd regards,