What's your favorite beer?

limerickman said:
Yes, Fred, Nig bloody geria.
Terrible.
I mean Guinness was known as Liffey water (river Liffey, Dublin).
Diageo & Co decided to open a massive plant in West Nigeria.
So when your suppin' down t'club, you know where it came from.

Hey - do you remember the "Wheeltappers and Social Shuntters Club" ?
Colin Crompton & Co ?
I thought you knew that it was my land, Colin Crompton lost the end of his finger when he worked for the Parks department. Bernard Manning a great man, and has always done a lot for Jewish Charities. Simple, and genuine to the extreme.
I've heard whispers that Guinness is brewed by blacks in Nigeria, the problem is that we can't find them until their relations complain that they haven't come home for their tea.

James Bruce Gil said:
Limeric,

Last time I looked at a Fosters can in Ireland it was brewed under license locally. It was also only 330 ml. All our local beers except a few of the boutique ones are in 375 ml rations bottle or can. We get locally brewed Guiness here also, but believe me it is not up to the par of the genuine stuff. :eek:

KInd regards,
Aussies drinking boutique beers, what next in the frock shop. Time for another influx of criminal men from England. Penal contrition, will come by QQeertos

FredC said:
Aussies drinking boutique beers, what next in the frock shop. Time for another influx of criminal men from England. Penal contrition, will come by QQeertos

FC (and I mean FredC not the other meaning).

I don't think its solely down to Aussies.

This global tourism thing. There are all sorts of wankers arriving here every day. You know the saying about fools and their money being easily separated. Boutique beer brands are being created almost on a daily basis. Most don't last very long.

However, the tourist cargo cultists oganise bus tours around these places and the tourists, (note I didn't say travellers) swan around and drink the stuff out of 330ml containers.

As for the frock shop business, we've got our share of cross dressers too. Be suspicious of any sheila tour guide.

Send us the the criminal sheilas we need them urgently. They may be able to be rehabilitated and we will place them out in St Sara b'Beers where their full potential can be reached.

Kind regards,

James Bruce Gil said:
FC (and I mean FredC not the other meaning).

I don't think its solely down to Aussies.

This global tourism thing. There are all sorts of wankers arriving here every day. You know the saying about fools and their money being easily separated. Boutique beer brands are being created almost on a daily basis. Most don't last very long.

However, the tourist cargo cultists oganise bus tours around these places and the tourists, (note I didn't say travellers) swan around and drink the stuff out of 330ml containers.

As for the frock shop business, we've got our share of cross dressers too. Be suspicious of any sheila tour guide.

Send us the the criminal sheilas we need them urgently. They may be able to be rehabilitated and we will place them out in St Sara b'Beers where their full potential can be reached.

Kind regards,
Something somewhere thought it was Sheilaghs. Please amend.

FredC said:
Something somewhere thought it was Sheilaghs. Please amend.

Fred,

We speak and spell Manglish down this way. Sort of similar to English, but succinctly different.

Kind regrds,

(Trying not to take the **** of anyone who said Budwieser)

Lived in Dublin for two years and loved the guiness, but my fav??? A good pint of John Smiths...

James Bruce Gil said:
Fred,

We speak and spell Manglish down this way. Sort of similar to English, but succinctly different.

Kind regrds,

Fred,

Just so you don't think I am telling Johnnies;

sheila
noun a woman: a couple of sheilas told me; a great-looking sheila. [probably from Sheila an Irish girl's name]

This is an extract from the Macquarie Australian Dictionary of Aussie slang.

BTW Johnnies are lies, fibs etc Derived from a politician's name.

Kind regards,

Ssushi said:
(Trying not to take the **** of anyone who said Budwieser)

Lived in Dublin for two years and loved the guiness, but my fav??? A good pint of John Smiths...

Ssus,

Have you tried the original Budwieser that is the Czech beer. There's not too much to grumble about with that.

Kind regards,

limerickman said:
1759 they started brewing Guinness, in my home town of Dublin.
They still do make Guinness there, but most of the stuff consumed these days
is manufactured elsewhere (Britain and Nigeria).
Guinness is owned by Diageo (a British multinational) - the connections with Ireland are almost gone now.
Sorry to disappoint but it was invented by an Englishman in covent garden. He owned a brewery there, occasionally he would burn the hops and end up making this very dark beer - nicknamed Porter because he sold it on cheap to the porters. Mr guiness who had a brewery in Dublin came over to London, liked and took the recipe back.. the rest as they say is history...

Story is confirmed by the use of the word 'porter' in Ireland instead of 'beer'...

Ssushi said:
Sorry to disappoint but it was invented by an Englishman in covent garden. He owned a brewery there, occasionally he would burn the hops and end up making this very dark beer - nicknamed Porter because he sold it on cheap to the porters. Mr guiness who had a brewery in Dublin came over to London, liked and took the recipe back.. the rest as they say is history...

Story is confirmed by the use of the word 'porter' in Ireland instead of 'beer'...

You do realise that you've just blown the tourist trade in Dublin !
Tourist numbers will drop by the tens of thousands, cause of you !

I think Arthur Guinness (who founded the Brewery) might well have been english.
Yes, Guinness is called stout or porter here.

Weisse Luft said:
Technically speaking, any fermented beverage made from any malted grain and using either saccaromyces cervisiae or s. uvarium as the yeast is a beer.

The beer commonly found in stores is typically fermented with the latter, sometimes called s. carlsburggenesis. This yeast produces a lager, so named because it must be stored or aged cold to drop the yeast out of suspension. It also ferments at cooler temperatures.

Homebrews can be much closer to traditional beers because the malt is usually from one type of grain. A single malt in other words. Most commercial beer uses a different type of barley which allows use of cheaper grains due to higher enzyme levels in this six row barley. Traditional malts are made from two row and have only enough enzymes to convert the starchy endosperm into a fermentable mix of sugars.

Yes, one can brew lagers at home. A spare refrigerator, set up for higher temperatures (50 F), are commonly used to keep the brewing process at the right temperature.

I brew my own from scratch. Well, I buy malted barley for $28 per hundred pounds. That makes about 40 gallons. Total cost with hops and yeast is still under $1 per gallon and its far better than what you can buy in the store.

My favorite is a coffee stout which I developed long before Drew Carey and Buzz beer. I crystalize a portion of the malt with cracked coffee beans...
Do you get the Rabbi and the Shekita board to bless it and pronounce it Koshered befor you drink it?

jhuskey said:
Up to my generation my ancestors mostly made their own (homebrew,moonshine.corn-liqour, but it is a dying art but more alive here in the mountains than most anywhere else in the states.
I never learned the trade but have sampled a lot of the offerings of those than still keep the tradition alive.
You must know the Clampetts then.

limerickman said:
Dulwich - is that not in Kent ?
I am sure it was an ale called Watneys.
maybe I'm wrong.

The Oirish clubs would be well stocked with the Black Stuff.
Interesting story, how Watneys effed up Beer. At one time they made real ale, then they bought out a brewery called Manns. Both of them southern based. They decided to forage in the north. The traditional suppers of vast quantities, and they bought out Wilsons. They bombarded the pubs with some pastureised keg shite called Watneys Red Barrel. It didn't sell, and the boozers carried supping the live Wilsons bitter. That how it became to be known as 'Grotneys'. The stupid idea was that wherever you were in the country you could enjoy? a pint just as you could at home in your local.

James Bruce Gil said:
Ssus,

Have you tried the original Budwieser that is the Czech beer. There's not too much to grumble about with that.

Kind regards,

Haven't tried the original "Czech Budweiser" but American Bud SUCKS!
Don't know why it's so popular here.

Ruedy said:
Haven't tried the original "Czech Budweiser" but American Bud SUCKS!
Don't know why it's so popular here.

Post prohibition beers were made of cheaper ingredients. The breweries learned how to do this when the only thing they could make was near-beer. When the repeal was signed, the population was used to drinking lighter stuff and going to a single malt, 2-row barley brew cost more. But there are a few, less expensive brews out there using 100% 2-row barley malt. Lonestar is one example. The Bud/Miller crowd generally dislke it.

Odd because 2-row barley was the favored grain for beer as it was hard to process into flour etc. owing to its hard endosperm and husk retention. Now rice, corn and refined starches are used as the bulk starch and a smaller batch of 6-row barley malt is used to supply the necessary enzymes to convert it to fermentable wort.

James Bruce Gil said:
Is there any bad beer? Most of us can remember a bad meal, but a bad beer?

Any American export beer, and most of their large volume domestics. Any Australian export beer (remember, rest of the world, no Australian EVER drinks Fosters - except just once, to see what all the fuss is about), and any of their large volume domestics - although they're much better than the American ones.
Any export beer? Actually, not so, I've never had a bad Czech beer and Pilsner Urquell is sublime.
British ales - I've never tasted one I'd return to, although I keep trying. (I know, I've done it now- I'm quaking in my pajamas).

James Bruce Gil said:
Crown Lager, James Boags Premium, Cascade Premium & Hahn Premium are the pick here. A pity they are all lagers if you don't like them.

How can a Sydney man fail to mention James Squire - best Australian beer, and brewed in Camperdown! Pilsner and IPA to die for. It's the new Hahn Premium: Chuck Hahn is the brewer.