What's Your Favorite Bike Chain?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by SLClimber, Aug 24, 2006.

1. SLClimber

SLClimber New Member

I've had Ultegra on my mountain bike, now a Dura Ace 10 Speed. My LBS recommends I move up to a Wipperman to help with some shifting issues. What is your favorite chain? Is the jump from Dura Ace to something like a Wipperman ConneX10S1 worth it (it's about $100) - I hear the shifting is more precise and you feel the gear changes. The Dura Ace has more of a slow shift (like a stick shift versus an automatic.)

Has anyone gone for the Titanium Wipperman? What did they think? $350 for a chain seems totally insane to me. Mind you so did spending over $2k on a bike before a few years ago! ;-)

Tags:

2. tigradekat

tigradekat New Member

Your dealer is selling crap. On a well adjusted drivetrain there really is no difference in shifting performance between chains. If you have shifting issues, there is something wrong. a $100 chain will not solve that.

3. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

The one on the end of my whip. :eek:

4. tigradekat

tigradekat New Member

Wait a minute, you are running a 10 speed chain on your mountain bike? And your dealer is trying to sell you a $100 chain to alleviate shifting issues? Man, you are being taken for a ride. See my previous post. You are running a chain that's incompatible with the rest of your drive chain. Get a 9 speed CS-HG93 chain and CHANGE DEALERS.

5. SLClimber

SLClimber New Member

Oh boy this was a misleading post.... Sorry this is not for my mountain bike. I'm running a 9 speed ultegra on my mountain bike, love it no complaints. I have a 10 speed dura ace on my road bike, but was interested if people think chain upgrades to something like a wipperman are worth it. I agree I don't believe the chain would fix shifting issues, might make it smoother, but shouldn't change whether or not the bike will actually shift. Sorry about that.

6. tigradekat

tigradekat New Member

Ah, the fog clears...:p

However, nowadays a chain is a chain is a chain basically. No significant design changes between them, no matter what the package says.

Just curious, in what way is the performance of your shifting lacking? I am running a Dura Ace drivetrain myself, and cannot imagine anything that would make shifting more precise/smooth etc.

7. jmoryl

jmoryl New Member

Any of the Shimano 10 spd. chains (even 105) should work fine if properly installed, adjusted and maintained. I've also had good luck with KMC and IRD 10 spd. chains and others swear by Wipperman. But the latter comes in various forms, with the basic nickel plated version costing under $50. Not sure what your shop was trying to sell, but I'd be wary of a $100 chain.....

8. SLClimber

SLClimber New Member

Thanks for the input... here's the issues I've been having I had posted it under another thread just on the S-Works Chain Rings.... See what you can make of it.

I have a 2006 Specialized Tarmac SL S-Works and from day one I experienced problems shifting up to the biggest front chain ring. It would shift up sometime but often it would not get across far enough to get up. I also experienced a lot of rubbing on the front derailer in a variety of gearing configurations. Trimming did nothing to solve the problem. I took it back to my LBS for a lot of adjustments.

The problems were varied (most relating to the setup). The chain was too tight when crimped. It didn't flex properly. They did that again and that fixed that issue. The front derailer was apparently not in the correct position so that was moved (it was too low). They said it was fine but as soon as I was on the road, I'd have problems.

Last time I went the chain was getting ditched into the gap between the two chain rings. This was frustrating as well as dangerous. I went in and they started to blame the chain rings, saying the Specialized S-Works Chain Rings are not very well made and you just won't get a good shift. They recommended changing to Dura Ace. I did this (at my cost) and now have the Dura Ace chain rings on the bike. I'm not entirely satisfied with this approach for a couple of reasons. The spider doesn't fit the chain ring properly (cosmetically that is) and it doesn't look as nice as the bike did at the start. Changing the spider is not so easy as the SL has an oversized crank so I'm not sure what my options are at this point. Has anyone else changed their cranks on the SL, what did you go for and how was it?

I called Specialized and they admitted there had been some initial problems with the S-Works Chain rings in the past but everything should be okay now. Has anyone else had this issue?

9. rayhuang

rayhuang New Member

Sell your Dura ace chainrings barely used on e-bay and have specialized send you new chainrings!! Theyve admitted that there was a problem, make them owe up to there bad run of product. Its bad business if they dont. Tell them when your chain skips to the middle of the rings on a sprint and you go over the bars-they pay your insurance deductable and buy you a new bike and new teeth!!!! :)

10. tigradekat

tigradekat New Member

So the swith to Dura Ace rings has stopped the shifting issues? Reading your reply it seems that your current problems are just cosmetic. I am sorry to say that most cranks are not up to par with Shimano as far as shifting is concerned. If I were you i'd take shifting performance over looks any day of the week.

That said, I can imagine that your current set-up is not a pretty sight. Unfortunately current trend dictates a carbon crank of some sort on highish-end bikes. As Shimano does not make one, a lot of Taiwanese [email protected] is being put on bikes (think FSA), often compromising performance. Alas, this will not change as long as people take the sub par quality of FSA et al for granted just because they look sexy.

11. lks

lks New Member

I have 50,000 miles, only using stainless steel Wippermann/Campy chains. I have not found that they cost anymore,"PER MILE", than Record and Dura-Ace. I have never been able to get a chain as clean, on a bike as when it is off, which you can do with a Wippermann because it has a master link you remove with you fingers. I have been able to buy my chains for about $50,when they are on sale, so I stock up then. Currently they go for about $65, I think. I don't know what the Shimano goe's for, but you can find that on the web.