What's Your Favorite Grip Tape?

meehs

Nov 7, 2003
I was retaping the handlebars on my cross bike last night and I thought of this. I've always used Cinelli cork tape and I don't think I've ever really even tried anything else. I know it's a small thing but... What kind of grip tape do you like? Why do you like it? Maybe I'll try something else next time.

meehs said:
I was retaping the handlebars on my cross bike last night and I thought of this. I've always used Cinelli cork tape and I don't think I've ever really even tried anything else. I know it's a small thing but... What kind of grip tape do you like? Why do you like it? Maybe I'll try something else next time.

I use cork-tape as well.
For the life of me I can't remember the brand name.
But it's fine - and it durable and comfortable.

I used to use a leather-type tape when I was racing years ago.
It had a great gripe with just the right amount of flexibility.
It was more expensive than other bar tape but back then I was prepared to buy what I thought was th best stuff.
Must dig out the name of the gripe for you - you may well be able to source it
Stateside.

meehs said:

I also use Cinelli cork. Doesnt help you consider any other choices though. :eek:

I just switched over to Cinelli cork from Profile Design Bar Wrap. The Profile stuff has a softer feel, and is easier to wrap because it has a more stretch to it. The Cinelli is more durable and grips better when wet.

meehs said:
I used to use that vinyl tape with the tiny holes and the crinkly texture, because it was really stretchable and I could get it on tightly and it would last forever. Since I haven't been able to find it anywhere for quite some time, I've switched to the Cinelli cork wrap, and I've been pleased with it. Doesn't last quite as long, but it has a better feel.

meehs said:
Another vote for Cinelli cork. If you want to blow some cash, try the Specialized Bar Phat or the new Fizik tape. Seems like overkill to me.

meehs said:
Try Stella Azzurra Spugno. Nice grip and a little softer than Cinelli. MY LBS sells it for a couple bucks less than Cinelli too. I also like Profile as far as easiest to wrap and durability.

I used to use Cinelli, but I hate the sticky stuff on the underside and its a total pain when it comes to getting it off during a re-tape job or if you screw up on the wrap. I switch last year to profile design as its more flexible and can be re-wrapped as it has no sticky on the underside. I just re-taped a couple of weeks ago and went with Bontrager gel tape. It doesn't have a lot of gel on the underside, but just enough to give the bar a tad more diameter and a slight gel sponginess. My hands seem to like the bigger diameter and the gel feels nice too. It has no sticky either so re-wrapping is no problem.

I used to use the Colnago or Stella Azzurra...then I tried the new Fizik gel tape. All I can say is WOW...pricey though.

Nik H

cydewaze said:
I used to use that vinyl tape with the tiny holes and the crinkly texture, because it was really stretchable and I could get it on tightly and it would last forever. Since I haven't been able to find it anywhere for quite some time, I've switched to the Cinelli cork wrap, and I've been pleased with it. Doesn't last quite as long, but it has a better feel.
Impossible to locate here in SoCal, but recently found Ambrosio lightly padded vinyl at Excelsports. I prefer vinyl only because white vinyl cleans up better than cork. Because of cork's natural porosity, dirt gets embedded, leaving white cork permanently discolored. White aero hoods, bar tape and saddle all complement the white Trek graphics on my blue frame......my choice for now until a new ride comes along.

BTW, Westley's Bleche-White, an automotive grade white/blackwall cleaner, works great on vinyl and those colored sidewalls.

meehs said:
Another vote for Cinelli Cork. I've tried the vintage Benotto Cello tape, as well as cloth tape, but the Cinelli feels much better, although it needs to be replaced fairly often.

Cinelli cork is can't-go-wrong in terms of grip and feel. That said, I'm using Deda's Carbon Tape in silver on one of my bikes, and it's pretty interesting--it's vinyl or some variant, from what I can tell, so it has that firm, stretchy-taut quality, far less spongy than cork but very solid. Stays impeccably clean, and seems to last forever. Though it's heavily textured, I'd say the grip is inferior to a good squishy cork tape.

Cinelli Cork for the reasons mentioned including lokstah's review of another vinyl variant. Vinyl's have better wear resistance but even though they typically are more textured to compensate for their adhesion deficit...they are no match for the excellent tactile feel of cork.
George

biker7 said:
Cinelli Cork for the reasons mentioned including lokstah's review of another vinyl variant. Vinyl's have better wear resistance but even though they typically are more textured to compensate for their adhesion deficit...they are no match for the excellent tactile feel of cork.
George
George, not to hijack the thread, but for giggles, what are you riding? It's part of any formal cyclist introduction. You've obviously got a Bianchi. Care to gush a little?