What's your favorite rain gear for commuting, etc?

Matt O'Toole

Guest
Just as the subject says... I'm headed to DC tomorrow, and I plan to check out a couple of bike
shops for clothing deals.

Matt O.

In article <[email protected]>, "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Just as the subject says... I'm headed to DC tomorrow, and I plan to check out a couple of bike
> shops for clothing deals.
>
> Matt O.

Well, this is probably too late to help, but are you looking for type or brand?

Arm-warmers and leg-warmers are great value, and after that I go with storm pants (I have a pair
with nylon-type synthetic front panels and fleece-type synthetic underneath and as back panels. It's
completely comfortable to at least 0 C, and I only limit myself there because I haven't ridden below
that temperature).

For brands, you can't go wrong with Sugoi, but I'm biased; they're local.

Wed, 24 Sep 2003 20:44:55 GMT, <[email protected]>, "Matt O'Toole"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Just as the subject says... I'm headed to DC tomorrow, and I plan to check out a couple of bike
>shops for clothing deals.
>
>Matt O.

Thanks to Claire relating her experience, I bought a Sugoi, Busoi Vapour, 'Urban Ultimate' jacket
and have been amazed by its ability to keep me dry and comfortable. Now I want the pants.

You know what temperate coastal rainforest climate is like.
--
zk

I third the Sugoi suggestion. The jacket with entrant material has 'ballistic' on the shoulders so
it wont wear out just from carrying a bag or pack. Takes several slides across pavement to ruin
this jacket.

Robert

25 Sep 2003 06:31:53 GMT,
<[email protected]>, [email protected]
(R15757) wrote:

>I third the Sugoi suggestion. The jacket with entrant material has 'ballistic' on the shoulders so
>it wont wear out just from carrying a bag or pack. Takes several slides across pavement to ruin
>this jacket.
>
>Robert

They also prevent water wicking through where the straps touch.
--
zk

Zoot Katz <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Wed, 24 Sep 2003 20:44:55 GMT, <[email protected]>, "Matt O'Toole"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Just as the subject says... I'm headed to DC tomorrow, and I plan to check out a couple of bike
> >shops for clothing deals.
> >

> Thanks to Claire relating her experience, I bought a Sugoi, Busoi Vapour, 'Urban Ultimate' jacket
> and have been amazed by its ability to keep me dry and comfortable. Now I want the pants.
>
> You know what temperate coastal rainforest climate is like.

I got one of these in orange for my husband at an REI clearance last spring. Now he's sold.

Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky ([email protected]) Home of the meditative cyclist:

Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at: http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky

Zoot Katz <[email protected]> wrote:
: Thanks to Claire relating her experience, I bought a Sugoi, Busoi Vapour, 'Urban Ultimate' jacket
: and have been amazed by its ability to keep me dry and comfortable. Now I want the pants.

can someone clue me in to where to buy sugoi jackets in the US. i've been trying to get a look (or
just buy) the Thermal Transition Jacket for a bit and no on-line vendor (or local shop for that
matter) that i can find has it. or any sugoi jacket that'll work down to 20F (in the pearl izumi
kodiak barrier jacket class).
--
david reuteler [email protected]

"David Reuteler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Zoot Katz <[email protected]> wrote:
> : Thanks to Claire relating her experience, I bought a Sugoi, Busoi Vapour, 'Urban Ultimate'
> : jacket and have been amazed by its ability to keep me dry and comfortable. Now I want the pants.
>
> can someone clue me in to where to buy sugoi jackets in the US. i've been trying to get a look (or
> just buy) the Thermal Transition Jacket for a bit and no on-line vendor (or local shop for that
> matter) that i can find has
it.
> or any sugoi jacket that'll work down to 20F (in the pearl izumi kodiak barrier jacket class).
> --

$45 at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00009ZLQL/qid=1064504065/sr=1
-12/ref=sr_1_12_sg/104-7320970-6251946?v=glance&s=sporting-goods&n=3375311

Matthew

25 Sep 2003 16:21:24 GMT, <[email protected]>, David Reuteler
<[email protected]> wrote:

>ugh.. nice try, tho. wrong jacket. that's the "MicroFine Transition II Jacket" not the "Thermal
>Transition Jacket." amazon doesn't have it, either. nor altrec, nor rei. sugoi claims to make it!
>
>froogle.google.com pulls back nothing, either.

Have you tried the Sugoi site's dealer search?

http://www.sugoi.ca/

Minneapolis, (I'm guessing from your header) has 15 dealers listed. I expect some of them may be ski
or runners shops though.
--
zk

Zoot Katz <[email protected]> wrote:
: Have you tried the Sugoi site's dealer search?
:
: http://www.sugoi.ca/
:
: Minneapolis, (I'm guessing from your header) has 15 dealers listed. I expect some of them may be
: ski or runners shops though.

boise currently. none of the dealer's here have their cold weather gear so i was looking online.
geez, does it not get cold here? that'd be good.
--
david reuteler [email protected]

> Just as the subject says... I'm headed to DC tomorrow, and I plan to check out a couple of bike
> shops for clothing deals.

my favorite windshell & a can of 'Scotch Guard'. the SG works pretty good on SportHill pants & an
old poly-wool Blackbottom jacket i have. i'm going someplace warm, in temperature anyway, so it's
not that big of a deal if i'm a little damp or even wet. BTW, i own Goretex, various microPU &
PU, a clear vinyl and even a Carridice waxed jacket.

(damn, it's that time of the year to recoat everything.)