whats your favourite 25mm tyre?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Alex Graham, Mar 12, 2003.

  1. Alex Graham

    Alex Graham Guest

    I have a pair of 622x17 rims in need of tyres. I will be using the bike for mainly on road, with a
    bit of smooth cycle path etc from time to time.

    According to Sheldon, I can safely fit a 28mm or 25mm wide tyre (as well as some wider ones). I'm
    about to buy some 28mm Schwalbe Marathons (kevlar) but before I do are there any rampantly good 25mm
    tyres around?

    Cheers,

    -Alex

    --
    ----------------------+ Alex Graham | [email protected] | ----------------------+

    Tags:

  2. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Alex Graham wrote:
    > I have a pair of 622x17 rims in need of tyres. I will be using the bike for mainly on road, with a
    > bit of smooth cycle path etc from time to time.

    What kind of bike?

    > According to Sheldon, I can safely fit a 28mm or 25mm wide tyre (as well as some wider ones). I'm
    > about to buy some 28mm Schwalbe Marathons (kevlar) but before I do are there any rampantly good
    > 25mm tyres around?

    The Marathons might be overkill for you (although should provide plenty of puncture resistance on
    the cycle paths). Also consider the Michelin Performer 25 or Schawalbe Blizzard 25 (not Blizzard
    Pro, etc). They're quite sensible and roll reasonably well for their type & price. Most 28's will
    give a softer ride though.

    --
    ~PB This week, I am mostly eating Marmite

  3. Alex Graham

    Alex Graham Guest

    Its a raleigh pioneer frame, and Im using it as a fixed.

    Id quite like to be able to use paths etc - is a 25 wide enough d'you think?

    -Alex

    --
    ----------------------+ Alex Graham | [email protected] | ----------------------+

  4. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Alex Graham wrote:
    > Its a raleigh pioneer frame, and Im using it as a fixed.
    >
    > Id quite like to be able to use paths etc - is a 25 wide enough d'you think?

    It would be wide enough for a lot of people, depends what you like.

    I would opt for a 28+ if I was riding on bumpy* paths for more than 20% of the time or just wanted a
    relatively cushy ride. A narrower, higher pressure tyre would be faster on-road though.

    * The tarmac (or whatever surface) itself may be smooth but wider tyres provide a better ride if
    it's not been properly rolled flat or it's broken up - like what you find on most cycle and
    foot paths :-(

    ~PB

  5. Alex Graham <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have a pair of 622x17 rims in need of tyres. I will be using the bike for mainly on road, with a
    > bit of smooth cycle path etc from time to time.
    >
    > According to Sheldon, I can safely fit a 28mm or 25mm wide tyre (as well as some wider ones). I'm
    > about to buy some 28mm Schwalbe Marathons (kevlar) but before I do are there any rampantly good
    > 25mm tyres around?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > -Alex

    Vredestein Forezza ROAD 25c. They appear a bit wider than 25c. excelent tyre. Good amount of rubber
    for longevity. Vred carcass is also long lived.

    This is NOT the Fortezza tri-comp.