What's your highest cycling speed on flat?

rc5

Guest
I made 56.1km/h on my walmart 26" 18 speed MTB today, 48 X 17(couldn't
shift to 15 for some weird problem), for probably 10-20 seconds.

After some simple calculation, I figured that I was pedaling at 160
rpm.

My max speed on a downhill was 53.9 kph. There's a curve in the hill that
slows me down...How do you figue rpm?

victor

"rc5" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I made 56.1km/h on my walmart 26" 18 speed MTB today, 48 X 17(couldn't
> shift to 15 for some weird problem), for probably 10-20 seconds.
>
> After some simple calculation, I figured that I was pedaling at 160
> rpm.

"victor" wrote:(clip)...How do you figue rpm?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Arithmetic. Measure your wheel diameter.* Multiply by pi to get
circumference. Divide into 5280 (feet per mile) to get wheel RPM. Divide
by your gear ratio (chainring teeth/cog teeth.

*Get this in feet. Measure in inches and divide by 12, or cm and divide by
30.48)

I think it would be a lot easier to get a computer with cadence to monitor
my rpm while riding.

victor

"rc5" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I made 56.1km/h on my walmart 26" 18 speed MTB today, 48 X 17(couldn't
> shift to 15 for some weird problem), for probably 10-20 seconds.
>
> After some simple calculation, I figured that I was pedaling at 160
> rpm.

"Leo Lichtman" wrote:
Some really incorrect stuff. Highly embarrassed. Need to learn to wait for
the coffee to kick in before posting.

Skipping the derivation this time,
MPH times 336, divided by wheel diameter in inches, times number of cog
teeth, divided by number of chainring teeth

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (rc5) wrote:

> I made 56.1km/h on my walmart 26" 18 speed MTB today, 48 X 17(couldn't
> shift to 15 for some weird problem), for probably 10-20 seconds.
>
> After some simple calculation, I figured that I was pedaling at 160
> rpm.

Assuming that's not a troll, that's darned near amazing. I'm really
happy breaking 50 km/h in a sprint on my fast bike, though I did manage
55 yesterday.

Time to start racing,

--
Ryan Cousineau, [email protected] http://www.wiredcola.com
President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

> Assuming that's not a troll, that's darned near amazing. I'm really
> happy breaking 50 km/h in a sprint on my fast bike, though I did manage
> 55 yesterday.

I believe in Arnie Baker's book "Smart Cycling" he mentions that some
track racers get up to 250 RPM, and lists 160-165 RPM as an achievable
goal after two years of speed work. I've managed 140-145 RPM on my
wind trainer doing one of Baker's workouts, but I've never really
spent much time on leg speed.

My highest speed on a flat - that I remember - was only about 32 MPH
(~52 kph) on my mountain bike, huffing to make a green light. The
road is really more of a false flat (slightly downhill in the
direction I was going).

On 6 Jul 2004 09:46:57 -0700, [email protected] (Palookabutt)
wrote:

>> Assuming that's not a troll, that's darned near amazing. I'm really
>> happy breaking 50 km/h in a sprint on my fast bike, though I did manage
>> 55 yesterday.

>I believe in Arnie Baker's book "Smart Cycling" he mentions that some
>track racers get up to 250 RPM, and lists 160-165 RPM as an achievable
>goal after two years of speed work. I've managed 140-145 RPM on my
>wind trainer doing one of Baker's workouts, but I've never really
>spent much time on leg speed.
>
>My highest speed on a flat - that I remember - was only about 32 MPH
>(~52 kph) on my mountain bike, huffing to make a green light. The
>road is really more of a false flat (slightly downhill in the
>direction I was going).

Several times I've gotten well into the 40s (mph) on the flats, each
time while drafting a dump truck. ;-)

As I recall I was pretty much spun out in 52/12.

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 14:47:16 GMT, "victor" <vcarnuccio
@mindspring.com> wrote:
>My max speed on a downhill was 53.9 kph. There's a curve in the hill that
>slows me down...How do you figue rpm?

Get a computer that measures it for you, or go to
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears
and put in your info. You can then see charts of mph or kph at
various RPMs. Find your speed at the same gear combination as you
were in, and see your RPM.
--
Rick Onanian

wrote:
>I believe in Arnie Baker's book "Smart Cycling" he mentions that some
>track racers get up to 250 RPM, and lists 160-165 RPM as an achievable
>goal after two years of speed work.

Why achieve that goal? Planning to compete in a cadence competition?
--
Rick Onanian

Tue, 06 Jul 2004 17:45:56 GMT,
<[email protected]>, John Everett
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Several times I've gotten well into the 40s (mph) on the flats, each
>time while drafting a dump truck. ;-)

I quit drafting dump trucks after I tucked in behind one towing a pup.
--
zk

On 5 Jul 2004 07:09:12 -0700, rc5 wrote:
> I made 56.1km/h on my walmart 26" 18 speed MTB today, 48 X 17(couldn't
> shift to 15 for some weird problem), for probably 10-20 seconds.

I've only done this once and that was 38.3 mph (I was riding in
traffic and needed to go very fast). I can maintain 36 mph for several
hundred feet. I've done this in front of a police car once or twice so
I could make a legal left (US).

> After some simple calculation, I figured that I was pedaling at 160
> rpm.

At 38+ mph I'm at about 120 rpm for a 53x12 & 700C. I can do up to 182
but it's really difficult to stay seated at that point. I really need
to put more work into spinning but I've been spending a lot of time
working on climbing. I live in the flat lands so it's difficult.

--
Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry [email protected]
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/ (Text only)

I drafted a truck down a hill at 60mph, and followed him for another mile on
the flats at the same speed.

In a 52-13 that's about 180 rpm.

Bruce

Bruce Frech wrote:
> I drafted a truck down a hill at 60mph, and followed him for another
> mile on the flats at the same speed.
>
> In a 52-13 that's about 180 rpm.

Wasn't that in a movie?

Bill "or you dreamed it" S.

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 04:52:23 GMT, "S o r n i"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Bruce Frech wrote:
>> I drafted a truck down a hill at 60mph, and followed him for another
>> mile on the flats at the same speed.
>>
>> In a 52-13 that's about 180 rpm.

>Wasn't that in a movie?

Sort of. He wasn't in his 52-13, he was on the small chainring. ;-)

John Everett wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 04:52:23 GMT, "S o r n i"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Bruce Frech wrote:
>>> I drafted a truck down a hill at 60mph, and followed him for another
>>> mile on the flats at the same speed.
>>>
>>> In a 52-13 that's about 180 rpm.

>> Wasn't that in a movie?

> Sort of. He wasn't in his 52-13, he was on the small chainring. ;-)

Right. Sort of made a hamster look like it's on Valium, eh?

Bill "director should've been shot for that shot" S.

Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On 6 Jul 2004 09:46:57 -0700, [email protected] (Palookabutt)
> wrote:
> >I believe in Arnie Baker's book "Smart Cycling" he mentions that some
> >track racers get up to 250 RPM, and lists 160-165 RPM as an achievable
> >goal after two years of speed work.

> Why achieve that goal? Planning to compete in a cadence competition?

I think Arnie was addressing this advice to track racers. I believe
track bikes have only one gear, so in a way it really is a "cadence
competition".

Sprinters might also want to hit a high cadence.

On 7 Jul 2004 13:13:04 -0700, [email protected] (Palookabutt)
wrote:
>Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>> >track racers get up to 250 RPM, and lists 160-165 RPM as an achievable

>> Why achieve that goal? Planning to compete in a cadence competition?

>I think Arnie was addressing this advice to track racers. I believe

OIC. That makes more sense.

The other day, I decided to see what kind of cadence I could hit
while still producing power, and was utterly shocked to pedal 150
rpm and continue to accelerate. It's not something I'd want to do,
and I'm pretty sure I produce more power at lower rpm, but my legs
went that fast, and reasonably smoothly too.
--
Rick Onanian

Zoot Katz <[email protected]> wrote:

> I quit drafting dump trucks after I tucked in behind one towing a pup.

By which you mean what? And were there dire consequences for you?

Chalo Colina
"hope he didn't mean a dog"