What's your highest TSS

the holster

Sep 20, 2005
What is the highest TSS score you have ever had. I just had mine the other day, 5 hard hours in the middle of the winter TSS-385, I had many other rides right around that range as well.

the holster said:
What is the highest TSS score you have ever had. I just had mine the other day, 5 hard hours in the middle of the winter TSS-385, I had many other rides right around that range as well.
Ouch. That's an IF of around .88 for five hours, right? Was this in a group? When was the last time you set FT? How long did it take you to recover?

whoawhoa said:
Ouch. That's an IF of around .88 for five hours, right? Was this in a group? When was the last time you set FT? How long did it take you to recover?
it was with a couple of super good riders, it was really hilly and we killed it up all the climbs, it was brutal. it was one of those rides when you're just hoping for a flat tire, because you know thats the only way to slow things down and get a break from the killfest.

Today, 315. 6 hours on the bike. 120 miles. Riding with couple of cat2 and the president of our club. A lot of climbing. Of course, I have no difficulties with all the climbs. :D Thanks to, of course, l4 threshold power training. You go to believe. :) I am doing a 8 days week the first week of training month. Total TSS for the week is 1000+.

the holster said:

If you can help me find a conversion from Polar's Exertion rating to the Powertap TSS, i'll will be able to post some pretty high scores for u.

This year my best so far has been a 628 at .85 actually have 2 other rides over 600 and over .8 also

bob.schuiling@g said:
If you can help me find a conversion from Polar's Exertion rating to the Powertap TSS, i'll will be able to post some pretty high scores for u.
How is the exertion rating calculated? Is it based on heart rate, or power?

whoawhoa said:
Power using Cycling Peaks... Well technically Ergoracer. But I also have cycling peaks and it says the same thing.

whoawhoa said:
It's based on HR in the Polar software. Instead`of going into it from scratch, here's a quote fromthe Polar Software where its calculated.

The exertion count is the total sum of these three components.

• The exertion count of a single training session = (exertion factor of HR zone) * (time spent in that zone) * sport factor
The exertion count for the HR zone is of course curvilinear. and the sport factor is take into account the differences IE. between running and cycling.

As for calculating TSS from Exertion Count then it can't be done. The Variability between individuals and day to day would be way too big.

Since I know that you didn't want that answer then Ill will say that for a long loop that I do regularly during parts of the the year that 350 EC usually tends to be roughly 260 TSS. Obviously that is highly variable in how close of a correlation is. Generally it seems that for shoter workouts with supra threshold efforts that there is a smaller difference. (% wise)

So no, EC can't be used to estimate TSS. EC is best used by itself. Smae with TSS and the two don't interchange.

Greg

I didn't calculate TSS on this ride but it was an insane day.

106 miles total. Started off with 2x20s at FTP. Then I did a bunch of hills and sprints. Then I did a fast 25mile group ride where I attacked and spent a lot of time anaerobic. It was during an attack on that ride where I hit a PB peak wattage (at that time). I think I burned over 4400 calories that ride. Took me 4 days to recover.