Whats your take on tri-bars

I'd say that it doesn't look comfortable at all but on the good side it looks aero-dynamical and that is probably the reason for the added speed. Personally, I am not that much into speed. I like to go fast but my bike is heavy and tires are wide and I think that rolling resistance or whatever you call it is not on our side (me and my bike) so I do not need this piece of equipment. Especially if you consider the fact that I have some back pain from time to time.

If you properly set your bike up with aero bar they are very comfortable. I used they in all my ultra marathon races 12 / 24 hours. As far as back issues I have had bad back issues since the mid 90's after being hit by a car. I live with back pain everyday but when I'm on my Tt bike it helps flatten and stretch my back out and I can ride forever with no pain. The bar aren't for everyone but I love them.

I have never tried them before but the look odd. Do they actually make you go faster?
I don't think I would some they might help you out in a race but not for daily use.

They put you in a more aero position which helps cut wind drag which helps with speed. Set up on a standard road bike is not ideal, to maximize there benefits. As far as daily use I used my TT bike full time (5 days a week) for almost 10 years. Most people who try they find them to shaky and don't give themselves time to adjust to the feel.

Reactions: SirJoe
Believe it or not, I have a set on one of my commuter bikes.

Its been more then a decade since I even contemplated entering a race.....

And my average speed while commuting is not impressive......

But I find that on long straight flat sections, it is very comfortable and gives my shoulders and arms a rest.

Don't care if it appears odd with a rack, panniers, and rear bag.....

Works for me!

Regards,
Crankster

They put you in a more aero position which helps cut wind drag which helps with speed. Set up on a standard road bike is not ideal, to maximize there benefits. As far as daily use I used my TT bike full time (5 days a week) for almost 10 years. Most people who try they find them to shaky and don't give themselves time to adjust to the feel.
I have never ridden a TT bike but I can see how they could be handy there. Since most of the curves you do are gradual, you just have to focus on not doing big movements.
I did a google search and I can see that the steering is done in a completely different way. It uses both the upper part of the lower arm and the hands.

I have never ridden a TT bike but I can see how they could be handy there. Since most of the curves you do are gradual, you just have to focus on not doing big movements.
I did a google search and I can see that the steering is done in a completely different way. It uses both the upper part of the lower arm and the hands.

Here's the aero bars view of my ride.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: SirJoe
Here's the aero bars view of my ride.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Very good and I like your taste in music. ;)
I see how you use them, they are good on the straights and they actually seem comfortable.

I have had bad back issues since the mid 90's after being hit by a car.

You too? Huh...

I was rear-ended in 1993 by a stoned kid in a Camaro. After sliding up the hood his windshield was introduced to my backside. I was airborne for 40+ feet before returning to planet Earth.

I live with back pain everyday but when I'm on my Tt bike it helps flatten and stretch my back out and I can ride forever with no pain.

Same same about the daily pain. It can be mild and it can be very noticeable. the pain level varies and there's little logical explanation for what causes it and what alleviates it.

I had compression fractures of L1 and L2 with soft tissue damage that allows me to predict weather changes better than the guy on the TV. Stretching out on a road bike helps my back, but constant climbing or racing on the drops with a high power output will sometimes tighten it right up and bring on the pain.

Some day I'm going to have to try a set of clip-on tri bars.