Wheel advice

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by devin J, Nov 3, 2005.

1. devin J

devin J New Member

I just had my wheels changed out by a bike shop due to problems and was wondering about quality differences. My original wheels were Alex 303 they were aero style with bladed spokes and the new ones are bontrager selects. I notice that the bontragers are heavy but wanted some opinions. Are they good wheels? Am I getting the "SHIM SHAM"?

Tags:

2. jcjordan

jcjordan New Member

I would be wary of these wheels. They came on my Trek 1500, which I bought in Feb, and I am having them replaced under warranty as the rims are breaking appart. Having discussed this problem with the shop and a the group I race with quite a few have come across problems ranging from annoying clicking sounds from the hubs to the flange on the hub breaking away. Personally I will be looking at a new set of wheels in the new year and keep my replacements only for commuting.

3. Walrus

Walrus New Member

I used to this the Bonty Selects were good wheels, but a friend of mine has them on a Trek 1500 and they need replacing within 3000km. Starting to hear a few stories like that, so maybe they're not as good as I thought?

4. huhenio

huhenio New Member

Light - Durable - Cheap

Pick only two, you dont get three.

5. SilentShifter

SilentShifter New Member

I have the Bontrager Selects on my 2005 Trek 1500. I weigh 196lbs at 6'3" tall. I haven't had any problems with them, yet. Sure, there is some flexing, there always is with us big guys, but I really can't complain about them that much. They have held their true very well thus far (though I have it checked frequently). I have about 500 miles on them at the moment.