Wheel bearing tech

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Ben Wight, May 1, 2003.

  1. Ben Wight

    Ben Wight Guest

    Just wondering when tightenning wheel bearings, should they be tightenned to the point of zero axle
    play, or should a slight amount be allowed, to compensate for bearing expansion with heat?

    Which option gives the least rolling resistance after riding a few km's?

    Ben Wight

    Tags:

  2. "Ben Wight" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Just wondering when tightenning wheel bearings, should they be tightenned
    > the point of zero axle play, or should a slight amount be allowed, to compensate for bearing
    > expansion with heat?

    No play.

    > Which option gives the least rolling resistance after riding a few km's?

    Rolling resistance of correctly adjusted, quality bearings is insignificant IMHO. More drag from
    your unshaven legs.

    Cheers Peter

  3. Ben Wight <[email protected]> wrote:
    : Just wondering when tightenning wheel bearings, should they be tightenned to the point of zero
    : axle play, or should a slight amount be allowed, to compensate for bearing expansion with heat?

    The gurus say that you should leave a small amount of play to allow for the extra pressure of the
    quick releases, ie, no play when the wheel is mounted on the bike.

    : Which option gives the least rolling resistance after riding a few km's?

    Huh? There should be no difference even after many Ks. I haven't taken any measurements but doubt
    that there is any significant heat generated by the bearings during typical riding, even quite
    fast riding.

    Cheerz, Lynzz

  4. Jose Rizal

    Jose Rizal Guest

    Ben Wight:

    > Just wondering when tightenning wheel bearings, should they be tightenned to the point of zero
    > axle play, or should a slight amount be allowed, to compensate for bearing expansion with heat?

    There should be a small amount of play after assembly, but not because of bearing expansion with
    heat (which is insignificant on bicycles), but because the bearing assembly is compressed when
    mounted on the dropouts. How much play depends on how tight you mount the wheel on the bike, and the
    best way to determine this is to do several iterations.

    For example, when tightening the cone on the bearing assembly, first determine the position which
    gives no play, and loosen the cone about a quarter turn then lock in place with the locking nut. Be
    careful not to further loosen the cone upon tightening the locknut. Mount the wheel on the bike, and
    see how tight the QR needs to be to eliminate play. If the QR is too difficult to close before
    eliminating play, tighten the cone a "small amount" then lock and re-mount, and repeat the whole
    process until you get the right combination of "suitably tight" QR and no play.

    > Which option gives the least rolling resistance after riding a few km's?

    Too insignificant to worry about.