Wheel build - my winter project

BluesDawg

Feb 20, 2005
I am getting a new bike soon, building up a 2011 Specialized Roubaix Pro frameset with a SRAM Force group. Initially, I will use a wheelset I already have, Mavic CXP-33 rims on Ultegra hubs with 32 DT comp db spokes front and rear. Over the winter I would like to build a nicer set of wheels for the bike. I want something reliable and serviceable, but also attractive and reasonably light. I have built a few simple wheels before and have had good results. I don't want to take on anything exotic, but I am confident that I can build a good set of wheels for my bike, but I need some advice on what components to use in building them.

I weigh 170 lbs. I live in central Georgia where we have mostly good roads of smooth asphalt but also a fair amount of shake 'n' bake (chipseal). I mostly ride in rolling terrain locally, but it is a short trip to flat roads near the coast or mountains to the north. This bike will be used primarily for long rides, 50 -100 miles with the possibility of an occasional double metric or even a double century. So I am looking to build an all-around type of wheel.

From what I have read here and elsewhere on the net, and from talking with my LBS manager and other riders, I have an idea of what this wheelset might be like. I am thinking something like Kinlin 270 rims with White Industries H2/H3 hubs and 24F/28R spokes, either DT comps or possibly Sapim CX-Rays.

I would appreciate comments and advice about my choices, and/or other suggestions. Thanks.

Right forum. I cant help you but someone outhere should. I recall a poster petervechio or something like that he was very good with these types of questions. Is he still out there does anyone know how to find him on the new system?

Originally Posted by BluesDawg .

I am getting a new bike soon, building up a 2011 Specialized Roubaix Pro frameset with a SRAM Force group. Initially, I will use a wheelset I already have, Mavic CXP-33 rims on Ultegra hubs with 32 DT comp db spokes front and rear. Over the winter I would like to build a nicer set of wheels for the bike. I want something reliable and serviceable, but also attractive and reasonably light. I have built a few simple wheels before and have had good results. I don't want to take on anything exotic, but I am confident that I can build a good set of wheels for my bike, but I need some advice on what components to use in building them.

I weigh 170 lbs. I live in central Georgia where we have mostly good roads of smooth asphalt but also a fair amount of shake 'n' bake (chipseal). I mostly ride in rolling terrain locally, but it is a short trip to flat roads near the coast or mountains to the north. This bike will be used primarily for long rides, 50 -100 miles with the possibility of an occasional double metric or even a double century. So I am looking to build an all-around type of wheel.

From what I have read here and elsewhere on the net, and from talking with my LBS manager and other riders, I have an idea of what this wheelset might be like. I am thinking something like Kinlin 270 rims with White Industries H1/H3 hubs and 24F/28R spokes, either DT comps or possibly Sapim CX-Rays.

I would appreciate comments and advice about my choices, and/or other suggestions. Thanks.
There are a variety of choices out there. Kinlin rims, Velocity rims, DT, shimano hubs, White as was mentioned. CX-Rays and DT aerolites are pricey, Revs and comps make for a stronger wheel with teeny weight 'penalty'. 24/28 both 2 cross brass nipps on non eyeletted rims, made well, great wheelsets.

Thanks, Peter. There sure are lots of choices out there and I'm taking in a lot of new information as I try to make a good decision. I like the advice about the spokes and nipps. A stronger wheel for less money makes more sense than saving a few grams.

Since you mentioned Velocity rims, I have been reading a lot of interesting things about wider rims like the Velocity A23. They seem to be a slightly wider version of the Aerohead. Do you think this would be a good rim for this application? A similar rim I've seen is the C-4 V-22 which appears to be a Kinlin rim.

Thanks

Originally Posted by BluesDawg .

Thanks, Peter. There sure are lots of choices out there and I'm taking in a lot of new information as I try to make a good decision. I like the advice about the spokes and nipps. A stronger wheel for less money makes more sense than saving a few grams.

Since you mentioned Velocity rims, I have been reading a lot of interesting things about wider rims like the Velocity A23. They seem to be a slightly wider version of the Aerohead. Do you think this would be a good rim for this application? A similar rim I've seen is the C-4 V-22 which appears to be a Kinlin rim.

Thanks
Yes, the A23 make for a fine wheelset altho the Aerohead has an 'OC' or offcenter drilling option for the rear, not found on Kinlin or A23. The 'wider rim makes for a much better ride', maybe but I doubt it's dramatic.

Originally Posted by Peter@vecchios .
Yes, the A23 make for a fine wheelset altho the Aerohead has an 'OC' or offcenter drilling option for the rear, not found on Kinlin or A23. The 'wider rim makes for a much better ride', maybe but I doubt it's dramatic.
I also see that Velocity has a hub that "is designed with offset flanges to help provide equal spoke tension, eliminating the need for an off-center rim". Any thoughts about that concept or the quality of the hubs?

BluesDawg,

I would take a look at the Alchemy hubs (the ORC and ELF). They are pricy, but since you are going with an aluminum rim (as opposed to carbon) it will almost keep the cost down. The Alchemy hubs use larger bearings, have wider hub flanges and provide an amazingly stiff and light wheel. For spokes I only use Sapim CX-Rays. Not just because they are aero, but because they are exceptionally strong. They are forged stainless steel so they are extremely resistant to failure. I have also found them very rewarding to build with. My other advice would be to invest in a spoke tension meter. The Park model has reasonable accuracy and you can get a spreadsheet on their website that allows you to put in your spoke tension for every spoke. The resulting table and graph make it pretty clear when further tension adjustment is required.

Good luck!

Mark

Originally Posted by tallrider721 .

BluesDawg,

I would take a look at the Alchemy hubs (the ORC and ELF). They are pricy, but since you are going with an aluminum rim (as opposed to carbon) it will almost keep the cost down. The Alchemy hubs use larger bearings, have wider hub flanges and provide an amazingly stiff and light wheel. For spokes I only use Sapim CX-Rays. Not just because they are aero, but because they are exceptionally strong. They are forged stainless steel so they are extremely resistant to failure. I have also found them very rewarding to build with. My other advice would be to invest in a spoke tension meter. The Park model has reasonable accuracy and you can get a spreadsheet on their website that allows you to put in your spoke tension for every spoke. The resulting table and graph make it pretty clear when further tension adjustment is required.

Good luck!

Mark
Are you a US builder? I ask because there is only one Sapim distributor in the US(KHS) and their spoke availability has always been spotty. Except for the $, CX-Rays are nice.

Thanks, Mark. Good advice. I wish I could afford to follow it. Carbon rims were never in the picture, so I'd have to use my wife's shopping logic to count that as a savings./img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif The Alchemy hubs are very impressive. Maybe someday, but not now. I do plan to borrow a spoke tension meter from my LBS when I build the wheels. I'll check out that spreadsheet.

Originally Posted by tallrider721 .

BluesDawg,

Good luck!

Mark

Pete,

I get my spokes from Jeramy Parfit from Alchemy Bicycle Works in Santa Fe, N.M. He and his wife are super to work with and they can also hand roll spokes for a small fee in order to provide odd size spoke lengths.

Mark

BluesDawg,

Aluminum rims are fine for most purposes. Carbon rims can offer amazing performance and strength, but the cost benefit relationship only makes sense for either racers or those who have a fair amount of disposable income. The Kinlin rims are actually very nice and build up well. As far as the spokes, definately spend just a little extra to get the CX-Rays. I am currently awaiting independent test data that confirms they are the strongest spokes on the market, but for now I will just say they are light, strong and aerodynamic. Among the other wheel builders I talk to they are the spoke of choice right now. Which may be why KHS has a difficult time keeping popular sized in stock, as Peter noted above. And yes, Pete, I'm a U.S. based builder in Northern California.

Mark