Wheel build on Zipp 24 hole hub for larger rider

dazman

Feb 17, 2007
Hi,

I have a set of zipp 404's and I built a Powertap into the rear leaving a spare 24 hole zipp hub. For my spare bike I'm thinking of pairing this hub with a DT Swiss RR 1.2 24H. silver/grey rim.

I'm 86 kg/190 pounds so I was just wondering if there would be any strength issues given these are not carbon rims? I'm not going to be racing on this bike but I will still be using it in hilly areas etc with sharp turns.

Cheers,

dazman said:
Hi,

I have a set of zipp 404's and I built a Powertap into the rear leaving a spare 24 hole zipp hub. For my spare bike I'm thinking of pairing this hub with a DT Swiss RR 1.2 24H. silver/grey rim.

I'm 86 kg/190 pounds so I was just wondering if there would be any strength issues given these are not carbon rims? I'm not going to be racing on this bike but I will still be using it in hilly areas etc with sharp turns.

Cheers,
Why would there be a problem just because they are not carbon rims? We were riding non-carbon rims long before carbon rims were ever even thought of! If you are worried about compatability between the hubs and rims, your hubs don't care what the rims are made of, only that they have the same number of holes. You shouldn't have any problem with 24 spoke wheels at your weight, regardless of what anyone else says. I've been riding 24 spoke wheels for the past two years with no problems and I weigh 210 at the moment. I weighed almost 250 when I first started to use these wheels.