Wheel Build Specs

Mike-the-Bike

Jul 24, 2007
I'm looking at building the following wheels, but would appreciate some advice. I wish to use the wheels for training and everyday riding and require something lightish, strongish and easily maintainable (don't we all wish!). I weigh 76kg (167 lb) and have generally been easy on equipment in the past.

I'm beyond wanting all the new boutiquie wheels and have the following in mind:

Front Wheel: Chris King Select Hub (28 Hole), Velocity Aerohead machined rim, DT Revolution (2.0/1.5) spokes with Al nipples. I plan to use a 2-cross spoke pattern.

Rear Wheel: Chris King Select Hub (28 Hole), Velocity Aerohead Off-Centre machined rim, DT Revolution (2.0/1.5) spokes with Al nipples. I plan to use a 3-cross spoke pattern (is this advisable?).

This setup should give me a good light wheelset and be easily maintained. For those who care, I'm thinking of red hubs, black spokes and rim, and red nipples (okay, I do want a bit of flash!!).

What do you guys think, particularly with regards to the spoke crossings?

The set up should be OK as long as you are not too heavy for it. I wonder about the color scheme of the bike where these wheels would look good?

I'd stick with 2 cross for the rear wheel too. That way the spokes will connect with the rim at less of an angle.

For 28 holes, you are pushing 3 cross. You'd be better sticking with 2 unless you wanted to up the spoke count to 32. (The rear's effect on aerodynamics is much less than the front. But you aren't lacing radial so you aren't worrying much about that. Plus aeroheads)

Otherwise, especially if you are going with Chris King classic hubs (which I'll assume you are, never heard of select) then you are gaining absolutely nothing by using revos on the rear. You are just lowering the stiffness of your rear wheel. On the front, that's fine, but I'd suggest splitting the cost and going comps on the back and aerolites on the front. But then again, you are going 2 cross.

Thanks for the replies guys. bobbyOCR, you were correct in thinking that I meant "Classic" when I said "select" - I had a brain warp!!

Looks like I will be sticking to the 2-cross front and back, but taking your advice on the comp spokes at the back - It makes sense.