Wheel builder in Melbourne?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Shane Stanley, Apr 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I need to get a wheel re-spoked. Can anyone recommend a good wheel-builder in Melbourne, preferably
    somewhere in the south-east?

Shane Stanley

Tags:

2. Pc

Pc Guest

On Wed, 09 Apr 2003 21:00:45 +1000, Shane Stanley <[email protected]> wrote:

>I need to get a wheel re-spoked. Can anyone recommend a good wheel-builder in Melbourne, preferably
    >somewhere in the south-east?

I've never yet found a LBS that didn't re-spoke wheels.. Find one or more that are convenient for
    you and get some quotes..

PC

(LBS = Local Bike Shop)

3. Fitzroy Cycles in Dandenong Road, Carnegie build a good, tight wheel... Also, Freedom Machine, in
    Chapel Street..

Most likely cost you less at Fitzroy Cycles though, given the location....
    :)

"Shane Stanley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:BABA3A7C.55690%[email protected]...
    > I need to get a wheel re-spoked. Can anyone recommend a good wheel-builder in Melbourne,
    > preferably somewhere in the south-east?
    >
    > Shane Stanley

4. Rman

Rman Guest

5. Roofi

Roofi Guest

Bicycle Recycle - Moorabbin

--

Don't mind me - I just have Autosomal Dominant Compelling Helio-Opthalmic syndrome

"Shane Stanley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:BABA3A7C.55690%[email protected]... I need to get a wheel re-spoked. Can anyone
    recommend a good wheel-builder in Melbourne, preferably somewhere in the south-east?

Shane Stanley

6. "Shane Stanley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:BABA3A7C.55690%[email protected]...
    > I need to get a wheel re-spoked. Can anyone recommend a good wheel-builder in Melbourne,
    > preferably somewhere in the south-east?
    >
    One of the best wheel builders could be you. It is not very difficult, but the first couple can be
    time consuming. It is a good skill to be able to re-build a wheel overnight so you don't miss out on
    a good ride. There is a bit of subtlety in it, so you want good instructions. The definitive book is
    Jobst Brandt, "The Bicycle Wheel". Brandt combines practical instructions with the theory behind
    wheels. Another clear set of instructions is by Sheldon Brown at:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

A key step in the process is stress relieving, a step often omitted by bicycle mechanics who don't
    understand its purpose.

Have a go - it is quite satisfying. I intend to build a lot more wheels instead of basket weaving
    when I go mad.

John Retchford

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.