Wheel building instructional websites?

Boyd Speerschne

Guest
Hello, Does anyone know of any good web site(s) that explain how to build wheels? Nothing fancy,
just your standard 32 spoke box rim wheel. Also, isn't there an online spoke length calculator,
where you can input the hub / rim type and find out what gauge / length of spokes you need? Thanks
in advance,
- Boyd S.

ps. I would buy a book on the subject, but why spend money when its online?

news:<[email protected]>...

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html is excellent

http://www.damonrinard.com/spocalc.htm - invaluable

> Thanks in advance,
> - Boyd S.
>
> ps. I would buy a book on the subject, but why spend money when its online?

The Bicycle Wheel by Jobst Brandt is the definitive word on the subject.

Andrew-<< http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html is excellent

> Also, isn't there an online spoke length calculator, where you can input the hub / rim type and
> find out what gauge / length of spokes you need?

http://www.damonrinard.com/spocalc.htm - invaluable

> Thanks in advance,
> - Boyd S.
>
> ps. I would buy a book on the subject, but why spend money when its online?

The Bicycle Wheel by Jobst Brandt is the definitive word on the subject.
>><BR><BR>

Agree with all above....

And if they guy is completing his wheelbuilding 'library', get Gerd Schreaner's book, the "Art of
Wheelbuilding".

Good read and I am saving for the $1200 DT truing stand....

I can't think ov any offf hand. There are books on the subject. The "local favorite" is Jobst
Brandt's "The Bicycle Wheel" It's available online at amazon.

Personally, I'd rather have something written than have to try to build a wheel in front of a
computer (or my TV) screen.

> Good read and I am saving for the $1200 DT truing stand....
>
> Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria

I hafta ask, "why?". For an accomplished wheelbuilder who does it for a living, such a purchase
would make sense only if it allowed a faster output. I don't see how having some dial indicators
works any better than a basic, solid stand such as Park can supply for a couple hundred.

--
Ted Bennett Portland OR