Wheel building parts?

Redliner said:
Where's the best place to order rims, spokes and nipples from? Thanks.

Unless you are getting a big discount online or buying at clearance prices, I suggest getting these parts locally. Rims are oversized and many sources charge an extra $12-15 shipping fro the rims which offsets much of the discount obtained by shopping online. Also, spokes and nipples are generally no cheaper online than locally (usually $0.50/spoke for straight gauge stainless, and 0.75 for DB here in Seattle area, which is about as good as I have seen online).

Redliner said:
Where's the best place to order rims, spokes and nipples from? Thanks.
That's one of the strangest things about working on bicycles.

Usually the most economical way to buy the components that you need to build a wheel is to buy a pre-assembled wheelset from one of the internet or mail order sources and disassemble it so that you can relace it exactly the way that you want.

Retro Grouch said:
That's one of the strangest things about working on bicycles.

Usually the most economical way to buy the components that you need to build a wheel is to buy a pre-assembled wheelset from one of the internet or mail order sources and disassemble it so that you can relace it exactly the way that you want.

True. For example, the American Classic 420 wheelset come form 2 sources - 1) USA, 2) Taiwan. If you get it mail order chances are it will be from [I wont mention the name] that ships you the later. The Taiwan assembled is shod with generic nipples and spokes and folks who are unfortunate to get these complain of truing problems. But once these are rebuilt with the proper spokes like the USA onee, the truing problems are history.