Wheel building question with disc

robotec

Guest
So far I have only built wheels for rim brake use and followed Sheldon
Brown's instruction with good sucess.
But I am not clear on how to do this for disc brake use.

What is the prefered wheel lacing pattern when using 32spokes, 3 cross
for a wheel that will see disc brakes

I have found following info:
lacing patterns for disk-brake wheels: On the front wheel and the disk-
side of the rear wheel, the spokes with inward-facing heads should
point forward. On the drive-side of the rear wheel, they should point
backwards.

Any wisdoms on this

Thanks

Francois

robotec said:
So far I have only built wheels for rim brake use and followed Sheldon
Brown's instruction with good sucess.
But I am not clear on how to do this for disc brake use.

What is the prefered wheel lacing pattern when using 32spokes, 3 cross
for a wheel that will see disc brakes

I have found following info:
lacing patterns for disk-brake wheels: On the front wheel and the disk-
side of the rear wheel, the spokes with inward-facing heads should
point forward. On the drive-side of the rear wheel, they should point
backwards.

Any wisdoms on this

Thanks

Francois
The way I read Sheldon's piece on this, it has more to do with potential derailleur interference with spokes deflecting under load, or with what happens to spokes when the chain slips off the rear of the cassette than it does with any structural advantage. Can't see how it matters where a disc brake is concerned. I build em trailing spokes heads in (drive side)all the time. Workin good so far.

On Sep 2, 7:09 am, robotec <[email protected]> wrote:
> So far I have only built wheels for rim brake use and followed Sheldon
> Brown's instruction with good sucess.
> But I am not clear on how to do this for disc brake use.
>
> What is the prefered wheel lacing pattern when using 32spokes, 3 cross
> for a wheel that will see disc brakes

Either is fine as long as the wheel is built well.

Francois Roth writes:

> So far I have only built wheels for rim brake use and followed
> Sheldon Brown's instruction with good success. But I am not clear
> on how to do this for disc brake use.

> What is the preferred wheel lacing pattern when using 32spokes, 3
> cross for a wheel that will see disc brakes

> I have found following info:

> lacing patterns for disk-brake wheels: On the front wheel and the
> disk- side of the rear wheel, the spokes with inward-facing heads
> should point forward. On the drive-side of the rear wheel, they
> should point backward.

> Any wisdoms on this

If you look at the deflection plots in "the Bicycle Wheel", you'll not
that hub torque is insignificant for a wheel with a reasonable number
of spokes. Spoke stress from hub torque, be that pedaling or braking
in several times smaller per spoke than just rolling along on level
ground. Use a cross laced spoke pattern and conventional in and out
spoke heads. It presents no significant load on the spokes.

--
Jobst Brandt

Francois Roth writes:

> So far I have only built wheels for rim brake use and followed
> Sheldon Brown's instruction with good success. But I am not clear
> on how to do this for disc brake use.

> What is the preferred wheel lacing pattern when using 32spokes, 3
> cross for a wheel that will see disc brakes

> I have found following info:

> lacing patterns for disk-brake wheels: On the front wheel and the
> disk- side of the rear wheel, the spokes with inward-facing heads
> should point forward. On the drive-side of the rear wheel, they
> should point backward.

> Any wisdoms on this

If you look at the deflection plots in "the Bicycle Wheel", you'll
note that hub torque is insignificant for a wheel with a reasonable

robotec wrote:
> So far I have only built wheels for rim brake use and followed Sheldon
> Brown's instruction with good sucess.
> But I am not clear on how to do this for disc brake use.
>
> What is the prefered wheel lacing pattern when using 32spokes, 3 cross
> for a wheel that will see disc brakes
>
> I have found following info:
> lacing patterns for disk-brake wheels: On the front wheel and the disk-
> side of the rear wheel, the spokes with inward-facing heads should
> point forward. On the drive-side of the rear wheel, they should point
> backwards.
>
> Any wisdoms on this
>
> Thanks
>
> Francois

download the spoke lacing instructions for shimano hubs and follow them.
basically, fronts are laced conventionally, rears are asymmetric.

robotec <[email protected]> asked:

> > So far I have only built wheels for rim brake use and followedSheldon
> > Brown's instruction with good sucess.
> > But I am not clear on how to do this for disc brake use.

> > What is the prefered wheel lacing pattern when using 32spokes, 3 cross
> > for a wheel that will see disc brakes

Peter Chisholm replied:

> Either is fine as long as the wheel is built well.

What Peter said.

Sheldon "It Doesn't Matter" Brown
| For every complex problem, there is a solution |
| that is simple, neat, and wrong. |
| --H. L. Mencken |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com