Wheel building - spoke counts

mszwaya

Jul 11, 2008
Would anyone know if it is possible to build a wheel using different spoke hole counts between the rim and hub?
For example, if I have a 32h hub, can I use a 16h rim by just using every other spoke hole in the hub? I thought that as long as the holes are evenly spaced, it could possibly work.
Is this a ridiculous idea?

I'd tend to think that it would cause an unstable wheel, not quite sure though, like to get an answer as well. :)

mszwaya said:
Would anyone know if it is possible to build a wheel using different spoke hole counts between the rim and hub?

Sure. More holes in the hub than the rim is a pretty "safe" combo, although cumbersome to build.

mszwaya said:
For example, if I have a 32h hub, can I use a 16h rim by just using every other spoke hole in the hub?

Well, leaving holes in the rim immediately becomes more dodgy. First it leaves longer sections of the rim unsupported, so I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it unless that rim was also available in that drilling. Secondly, rims are drilled for every alternate spoke heading off towards different flanges. If you only use every 2nd spoke hole, then every 2nd spoke will start off heading towards the wrong flange and then bend back.
For a low profile rim this is usually not an issue, but can be for mid/high profile rims - which is what you'll probably want to use for a low spoke count wheel.

mszwaya said:
For example, if I have a 32h hub, can I use a 16h rim by just using every other spoke hole in the hub? I thought that as long as the holes are evenly spaced, it could possibly work.
Yes, what you are suggesting is feasible.

N.B. You will probably want to lace the wheel x2 or x3 rather than radial.

mszwaya said:
Is this a ridiculous idea?

a 32 hole hub is a 16h hub with 16 extra holes. 1 cross or radial. I don't think you can do 2 cross w/o overlaping the hub flange a lot.

mszwaya said:
..if I have a 32h hub, can I use a 16h rim by just using every other spoke hole in the hub?

It might end up a bit funky looking though. Hub flanges are drilled so that when looked at axially left flange holes will line up in the middle between the right flange holes.
If you're only using every 2nd hole, then spokes won't exit the hub 1/2 period apart any more. They'll be 1/4 away from one spoke and 3/4 away from the other.

Peter@vecchios said:
a 32 hole hub is a 16h hub with 16 extra holes. 1 cross or radial. I don't think you can do 2 cross w/o overlaping the hub flange a lot.

This is kind of what I was thinking.
I'm tempted to build a mock-up with a hub and rim I have lying around to see how it looks.
As a background, I just taco'd a Reflex rim on a King hubset at CX Nationals. I thought I'd look into building the hubs up again but this time with a carbon rim. It looks unlikely that 32h carbon rims are made. 28h seems to be the largest. There are 16h available but I am skeptical that they will work for 'cross with a heavier (88kg) rider.
Another possibly safer option is to sell these hubs and get a 28h set. Both Reynolds and Zipp make 28h rims.

mszwaya said:
This is kind of what I was thinking.
I'm tempted to build a mock-up with a hub and rim I have lying around to see how it looks.
As a background, I just taco'd a Reflex rim on a King hubset at CX Nationals. I thought I'd look into building the hubs up again but this time with a carbon rim. It looks unlikely that 32h carbon rims are made. 28h seems to be the largest. There are 16h available but I am skeptical that they will work for 'cross with a heavier (88kg) rider.
Another possibly safer option is to sell these hubs and get a 28h set. Both Reynolds and Zipp make 28h rims.
Ask your LBS if they can order the 16h rim re-drilled with 16 more holes.

You can certainly lace 28h rims to you 32h hubs ... figure you'll need three different length spokes for each side on the rear wheel -- trial-and-error in determining the lengths is probably easier than trying to calculate each length.

I don't know anything about CX, but doesn't it usually involve riding on bumpy dirt trails, generally at lower speeds? If so, why worry about spoke count.....wouldn't a strong 32 spoke wheel you could trust be a better choice than a low-spoke wheel?

alfeng said:
Ask your LBS if they can order the 16h rim re-drilled with 16 more holes.

But redrilling an already drilled rim won't give you that shifting angle that'll align every 2nd spoke with the opposite flanges. I wouldn't recommend that for anything but a low-profile rim, unless one figures out some sort of paired lace pattern.

alfeng said:
You can certainly lace 28h rims to you 32h hubs ...
Yeah, one empty-7 used-repeat. Shouldn't be too bad.

alfeng said:
... figure you'll need three different length spokes for each side on the rear wheel --

Or throw in a few longer nipples.

alfeng said:
....trial-and-error in determining the lengths is probably easier than trying to calculate each length.

I drew the hub flange in scale, and penciled in both the holes I had, and the position of where the holes would have been in a matched hub. Then I guesstimated the approach angle of the spokes, which allowed me to make a fair assessment of how much longer or shorter the spokes would need to be. Worked out surprisingly well.

dabac said:
But redrilling an already drilled rim won't give you that shifting angle that'll align every 2nd spoke with the opposite flanges. I wouldn't recommend that for anything but a low-profile rim, unless one figures out some sort of paired lace pattern.
I think that on most rims -- particularly, aero & deep aero rims -- that the holes are drilled along the centerline, now; so, the only the that a DIYer needs is a drill press + knowledge of how to use it (i.e., build a "jig" to hold the rim!).

alfeng said:
I think that ..the holes are drilled along the centerline, now;

I'd say that they are drilled to exit at the centerline, which isn't quite the same. The holes may still be aligned with every 2nd flange in mind, which can be enough to set the nipples up at an angle. I think there was a pic over at bikeforums.net a while ago of an out-of-synch aero build.