Wheel component suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Msa

I'm looking to build a set of racing/training wheels and would like advice please.

Good lightweight hub choices seem to be Hugi or American Classic, AC's are not available in the UK
though. Good rim choice seems to be Open Pro's or Ambrosio Excellence, I'm 78kg, bit worried about
the Excellence durability?

DT spokes, seem to be the way to go.

I'd like to build a pair of strong wheels under 1500g, Hugi/Open Pros would give me this.

Any other suggestions on what I could have built around that £300 price range ($480) or
preferable less?

Thanks,

MA

MSA <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I'm looking to build a set of racing/training wheels and would like advice please.
>
> Good lightweight hub choices seem to be Hugi or American Classic, AC's are not available in the UK
> though. Good rim choice seems to be Open Pro's or Ambrosio Excellence, I'm 78kg,
bit
> worried about the Excellence durability?
>
> DT spokes, seem to be the way to go.
>
> I'd like to build a pair of strong wheels under 1500g, Hugi/Open Pros
would
> give me this.
>
> Any other suggestions on what I could have built around that £300 price range ($480) or
> preferable less?
>
> Thanks,
>
> MA
>
>

Posted by mistake, redirected to .tech. Apologies, but reply if you can be of help!

Tnx. Mark

Check our www.oddsandendos.com. It's in Florida, USA, but I'll bet he'll ship anywhere. I got a set
of wheels built up with the new super-light, high flange American classic rear hub with Velocity
Aerohead rims and revolution spokes. 28 rear. The front is a Ringle hub with 24 radially laced
spokes and Aerohead rim. I've been riding a couple hundred miles a week, mostly on pretty rough tar
and gravel roads. The wheels have about 1,600 miles on them and they're as true as the day they
arrived. They're not the lightest thing out there, but they're light. I knew I was gonna be on these
rough roads. They've held up great. This weekend I hope to do my first race (if the weather doesn't
cause me to wimp out). I look forward to racing on these puppies. They seem REALLY fast to me. Oh
... and I paid $327.

Bob C. "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I'm looking to build a set of racing/training wheels and would like advice please.
>
> Good lightweight hub choices seem to be Hugi or American Classic, AC's are not available in the UK
> though. Good rim choice seems to be Open Pro's or Ambrosio Excellence, I'm 78kg,
bit
>
>
would
> give me this.
>
> Any other suggestions on what I could have built around that £300 price range ($480) or
> preferable less?
>
> Thanks,
>
> MA

"MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
bit
>
>
would
> give me this.
>
> preferable less?
>
> Thanks,
>
> MA
>
A good pair of racing/training wheels depends more on how you ride, how much you weigh, and what
kind of racing you're going to be doing.

For me, I weigh 180#-ish, race track and criteriums, and am predominantly a sprinter. My choice of
good wheels is going to be different than my friend who weighs 135#, likes to climb, and can't
sprint to save his life unless it is at the top of a hill.

Through trial and error, I've found that I can't ride spokes smaller than
14/15 unless I'm going to a 36 hole wheel. My friend is a prime candidate for DT Revolutions.

For my two cents: If I'm going for "fast training/club racing" I'm going to ride my Ritchey Pro
wheels. If I'm going to race the Masters30+ races, I'm going to ride my Cosmics, for the 4s it is a
toss up. If I'm training, I'll ride my 32 hole Reflex/Mavic 571 wheels or my 32 hole Ritchey
aero/Dura Ace wheels. I have a pair of 36 hole MA40 wheels that I love to train on because they ride
so nicely, but I don't know about racing them. I've even raced GL330/American Classic wheels in
crits before.

The one down side to the Cosmics is that they are heavy. Accelerating them out of corners gets to be
old after awhile. For riding at top speeds, they are about the fastest wheels I've ridden on my road
bike. The only thing better would maybe be some Zipps because they're lighter.

I spoke with a gentleman tonight at my LBS. He outweighs me by 50# easy. He was complaining about
his Bullseye wheels built with an 8sp FW and 32 spokes. Said they came out of true regularly.
Could've been a build thing, a dish thing, or could've been a number of things, my recommendation:
go with more spokes and a cassette hub.

It all depends on what you want the wheel to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.