Wheel Component Suggestions

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Msa, Mar 13, 2003.

  1. Msa

    Msa Guest

    I'm looking to build a set of racing/training wheels and would like advice please.

    Good lightweight hub choices seem to be Hugi or American Classic, AC's are not available in the UK
    though. Good rim choice seems to be Open Pro's or Ambrosio Excellence, I'm 78kg, bit worried about
    the Excellence durability?

    DT spokes, seem to be the way to go.

    I'd like to build a pair of strong wheels under 1500g, Hugi/Open Pros would give me this.

    Any other suggestions on what I could have built around that £300 price range ($480) or
    preferable less?

    Thanks,

    MA

    Tags:

  2. MSA-<< I'm looking to build a set of racing/training wheels and would like advice please.

    << Good lightweight hub choices seem to be Hugi or American Classic,

    For weight, price, servicability, durabilty-hard to beat Campagnolo or DuraAce.

    << Good rim choice seems to be Open Pro's or Ambrosio Excellence, I'm 78kg, bit worried about the
    Excellence durability?

    Or Velocity Aeroheads-

    I've built a few Ambrosio, good rim.

    << I'd like to build a pair of strong wheels under 1500g, Hugi/Open Pros would give me this.

    So would Record/DA and Velocity-

    << Any other suggestions on what I could have built around that £300 price range ($480) or
    preferable less?

    See above-

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

  4. Msa

    Msa Guest

    Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > For weight, price, servicability, durabilty-hard to beat Campagnolo or
    DuraAce.

    > Or Velocity Aeroheads-
    >
    > << I'd like to build a pair of strong wheels under 1500g, Hugi/Open Pros
    would
    > give me this.
    >
    > So would Record/DA and Velocity-
    >

    > << Any other suggestions on what I could have built around that £300 price range ($480) or
    > preferable less?
    >
    > See above-

    OK, point taken. I've decided to build on Campag Record, the weights aren't as bad as I though
    because they include skewers! Unfortunately Velocity rims aren't available in the UK, so I'm going
    to stick with the Open Pro Mavics..tried and tested. What make and model of spoke would best suit,
    something like DT Comps? And nipples?

    Thanks in advance.

    --
    Mark
    ______________________________________

    "Just ask yourself: What would Scooby Doo?"

  5. What make and model of spoke would best suit,
    > something like DT Comps? And nipples?

    Who's building the wheels? If you have a shop/wheelbuilder doing these for you they should be asking
    about things such as weight, riding style, terrain,...etc to choose the proper spokes. DT 14/15 with
    brass nipples would be a no brainer in either 32 or 36 hole...you could probably go with a lighter
    gauge in front if you really wanted to save a few grams. Past discussions reveal that 36 DT
    revolutions actually weigh less than 32 14/15's (32 DT comp 14/15/14 = 192 grams while 36 DT rev
    14/17/14 = 162 grams). SAB

  6. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    >I'm looking to build a set of racing/training wheels and would like advice please. Good lightweight
    >hub choices seem to be Hugi or American Classic, AC's are not available in the UK though. Good rim
    >choice seems to be Open Pro's or Ambrosio Excellence, I'm 78kg, bit worried about the Excellence
    >durability? DT spokes, seem to be the way to go. I'd like to build a pair of strong wheels under
    >1500g, Hugi/Open Pros would give me this. Any other suggestions on what I could have built around
    >that £300 price range ($480) or preferable less?

    I would use Dura-Ace hubs. They are lightweight, remember advertised weights include skewers, and
    are very reliable. Some of the other hubs look good on paper, but in actual use are not that great.
    For spokes, you can't go wrong with DT. I personally use 15/16 on all my wheels and have had no
    problems. For rims, I like Velocity aeroheads. Some of the lightest rims around and easy to build up
    to a good wheel. They don't have eyelets, so you shouldn't use aluminum alloy nipples.