Wheel Component Suggestions

Msa

Guest
I'm looking to build a set of racing/training wheels and would like advice please.

Good lightweight hub choices seem to be Hugi or American Classic, AC's are not available in the UK
though. Good rim choice seems to be Open Pro's or Ambrosio Excellence, I'm 78kg, bit worried about
the Excellence durability?

DT spokes, seem to be the way to go.

I'd like to build a pair of strong wheels under 1500g, Hugi/Open Pros would give me this.

Any other suggestions on what I could have built around that £300 price range ($480) or
preferable less?

Thanks,

MA

MSA-<< I'm looking to build a set of racing/training wheels and would like advice please.

<< Good lightweight hub choices seem to be Hugi or American Classic,

For weight, price, servicability, durabilty-hard to beat Campagnolo or DuraAce.

<< Good rim choice seems to be Open Pro's or Ambrosio Excellence, I'm 78kg, bit worried about the
Excellence durability?

Or Velocity Aeroheads-

I've built a few Ambrosio, good rim.

<< I'd like to build a pair of strong wheels under 1500g, Hugi/Open Pros would give me this.

So would Record/DA and Velocity-

<< Any other suggestions on what I could have built around that £300 price range ($480) or
preferable less?

See above-

Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> For weight, price, servicability, durabilty-hard to beat Campagnolo or
DuraAce.

> Or Velocity Aeroheads-
>
> << I'd like to build a pair of strong wheels under 1500g, Hugi/Open Pros
would
> give me this.
>
> So would Record/DA and Velocity-
>

> << Any other suggestions on what I could have built around that £300 price range ($480) or
> preferable less?
>
> See above-

OK, point taken. I've decided to build on Campag Record, the weights aren't as bad as I though
because they include skewers! Unfortunately Velocity rims aren't available in the UK, so I'm going
to stick with the Open Pro Mavics..tried and tested. What make and model of spoke would best suit,
something like DT Comps? And nipples?

Thanks in advance.

--
Mark
______________________________________

"Just ask yourself: What would Scooby Doo?"

What make and model of spoke would best suit,
> something like DT Comps? And nipples?

Who's building the wheels? If you have a shop/wheelbuilder doing these for you they should be asking
about things such as weight, riding style, terrain,...etc to choose the proper spokes. DT 14/15 with
brass nipples would be a no brainer in either 32 or 36 hole...you could probably go with a lighter
gauge in front if you really wanted to save a few grams. Past discussions reveal that 36 DT
revolutions actually weigh less than 32 14/15's (32 DT comp 14/15/14 = 192 grams while 36 DT rev
14/17/14 = 162 grams). SAB

>I'm looking to build a set of racing/training wheels and would like advice please. Good lightweight
>hub choices seem to be Hugi or American Classic, AC's are not available in the UK though. Good rim
>choice seems to be Open Pro's or Ambrosio Excellence, I'm 78kg, bit worried about the Excellence
>durability? DT spokes, seem to be the way to go. I'd like to build a pair of strong wheels under
>1500g, Hugi/Open Pros would give me this. Any other suggestions on what I could have built around
>that £300 price range ($480) or preferable less?

I would use Dura-Ace hubs. They are lightweight, remember advertised weights include skewers, and
are very reliable. Some of the other hubs look good on paper, but in actual use are not that great.
For spokes, you can't go wrong with DT. I personally use 15/16 on all my wheels and have had no
problems. For rims, I like Velocity aeroheads. Some of the lightest rims around and easy to build up
to a good wheel. They don't have eyelets, so you shouldn't use aluminum alloy nipples.