wheel cover UCI legal?

mikeyp123

Mar 29, 2007
I can't find anything in the UCI regulations about a rear wheel cover being illegal in a TT event. Does anyone have any detailed informtaion in regards to this.

I've come across forum posts here and there stating that in 08 they will be banned, but I can't find it in the actual regulations.

thanks,
mike

mikeyp123 said:
I can't find anything in the UCI regulations about a rear wheel cover being illegal in a TT event. Does anyone have any detailed informtaion in regards to this.

I've come across forum posts here and there stating that in 08 they will be banned, but I can't find it in the actual regulations.

thanks,
mike
IIRC, wheel covers come under:
1.3.024 Any device, added or blended into the structure, that is destined to decrease, or which has the effect of decreasing, resistance to air penetration or artificially to accelerate propulsion, such as a protective screen, fuselage form of fairing or the like, shall be prohibited.

Page 65 of this document: http://www.uci.ch/imgArchive/Rules/1gene-E.pdf

Kinda sucks, one of those letter of the law vs. intent things. Once you allow disk wheels the only difference is one of construction and price. It's not like you get any extra benefit out of wheel covers that you don't get with a disk, you just pay a lot less for the wheel covers. So it becomes a rule of "you can use a faired wheel if you can afford it" instead of just prohibiting or allowing faired wheels. Seems like an obvious place to make an exception now that disks are commonplace, the rules shouldn't favor financial advantages.

-Dave

daveryanwyoming said:
http://www.uci.ch/imgArchive/Rules/1gene-E.pdf
Kinda sucks, one of those letter of the law vs. intent things. Once you allow disk wheels the only difference is one of construction and price. It's not like you get any extra benefit out of wheel covers that you don't get with a disk, you just pay a lot less for the wheel covers. So it becomes a rule of "you can use a faired wheel if you can afford it" instead of just prohibiting or allowing faired wheels. Seems like an obvious place to make an exception now that disks are commonplace, the rules shouldn't favor financial advantages.

-Dave
Well that blows. I wonder if it will actually be enforced by the marshalls. I guess there's one way to find out. I'd really like to use my PowerTap wheel for TTs. Hells no will I be shelling out the crazy cash for the new Zipp+PT disc.

mikeyp123 said:
Well that blows. I wonder if it will actually be enforced by the marshalls. ....
If you're in the states and riding local events it almost certainly won't be enforced. I raced half a dozen sanctioned time trials last season including a couple of state championship events and wheel covers were no problem. I was concerned about the championship events so I dropped emails to the promoters before the race and in both cases they specifically said they were allowing them. Different story if you go to nationals and I can't speak for other countries where I understand the UCI rules are more strictly enforced.

-Dave

daveryanwyoming said:
If you're in the states and riding local events it almost certainly won't be enforced.

Actually if USAC rules are enforced, wheel covers would be allowed.

Are you talking about that two plastic discs you can put on the outside of a regular wheel to make it an aero wheel? If so, then that really sucks. I don't have the kind of money to just go out and buy a full carbon Ghibli or something.

Travis44 said:
Are you talking about that two plastic discs you can put on the outside of a regular wheel to make it an aero wheel? If so, then that really sucks. I don't have the kind of money to just go out and buy a full carbon Ghibli or something.
asgelle is absolutely right, I was looking at UCI rules which in the US at least only applies to Nationals. Under USAC rules wheel covers (yep, two plastic disks that cover your spokes) are specifically allowed as an exception to the normal faring rule that prohibits devices whose sole purpose is to improve aerodynamics.

Wheel covers are fine at local and state level events in the US. I've ridden a set from www.wheelbuilder.com at 3 state TT championships and several weekend stage races in the past year with no issues.

-Dave

I'm sure I can't find it now but I remember looking at wind tunnel testing that showed, under most conditions, wheel covers actually increased drag.

The arguement they were making was that it is the SHAPE of the disk that makes it effective. Slappining a plastic cover over a 32 spoke wheel (or the like) increased the surface area and thereby drag.

This article would be at least 15 years old now so who knows if this has be refuted by now.

Anyone have any input here?

Bob Dopolina said:
I'm sure I can't find it now but I remember looking at wind tunnel testing that showed, under most conditions, wheel covers actually increased drag.

The arguement they were making was that it is the SHAPE of the disk that makes it effective. Slappining a plastic cover over a 32 spoke wheel (or the like) increased the surface area and thereby drag.

This article would be at least 15 years old now so who knows if this has be refuted by now.

Anyone have any input here?
Actually there's a fair amount of recent wind tunnel data showing that covered spokes are similar to disks across most yaw angles. Zipp published some data that suggested their flat disks were superior to lenticular designs including covered spokes in some conditions which had a lot to do with chainstay clearance on different bikes. They also pointed out that wheelcovers should have their edges, including the edge around the hub taped with electrical tape so they don't flap and catch wind. I wonder if your older study was performed with untaped covers that caught some wind.

Anyway, I've tested my TT bike CdA with the rear wheel covered and with a standard race wheel. I'm definitely more aerodynamic in real world conditions with a covered rear wheel but it's a small advantage compared to just getting a good position with the aero bars and wearing an aero helmet.

-Dave