Wheel Covers used in Time Trials

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Brian, May 10, 2003.

  1. Brian

    Brian Guest

    Has anyone had experience with wheel covers (lens shaped plastic covers for the rear wheel)for use
    in time trials? Are they effective? Who sells them? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

    Brian

    Tags:

  2. "Brian" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Has anyone had experience with wheel covers (lens shaped plastic covers for the rear wheel)for use
    > in time trials? Are they effective? Who sells them? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
    >
    > Brian

    I'm not sure what wheel covers are commercially available, but for the district TT last year, I used
    a Mylar cover (Monokote RC airplane skin). The following link was very useful, but instead of using
    an iron to shrink the Mylar, I made passes over my gas grill with the wheel (quickly at first, then
    slower to figure out the shrink rate and to prevent possible melting). I did one side at a time, and
    the second side came out quite nicely and much smoother than the first side.

    http://www.angelfire.com/realm/cvccbikers/misc/wheel_cover.html

  3. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

    Carl Sundquist <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Brian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> Has anyone had experience with wheel covers (lens shaped plastic covers for the rear wheel)for
    >> use in time trials? Are they effective? Who sells them? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
    >>
    >> Brian

    > I'm not sure what wheel covers are commercially available, but for the district TT last year, I
    > used a Mylar cover (Monokote RC airplane skin). The following link was very useful, but instead of
    > using an iron to shrink the Mylar, I made passes over my gas grill with the wheel (quickly at
    > first, then slower to figure out the shrink rate and to prevent possible melting). I did one side
    > at a time, and the second side came out quite nicely and much smoother than the first side.

    > http://www.angelfire.com/realm/cvccbikers/misc/wheel_cover.html

    CH covers are still available through Excel: http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=8&description=-
    Wheel+Cover&vendorCode=CHAERO&major=1&minor=24

    I don't know if anyone else carries them, they're not exactly a hot item. They are effective though.
    The largest drawback seems to be that they do not induce envy in ones friends (or enemies). The
    speed gained per $$ spent if very good.

    If you have never done the shrink wrap stuff then be sure to budget enough time and material for two
    attempts because the odds of screwing up the first attempt are high.

    Bob Schwartz [email protected]

  4. Keven Ruf

    Keven Ruf Guest

    [email protected] (Brian) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Has anyone had experience with wheel covers (lens shaped plastic covers for the rear wheel)for use
    > in time trials? Are they effective? Who sells them? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
    >
    > Brian

    I use the CH Aero wheel cover, sold by Colorado Cyclist. It looks and sounds fast, although the
    swoosh sound is not so amplified as the plywood or carbon solid disk wheels. The only drawback is
    that you can't strap the bike down by the rear wheel on the roof-top carrier. Otherwise, I think the
    wheel cover is an excellent way to get a little more aero and it gives a good psychological boost.

    Every time I use it at a time trial I hear opposite opinions about its actual effectiveness. It's
    treated me well and I feel faster with it. My times are continuing to improve too, so I doubt it has
    slowed me any.

    --Keven.