Wheel Dishing Woes

Doug Atwell

Dec 13, 2007
I just built my first wheel (front) on my Park TS-2 Professional Truing Stand and it turned out nicely. In building the rear wheel I am unable to get the wheel to center in the calipers. Can you please help with advice to get the proper dish, etc. on this wheel. It is a Shimano XT hub and Velocity Cliffhanger rim. Thanks for any input...Doug Atwell

Doug Atwell said:
I just built my first wheel (front) on my Park TS-2 Professional Truing Stand and it turned out nicely. In building the rear wheel I am unable to get the wheel to center in the calipers. Can you please help with advice to get the proper dish, etc. on this wheel. It is a Shimano XT hub and Velocity Cliffhanger rim. Thanks for any input...Doug Atwell

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readinstructions.asp?id=135

Park Tool instructions for centering.

Separate dishing tool is the easier/faster way for varieties of wheels.

Or get the wheel true and flip it over in the stand. If/when it touches the left or right feeler (which ever is closest) when you flip the wheel, it is thn centered. In other words; let's say your wheel is true and you are checking it for centering. You close down the lateral adjustment until one side just touches the rim. You then flip the wheel over and adjust it's centering until it just touches the same side.
Boy, this is harder to put into word than it is the show you.
Was my explanation helpful?

Thankyou David...I'll follow your suggestions. In my attempt to center the wheel I saw that it was trying to stay to one side of the calipers, so I'll let it. I'll also go ahead and get a dishing tool to be sure. Thanks again for your fast response...Doug Atwell
daveornee said:
http://www.parktool.com/repair/readinstructions.asp?id=135

Park Tool instructions for centering.

Separate dishing tool is the easier/faster way for varieties of wheels.

Or get the wheel true and flip it over in the stand. If/when it touches the left or right feeler (which ever is closest) when you flip the wheel, it is thn centered. In other words; let's say your wheel is true and you are checking it for centering. You close down the lateral adjustment until one side just touches the rim. You then flip the wheel over and adjust it's centering until it just touches the same side.
Boy, this is harder to put into word than it is the show you.
Was my explanation helpful?