Wheel drops out - I drop down

Pendejo

Apr 8, 2006
I can't believe this one myself. A couple of weeks ago I had my bike in the shop for a few minor things, including truing up the rear wheel. I've ridden it several times since then. Two days ago I was starting out on a ride and was stopped at the light at a busy intersection. The light went green, I locked in and went, except the bike didn't go with me, and somehow I was able to get my foot out and down before I hit the pavement. I carried the bike off to the side and found that the rear wheel had come loose from the dropouts and jammed. I rammed it back into place and made sure it was clamped tight.

I do my ride, and I'm back at that same intersection, heading home. Light goes green, I lock in and step on it, and down I go, all the way this time. Damned rear wheel was sprung loose again. I was "lucky" with only a bloody elbow and knee to show for it. Had cars been passing me on the right, I could have gotten a crushing headache.

Now I don't even know if I trust my bike anymore. The wheel is in place, it's very tight. But I thought it was before, too. I guess I'm going to have to experiment a bit on some grass before I "hit" the road again.

i have no idea what could be causing your situation, but ive had a similar one the past 2 days. yesterday i started off from a green light and my foot came unclipped as i was standing to go up the hill on the other side of the street, s naturally i bonked. i got up, adjusted the brakes to their correct position and rode off without incident. i think everything is alright so i go out again today and after about 1/2 of a mile, start going from a stop sign and the same foot comes out, and i go down again, this time on the other side of my body. both elbows and knees are bare, but this time my cleat is done for. the screws snapped into pieces and the cleat itself (speedplay) looks more like a compressed C than a circle.

anyway, stuff happens, keep riding.

Pendejo said:
... The wheel is in place, it's very tight. But I thought it was before, too. I guess I'm going to have to experiment a bit on some grass before I "hit" the road again.

Check how much your axle protrudes at both sides. If the LBS adjusted your bearing play and didn't get the axle centered properly maybe your QR is bottoming out against the axle instead of clamping down against the dropout.

A simular thing happened once to me. i went mountain bikeing and while on the trail the brake started to rub. i removed the wheel and fixed the brake and put the wheel back on. well 20 miles later i finished the ride and as i was putting my bike into the car the same front wheel just slit out. i was lucky that it hadn't fallen out sooner b/c there were a few little jumps. i took it to a local shop and they siad that it was the threads on the skewer were stripped and that's what caused the brake to rub.

I guess the answer to my mystery is pretty simple: the wheel just wasn't locked all the way into the dropouts. Apparently the kid at the bike shop did that the first time, and then when I almost went down because of it I rammed the wheel back into place while the bike was upright, but I guess it still wasn't in place and that's why I went down later.

I've learned now that I can't be sure my back wheel is fully in place unless the bike is upside down and I have a clear view of the axle resting in the dropouts. How the pro mechanics fling a back wheel on almost while the bike is in motion I don't know.

I've had the same thing happen, and I'm positive that it was down to the clamp on the skewer not pressing exactly straight and flush onto the dropout. Then when you hit a bump, it finally does straighten up, but then you've lost the tension, and the wheel is vulnerable to dropping out. I put a little grease on the clamp and dropout faces now to make sure the clamp slides into exactly the right place whenever I tighten it.

Pendejo said:
I guess the answer to my mystery is pretty simple: the wheel just wasn't locked all the way into the dropouts. Apparently the kid at the bike shop did that the first time, and then when I almost went down because of it I rammed the wheel back into place while the bike was upright, but I guess it still wasn't in place and that's why I went down later.

I've learned now that I can't be sure my back wheel is fully in place unless the bike is upside down and I have a clear view of the axle resting in the dropouts. How the pro mechanics fling a back wheel on almost while the bike is in motion I don't know.
Operative word...."Pro"

The only time I had that happen to me was on a mountain bike on some trails in the forest. It was my front wheel and it kept coming loose. I would make sure the skewer was tight but within a mile of riding it would be loose again. The wheel never came off, I was lucky that way. But I found out at the end of the ride was that the axle was broken in the hub! Needless to say I had it replaced but I sure am glad the darn thing didn't give out altogether! Check your axle.

Pendejo said:
I can't believe this one myself. A couple of weeks ago I had my bike in the shop for a few minor things, including truing up the rear wheel. I've ridden it several times since then. Two days ago I was starting out on a ride and was stopped at the light at a busy intersection. The light went green, I locked in and went, except the bike didn't go with me, and somehow I was able to get my foot out and down before I hit the pavement. I carried the bike off to the side and found that the rear wheel had come loose from the dropouts and jammed. I rammed it back into place and made sure it was clamped tight.

I do my ride, and I'm back at that same intersection, heading home. Light goes green, I lock in and step on it, and down I go, all the way this time. Damned rear wheel was sprung loose again. I was "lucky" with only a bloody elbow and knee to show for it. Had cars been passing me on the right, I could have gotten a crushing headache.

Now I don't even know if I trust my bike anymore. The wheel is in place, it's very tight. But I thought it was before, too. I guess I'm going to have to experiment a bit on some grass before I "hit" the road again.
I would take it back to the shop to be checked out... I would also replace the quick release skewer maybe?

dabac said:
Check how much your axle protrudes at both sides. If the LBS adjusted your bearing play and didn't get the axle centered properly maybe your QR is bottoming out against the axle instead of clamping down against the dropout.
+1 on above comment. See park tool website:
http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=105
  1. NOTE: For quick release wheels, it is critical the axle end sit inboard or recessed inside the frame or fork dropout. This allows the quick release skewer to secure onto the frame or fork end. If the axle end protrudes even a very small amount, the wheel may not properly secure and may come out during use. In the image below the axle end is only slightly too long. If the hub is the correct width, check the axle is centered between the locknuts. It may be necessary to grind off the axle end until it is safely recessed.
    hub101.jpg