wheel lace?

Joshua Goldberg

Guest
Hate to ask dumb questions, but this one is keeping me awake. Is there such a thing as Left and
Right spokes. I had a wheel laced a few weeks ago and took the spokes and nipples to the wheel
builder and he calls me back the next day and says..am going to have to charge you an extra $10.00
(because) all the spokes you gave me are Left Side spokes. I immediately said...I thought spokes are
the same and there is no Left and Right spokes...reply was (well the rim has a Left side and a right
side, so you need spokes that are Left and Right). I now wonder (was he trying to rob me on the
spoke thing or is there really a L & R spoke??)

"Joshua Goldberg" skrev ...
> Hate to ask dumb questions, but this one is keeping me awake. Is there such a thing as Left and
> Right spokes. I had a wheel laced a few weeks ago and took the spokes and nipples to the wheel
> builder and he calls me back the next day and says..am going to have to charge you an extra $10.00
> (because) all the spokes you gave me are Left Side spokes. I immediately said...I thought spokes
> are the same and there is no Left and Right spokes...reply was (well the rim has a Left side and a
> right side, so you need spokes that are Left and Right). I now wonder (was he trying to rob me on
> the spoke thing or is there really a L & R spoke??)

I'm no expert but I'd say trying to rob you. I bought 40 spokes recently to have my frontwheel built
and theres nothing distinguishing the leftover 4 I'm looking at now.

Ask him to show you the difference.

M.

On Mon, 21 Apr 2003, Joshua Goldberg <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hate to ask dumb questions, but this one is keeping me awake. Is there such a thing as Left and
> Right spokes.

No, spokes are the same.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

Was this a front or rear wheel? The rear wheel can have spokes of different length because of the
offset necessitated by the hub and dish. "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:p[email protected]...
> Hate to ask dumb questions, but this one is keeping me awake. Is there
such
> a thing as Left and Right spokes. I had a wheel laced a few weeks ago and took the spokes and
> nipples to the wheel builder and he calls me back the next day and says..am going to have to
> charge you an extra $10.00 (because) all the spokes you gave me are
Left
> Side spokes. I immediately said...I thought spokes are the same and there
is
> no Left and Right spokes...reply was (well the rim has a Left side and a right side, so you need
> spokes that are Left and Right). I now wonder (was he trying to rob me on the spoke thing or is
> there really a L & R spoke??)

Most rear freewheel/cassette will have different length spokes due to the "dish" required.

Inc 1-800-586-6645 "Alma Williams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Was this a front or rear wheel? The rear wheel can have spokes of
different
> length because of the offset necessitated by the hub and dish. "Joshua Goldberg"
> <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
> > Hate to ask dumb questions, but this one is keeping me awake. Is there
> such
> > a thing as Left and Right spokes. I had a wheel laced a few weeks ago and took the spokes and
> > nipples to
the
> > wheel builder and he calls me back the next day and says..am going to
have
> > to charge you an extra $10.00 (because) all the spokes you gave me are
> Left
> > Side spokes. I immediately said...I thought spokes are the same and
there
> is
> > no Left and Right spokes...reply was (well the rim has a Left side and a right side, so you need
> > spokes that are Left and Right). I now wonder
(was
> > he trying to rob me on the spoke thing or is there really a L & R
spoke??)

Alma is right. Not only can rear wheels have different length spokes for the left and right sides,
this is the norm. John

news:<[email protected]>...
> Hate to ask dumb questions, but this one is keeping me awake. Is there such a thing as Left and
> Right spokes. I had a wheel laced a few weeks ago and took the spokes and nipples to the wheel
> builder and he calls me back the next day and says..am going to have to charge you an extra $10.00
> (because) all the spokes you gave me are Left Side spokes. I immediately said...I thought spokes
> are the same and there is no Left and Right spokes...reply was (well the rim has a Left side and a
> right side, so you need spokes that are Left and Right). I now wonder (was he trying to rob me on
> the spoke thing or is there really a L & R spoke??)

Thanx to all and yes it was a rear wheel being laced.
------------------------
"Jude T. McGloin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Most rear freewheel/cassette will have different length spokes due to the "dish" required.
>
> Jude....///Bacchetta AERO St. Michaels and Tilghman Island.. Maryland Wheel Doctor Cycle and
> Sports, Inc 1-800-586-6645 "Alma Williams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Was this a front or rear wheel? The rear wheel can have spokes of
> different
> > length because of the offset necessitated by the hub and dish. "Joshua Goldberg"
> > <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
> > > Hate to ask dumb questions, but this one is keeping me awake. Is there
> > such
> > > a thing as Left and Right spokes. I had a wheel laced a few weeks ago and took the spokes and
> > > nipples to
> the
> > > wheel builder and he calls me back the next day and says..am going to
> have
> > > to charge you an extra $10.00 (because) all the spokes you gave me are
> > Left
> > > Side spokes. I immediately said...I thought spokes are the same and
> there
> > is
> > > no Left and Right spokes...reply was (well the rim has a Left side and
> > > right side, so you need spokes that are Left and Right). I now wonder
> (was
> > > he trying to rob me on the spoke thing or is there really a L & R
> spoke??)

Correct, Rear wheels can have different length spokes to accomodate dish. The bike shop employee
should have explained that more clearly.

"Alma Williams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Was this a front or rear wheel? The rear wheel can have spokes of different length because of the
> offset necessitated by the hub and dish.

news:<[email protected]>...
> Hate to ask dumb questions, but this one is keeping me awake. Is there such a thing as Left and
> Right spokes. I had a wheel laced a few weeks ago and took the spokes and nipples to the wheel
> builder and he calls me back the next day and says..am going to have to charge you an extra $10.00
> (because) all the spokes you gave me are Left Side spokes. I immediately said...I thought spokes
> are the same and there is no Left and Right spokes...reply was (well the rim has a Left side and a
> right side, so you need spokes that are Left and Right). I now wonder (was he trying to rob me on
> the spoke thing or is there really a L & R spoke??)

If your using disk hubs on the front they too will have different length spokes for the
left and right

news:p[email protected]...
> Hate to ask dumb questions, but this one is keeping me awake. Is there
such
> a thing as Left and Right spokes. I had a wheel laced a few weeks ago and took the spokes and
> nipples to the wheel builder and he calls me back the next day and says..am going to have to
> charge you an extra $10.00 (because) all the spokes you gave me are
Left
> Side spokes. I immediately said...I thought spokes are the same and there
is
> no Left and Right spokes...reply was (well the rim has a Left side and a right side, so you need
> spokes that are Left and Right). I now wonder (was he trying to rob me on the spoke thing or is
> there really a L & R spoke??)

Top-of-the-line trikes as Josh creates really needs symmetrispokes :
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/symspoke.html

regards Torben