Wheel Magnet - Any ideas?

Msa

Guest
I require another wheel magnet for my computer.

The type I want is made of black plastic...it clips over the spoke and is held on by a metal collar
that slides over the plastic. The magnet is sort of cylindrical in shape and about 1.5cm long.

Q1: What make is this, I've had various Cateye's, Polar's and Sigma's in the past but cannot
remember which one it came with.
Q2: Any idea where I can get a replacement

If any one has one lurking in the bottom of a tool box any where I would be very happy to purchase!

Thanks,

--
Mark

I *think* that's a Sigma magnet...

I would have thought that any magnet would do though, as all magnet-activated bike computers work on
the same principle.

I just got a replacement magnet from my LBS. They fished around in one of their junk boxes, found an
old magnet, and said I could have it for free!

"MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I require another wheel magnet for my computer.
>
> The type I want is made of black plastic...it clips over the spoke and is held on by a metal
> collar that slides over the plastic. The magnet is
sort
> of cylindrical in shape and about 1.5cm long.
>
> Q1: What make is this, I've had various Cateye's, Polar's and Sigma's in the past but cannot
> remember which one it came with.
> Q2: Any idea where I can get a replacement
>
> If any one has one lurking in the bottom of a tool box any where I would
be
> very happy to purchase!
>
> Thanks,
>

> --
> Mark

"MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I require another wheel magnet for my computer.
>
> The type I want is made of black plastic...it clips over the spoke and is held on by a metal
> collar that slides over the plastic. The magnet is
sort
> of cylindrical in shape and about 1.5cm long.
>
> Q1: What make is this, I've had various Cateye's, Polar's and Sigma's in the past but cannot
> remember which one it came with.
> Q2: Any idea where I can get a replacement

Not a Cateye as they wrap around two spokes and have a single screw to hold the two bits of plastic
case together.

However, any reasonable magnet will do the job provided you can move the sensor to within 2-3mm of
the magnet - all the magnet is doing is operating a magnetic reed switch in the sensor, nothing
clever or technical.

NC.

NC <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I require another wheel magnet for my computer.
> >
> > The type I want is made of black plastic...it clips over the spoke and
is
> > held on by a metal collar that slides over the plastic. The magnet is
> sort
> > of cylindrical in shape and about 1.5cm long.
> >
> > Q1: What make is this, I've had various Cateye's, Polar's and Sigma's
in
> > the past but cannot remember which one it came with.
> > Q2: Any idea where I can get a replacement
>
> Not a Cateye as they wrap around two spokes and have a single screw to
hold
> the two bits of plastic case together.
>
> However, any reasonable magnet will do the job provided you can move the sensor to within 2-3mm of
> the magnet - all the magnet is doing is
operating
> a magnetic reed switch in the sensor, nothing clever or technical.
>

> NC.

Thanks guys, I had a feeling it was a Sigma. I have a Cateye one in my tool box but because I need
to fit it near the rim (Polar sender needs to be closer than where the spokes cross) it will not
work. I am currently using a massive screw on magnet...it does the job, but I really want to replace
it with a 'Sigma' one. I will have to visit my LBS and see what he has.

Still interested if anyone has one :)

--
Mark

"MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> NC <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > I require another wheel magnet for my computer.
> > >
> > > The type I want is made of black plastic...it clips over the spoke and
> is
> > > held on by a metal collar that slides over the plastic. The magnet is
> sort
> > > of cylindrical in shape and about 1.5cm long.
> > >
> > > Q1: What make is this, I've had various Cateye's, Polar's and Sigma's
> in
> > > the past but cannot remember which one it came with.
> > > Q2: Any idea where I can get a replacement
> >
> > Not a Cateye as they wrap around two spokes and have a single screw to
> hold
> > the two bits of plastic case together.
> >
> > However, any reasonable magnet will do the job provided you can move the sensor to within 2-3mm
> > of the magnet - all the magnet is doing is
> operating
> > a magnetic reed switch in the sensor, nothing clever or technical.
> >

> > NC.
> >

> Thanks guys, I had a feeling it was a Sigma. I have a Cateye one in my tool box but because I need
> to fit it near the rim (Polar sender needs to be closer than where the spokes cross) it will not
> work. I am currently using a massive screw on magnet...it does the job, but I really want to
> replace it with a 'Sigma' one. I will have to visit my LBS and see what he has.
>
> Still interested if anyone has one :)

Mark, It's definately a sigma magnet, or, rather, my wife has a sigma computer on her bike which
came with that type of magnet. She got hers from Tesco, where the 'puter was £10. SteveP

Dunno but surely any decent magnet will do the job
When my bike was in at my LBS after an argument with a car they replaced my front wheel and with it
supplied a rather natty round magnet in a metal holder that simply attached to a spoke with a screw
would this do you? I think I might even have one on another bike if you want to try it.

Al

Al <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
Sigma's
> Dunno but surely any decent magnet will do the job
> When my bike was in at my LBS after an argument with a car they replaced my front wheel and with
> it supplied a rather natty round magnet in a metal holder that simply attached to a spoke with a
> screw would this do you? I think I might even have one on another bike if you want to try it.
>
> Al

I think that's the type I have, but thanks anyway. I want to fit it to a wheelset with bladed
spokes, and I sort of found a perfect way to do it with the Sigma.

Could always result to Superglue!

Thanks everyone...trip to the LBS to rummage through their drawers...ooh, err, missus!

--
Mark