Wheel Magnet - Any ideas?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Msa, May 12, 2003.

  1. Msa

    Msa Guest

    I require another wheel magnet for my computer.

    The type I want is made of black plastic...it clips over the spoke and is held on by a metal collar
    that slides over the plastic. The magnet is sort of cylindrical in shape and about 1.5cm long.

    Q1: What make is this, I've had various Cateye's, Polar's and Sigma's in the past but cannot
    remember which one it came with.
    Q2: Any idea where I can get a replacement

    If any one has one lurking in the bottom of a tool box any where I would be very happy to purchase!

    Thanks,

    --
    Mark

  2. Mick Haddock

    Mick Haddock Guest

    I *think* that's a Sigma magnet...

    I would have thought that any magnet would do though, as all magnet-activated bike computers work on
    the same principle.

    I just got a replacement magnet from my LBS. They fished around in one of their junk boxes, found an
    old magnet, and said I could have it for free!

    "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I require another wheel magnet for my computer.
    >
    > The type I want is made of black plastic...it clips over the spoke and is held on by a metal
    > collar that slides over the plastic. The magnet is
    sort
    > of cylindrical in shape and about 1.5cm long.
    >
    > Q1: What make is this, I've had various Cateye's, Polar's and Sigma's in the past but cannot
    > remember which one it came with.
    > Q2: Any idea where I can get a replacement
    >
    > If any one has one lurking in the bottom of a tool box any where I would
    be
    > very happy to purchase!
    >
    > Thanks,
    >

    > --
    > Mark

  3. Nc

    Nc Guest

    "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I require another wheel magnet for my computer.
    >
    > The type I want is made of black plastic...it clips over the spoke and is held on by a metal
    > collar that slides over the plastic. The magnet is
    sort
    > of cylindrical in shape and about 1.5cm long.
    >
    > Q1: What make is this, I've had various Cateye's, Polar's and Sigma's in the past but cannot
    > remember which one it came with.
    > Q2: Any idea where I can get a replacement

    Not a Cateye as they wrap around two spokes and have a single screw to hold the two bits of plastic
    case together.

    However, any reasonable magnet will do the job provided you can move the sensor to within 2-3mm of
    the magnet - all the magnet is doing is operating a magnetic reed switch in the sensor, nothing
    clever or technical.

    NC.

  4. Msa

    Msa Guest

    NC <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I require another wheel magnet for my computer.
    > >
    > > The type I want is made of black plastic...it clips over the spoke and
    is
    > > held on by a metal collar that slides over the plastic. The magnet is
    > sort
    > > of cylindrical in shape and about 1.5cm long.
    > >
    > > Q1: What make is this, I've had various Cateye's, Polar's and Sigma's
    in
    > > the past but cannot remember which one it came with.
    > > Q2: Any idea where I can get a replacement
    >
    > Not a Cateye as they wrap around two spokes and have a single screw to
    hold
    > the two bits of plastic case together.
    >
    > However, any reasonable magnet will do the job provided you can move the sensor to within 2-3mm of
    > the magnet - all the magnet is doing is
    operating
    > a magnetic reed switch in the sensor, nothing clever or technical.
    >

    > NC.

    Thanks guys, I had a feeling it was a Sigma. I have a Cateye one in my tool box but because I need
    to fit it near the rim (Polar sender needs to be closer than where the spokes cross) it will not
    work. I am currently using a massive screw on magnet...it does the job, but I really want to replace
    it with a 'Sigma' one. I will have to visit my LBS and see what he has.

    Still interested if anyone has one :)

    --
    Mark

  5. "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > NC <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > I require another wheel magnet for my computer.
    > > >
    > > > The type I want is made of black plastic...it clips over the spoke and
    > is
    > > > held on by a metal collar that slides over the plastic. The magnet is
    > sort
    > > > of cylindrical in shape and about 1.5cm long.
    > > >
    > > > Q1: What make is this, I've had various Cateye's, Polar's and Sigma's
    > in
    > > > the past but cannot remember which one it came with.
    > > > Q2: Any idea where I can get a replacement
    > >
    > > Not a Cateye as they wrap around two spokes and have a single screw to
    > hold
    > > the two bits of plastic case together.
    > >
    > > However, any reasonable magnet will do the job provided you can move the sensor to within 2-3mm
    > > of the magnet - all the magnet is doing is
    > operating
    > > a magnetic reed switch in the sensor, nothing clever or technical.
    > >

    > > NC.
    > >

    > Thanks guys, I had a feeling it was a Sigma. I have a Cateye one in my tool box but because I need
    > to fit it near the rim (Polar sender needs to be closer than where the spokes cross) it will not
    > work. I am currently using a massive screw on magnet...it does the job, but I really want to
    > replace it with a 'Sigma' one. I will have to visit my LBS and see what he has.
    >
    > Still interested if anyone has one :)

    Mark, It's definately a sigma magnet, or, rather, my wife has a sigma computer on her bike which
    came with that type of magnet. She got hers from Tesco, where the 'puter was £10. SteveP

  6. Al

    Al Guest

    Dunno but surely any decent magnet will do the job
    When my bike was in at my LBS after an argument with a car they replaced my front wheel and with it
    supplied a rather natty round magnet in a metal holder that simply attached to a spoke with a screw
    would this do you? I think I might even have one on another bike if you want to try it.

    Al

  7. Msa

    Msa Guest

    Al <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    Sigma's
    > Dunno but surely any decent magnet will do the job
    > When my bike was in at my LBS after an argument with a car they replaced my front wheel and with
    > it supplied a rather natty round magnet in a metal holder that simply attached to a spoke with a
    > screw would this do you? I think I might even have one on another bike if you want to try it.
    >
    > Al

    I think that's the type I have, but thanks anyway. I want to fit it to a wheelset with bladed
    spokes, and I sort of found a perfect way to do it with the Sigma.

    Could always result to Superglue!

    Thanks everyone...trip to the LBS to rummage through their drawers...ooh, err, missus!

    --
    Mark