wheel opinions - rim choice

Jason

Guest
Hi

I have scored a set of cheap corima hubs (18 spoke front 24 spoke rear) and was thinking of building
them on Velocity Deep Vs (30mm rim depth) - front radial, rear radial and 3X drive side.

These are to be race wheels (not every day training wheels), for a 162lb rider. I am concerned with
the integrity of the front wheel particularly, pinging spokes, trueness, collapse!

I cannot think of a deeper rim to suit, apart from zipp, which are rather pricey for my budget.

Opinions anyone? Can I stiffen the wheel with spoke choice?

Thanks in advance,

Jason

jason-<< I have scored a set of cheap corima hubs (18 spoke front 24 spoke rear) and was thinking of
building them on Velocity Deep Vs (30mm rim depth) - front radial, rear radial and 3X drive side.

Okay but how about 2 cross both sides rear??

Use 14/15 all around for both wheels, build well, the front should be ok.

"jason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi
>
> I have scored a set of cheap corima hubs (18 spoke front 24 spoke rear) and was thinking of
> building them on Velocity Deep Vs (30mm rim depth) - front radial, rear radial and 3X drive side.
>
> These are to be race wheels (not every day training wheels), for a 162lb rider. I am concerned
> with the integrity of the front wheel particularly, pinging spokes, trueness, collapse!
>
> I cannot think of a deeper rim to suit, apart from zipp, which are rather pricey for my budget.
>
> Opinions anyone? Can I stiffen the wheel with spoke choice?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jason

I've built these rims into wheels using 24/24 for a 180# friend of mine. They seem to do well. If
you're not a sprinter-type, 18 holes in the front will probably do OK for you.

If you can afford it, buy a Zipp 404 rim for the front. Much better.

I'm going to second the 2-cross both sides in the rear, and the spoke gauge recommendations.

Mike