wheel opinions - rim choice

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jason, May 19, 2003.

  1. Jason

    Jason Guest

    Hi

    I have scored a set of cheap corima hubs (18 spoke front 24 spoke rear) and was thinking of building
    them on Velocity Deep Vs (30mm rim depth) - front radial, rear radial and 3X drive side.

    These are to be race wheels (not every day training wheels), for a 162lb rider. I am concerned with
    the integrity of the front wheel particularly, pinging spokes, trueness, collapse!

    I cannot think of a deeper rim to suit, apart from zipp, which are rather pricey for my budget.

    Opinions anyone? Can I stiffen the wheel with spoke choice?

    Thanks in advance,

    Jason

    Tags:

  2. jason-<< I have scored a set of cheap corima hubs (18 spoke front 24 spoke rear) and was thinking of
    building them on Velocity Deep Vs (30mm rim depth) - front radial, rear radial and 3X drive side.

    Okay but how about 2 cross both sides rear??

    Use 14/15 all around for both wheels, build well, the front should be ok.

  3. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "jason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi
    >
    > I have scored a set of cheap corima hubs (18 spoke front 24 spoke rear) and was thinking of
    > building them on Velocity Deep Vs (30mm rim depth) - front radial, rear radial and 3X drive side.
    >
    > These are to be race wheels (not every day training wheels), for a 162lb rider. I am concerned
    > with the integrity of the front wheel particularly, pinging spokes, trueness, collapse!
    >
    > I cannot think of a deeper rim to suit, apart from zipp, which are rather pricey for my budget.
    >
    > Opinions anyone? Can I stiffen the wheel with spoke choice?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Jason

    I've built these rims into wheels using 24/24 for a 180# friend of mine. They seem to do well. If
    you're not a sprinter-type, 18 holes in the front will probably do OK for you.

    If you can afford it, buy a Zipp 404 rim for the front. Much better.

    I'm going to second the 2-cross both sides in the rear, and the spoke gauge recommendations.

    Mike