Wheel Problems

TwoHits

Feb 5, 2006
Hello, newby here.. I recently just purchased my first road bike (Giant ocr3 2006) and on my 1st long ride i started getting a high pitched noise from the back wheel. After checking it i assumed it must be rubbing against the break pad and that i should get it checked out, a few days later i checked it again and the noise was gone so i thought i will see how it goes on the next ride.
On my next ride the noise appeared after 3Km and a few Km later i came off on a descent after a boy racer rode my ass and cut me off :mad:. I came out alright, bar a few scrapes but now my front wheel is rubbing far against my right break pad and it's not rotating for even a second in freespin.

Would appreciate any advice on how to fix these problems.

thanks

Three problems:

1) Intermittent noise. You could be right about the brake pads. They can center a little differently each time you brake, and thus give the sound only sometimes. You might try listening with your ear close to the brake and then close to the hub, preferably not while riding the bike :)

2) Out-of-true wheel. If you are handy, grab The Bicycle Wheel by Jobst Brandt or a good comprehensive book of bike mechanics. You can probably true the wheel by simply turning spoke nipples, but you need to understand what's going on. Even then, you won't be as good as a shop mechanic until you have some practice, so consider just taking it in. They will (you hope) have the experience to know whether the rim is so bent that it needs replacement (usually not). A really good wheel builder is hard to find, but the good ones are worth finding.

3) Racer boys. My first rule is not to let a following rider pressure me into going faster than I feel safe. Then if he or a driver pulls something stupid I'm better able to handle it. If I'm slow and there's only one safe line, it's his problem. That said, I try to be aware and make it easy for faster riders to pass me where it's safe.

Think i will be taking it back to the shop for a mechanic to look over and sort out.

And sorry, it wasn't a fellow bike rider, but a stupid teenager driving his little Fiat punto that ran me off. Around here they are always referd to as boy racers. They are seen as pests on the road as they have no respect for bike riders or other motorists.

Thanks for replying anyway. :)

Oops - language barrier. For that sort of boy racer you need different tactics, best not discussed in public.:)

That squeeking noise also could be the rubber seal on the hub making contact with the hub itself. I've notcied on many many entry level road bikes (especially giant) this problem. I few drops of Triflow or something similar right on the end of the seal takes care of that problem.

Thanks for the advice, manged to get it fixed, the squeeking noise was coming from the hub. Already been on a ride and eveything seems fine :)