wheel purchase decision.....

jdbrzo

Sep 22, 2009
Replacing Ritchey OCR Comp wheels on my bike with either Easton Vista SL's or Mavic Open Pro w/Ultegra hubs - both cost about the same and are said to be "bullit proof". These will be my "all the time" wheels and I am 150 pounds with gear and 50 years old. Anyone have any thoughts as to which wheel set is the one to go with?

If the Ultegra/Mavic set will be 32 spoke then I would think about the lower spoke count of the Vistas...

all's'miles

curby

The hand built's are going to ride more comfortably, the Easton's might be a little faster.

Nothing can compare to hand built wheels over the long haul, you can replace spokes, rims, hubs as needed and will always be able to find spares.

jdbrzo said:
Replacing Ritchey OCR Comp wheels on my bike with either Easton Vista SL's or Mavic Open Pro w/Ultegra hubs - both cost about the same and are said to be "bullit proof". These will be my "all the time" wheels and I am 150 pounds with gear and 50 years old. Anyone have any thoughts as to which wheel set is the one to go with?

Weigh about the same, one won't be any 'faster' than the other BUT when you wear out a rim, Easton 'may' not have a rim to be replaced so your hub(inferior to the Ultegra hub BTW) will become a pen holder. Get the handbuilts.

Peter@vecchios said:
Weigh about the same, one won't be any 'faster' than the other BUT when you wear out a rim, Easton 'may' not have a rim to be replaced so your hub(inferior to the Ultegra hub BTW) will become a pen holder. Get the handbuilts.
One more question before I pull the trigger on the hand builts. BWW has the Blackset Race, their house brand, for $275 and they weigh 1421 gms per set. They are built with DT Swiss spokes (2.0/1.8 in a 24/28 spoke configuration) so should I consider these against the Open Pro/Ultegra's? BTW, I have the Ultegra group sans the crank (FSA Gossamer). Thanks to all for your input.

jdbrzo said:
One more question before I pull the trigger on the hand builts. BWW has the Blackset Race, their house brand, for $275 and they weigh 1421 gms per set. They are built with DT Swiss spokes (2.0/1.8 in a 24/28 spoke configuration) so should I consider these against the Open Pro/Ultegra's? BTW, I have the Ultegra group sans the crank (FSA Gossamer). Thanks to all for your input.

What rims and hubs are the Blackset wheels built up with? That's the meat and potatoes question.

jdbrzo said:

GREAT value, considering they are built with DA hubs. Rims are pretty light tho and coupled with low spoke count, you may have some reliability issues(no such thing as a free lunch) but at $270 vs $750..pretty good deal. I wouldn't base anything on grams tho. It would be a better wheelset with 32 spokes each end and they would weigh a whopping 90 grams more plus be more reliable.

Agree these would be a great deal with DA hubs, but per the webpage specs, they are built with BWW brand ultralight hubs w/cartridge bearings.

Peter@vecchios said:
GREAT value, considering they are built with DA hubs. Rims are pretty light tho and coupled with low spoke count, you may have some reliability issues(no such thing as a free lunch)

Hey, the guy weighs 150 pounds with gear, so there should be no worries. I'd say go for these!

What's wrong with the Ritchey OCR Comp wheels that you have? It's not like they're bad wheels...