Wheel Question, most likely stupid !

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by ports18, Feb 12, 2006.

1. ports18

ports18 New Member

Hi,

This i this probably going to be the most stupid question this forum has ever seen but as im new to the sport I don't feel that bad asking it.

Just recently bought some vuelta wheels, full wheelset. Have swapped cassette from old wheel. For some reason I have needed to re-adjust gears as I couldn't get to the innear rear cog but thats another story.

Anyway when free wheeling (not pedaling) on old rims there was beautiful silence. On new rims there is a noise, obviously this is an intended noise. Am wondering if this is coming from the free hub, something to do with bearings used? (which are loose ball bearings) Can anything be done to change this, I like my silence. Bearing change etc, or full hub change.

As I said the intended noise gets louder as you get faster but I can't get used to it. You guys will know what I mean.

Cheers

Tags:

2. hd reynolds

hd reynolds New Member

This is the cassette ratchet mechanism... it is suppose to be noisy making the 'CRRRRRRR' sound when free-wheeling.

The ratchet wears down over time making it less noisy vis-a-vis when it was new. Lubrication will also make it less noisy. Campagnolo cassettes are noisier than Shimano while Hugi cassettes are quieter than Shimanos so on and so forth....

3. Retro Grouch

Retro Grouch New Member

I don't think so. Not even close. Hugi, Chris King and similar hubs that use the ramped disc ratchetting mechanism are known for noisy freewheeling.

4. hd reynolds

hd reynolds New Member

I dont think so too. I have a set of training wheels w/ DT-Hugi rear hub/AL Cassette that's quieter than a Shimano! It's never been greased since new.

5. Retro Grouch

Retro Grouch New Member

340, 240 or Onyx?

6. PeterF

PeterF New Member

Excellent question. I actually noticed the difference from one set of Mavic Ksyrium's to another. Both made the noise at low speeds, but one was almost silent at higher speeds. Shimano makes a nice quiet hub (I have a set of Open Pro rims laced to Shimano 105 hubs that are perfectly silent). I ride Campy now, and I don't mind the noise. It's good for group rides. It's a nice way of letting the person in front to pick up the pace a bit, if their pedalling and you're coasting...:cool:

7. ports18

ports18 New Member

Thanks guys, guess i'll have to get used to it.

When changing cassette from one wheel to another is it necessary to have to make shifting adjustments ? ie, have a fiddle with the Rear D. When i put the new wheel on I had all sorts of problems shifting up, had a play and got it a bit smoother but still had issues on some gears, taking it to LBS today.

8. dabac

dabac Well-Known Member

It depends on how similar the hubs are. If youre switching between different manufacturers it's likely that they aren't using the exact same cones and spacers, which easily means that the locknut doesn't end up at precisely the same distance from the sprockets. Then when you switch wheels you'll have to adjust the RD to cope with the new situation. If you're really suffering because of this it should be possible to add/replace a couple of spacers/washers/shims until you can switch wheels without upsetting the RD.

9. lyotard

lyotard New Member

hugi at one time made clutch-activated engagement freehubs that where silent.
    early '90's.

10. topcat

topcat New Member

I think you've got faulty wheels to be honest, take them back and never buy vuelta wheels again :eek: