wheel question

Ricitius

Jul 26, 2005
Hello everyone,
I am wondering if anyone knew what kinds of tires/wheels these are in the picture of the following link: ECMC 2006

They look as if they were made out of wood. Lol

Second query:

I'm having a rear wheel built for my singlespeed cross bike.

I just ordered a 36 hole 130mm Phil Wood fix/free hub and a 36 hole 700c Velocity Deep V rim. I am thinking having the hub and rim laced with DT Swiss Alpine III spokes. How do know if DT Swiss makes the lengths required fro the rim and hub I bought? Another thing, is it worth spending a little extra for the DT Pro Lock nipples? Or is that just a gimmick?

Thank you for bearing my newbie thoughts and questions,
Richard

Ricitius said:
Hello everyone,
I am wondering if anyone knew what kinds of tires/wheels these are in the picture of the following link: ECMC 2006

They look as if they were made out of wood. Lol

Second query:

I'm having a rear wheel built for my singlespeed cross bike.

I just ordered a 36 hole 130mm Phil Wood fix/free hub and a 36 hole 700c Velocity Deep V rim. I am thinking having the hub and rim laced with DT Swiss Alpine III spokes. How do know if DT Swiss makes the lengths required fro the rim and hub I bought? Another thing, is it worth spending a little extra for the DT Pro Lock nipples? Or is that just a gimmick?

Thank you for bearing my newbie thoughts and questions,
Richard
1. just tan tires, but there are wood rims out there :<}
2. DT is phasing out Alpine III spokes so what is available is limitted to what your shop has and what is available in the distribution warehouses. I calculated 280 mm but since I don't know the exact model and dimensions of your hub, I am not sure. 280 - 288 mm range seems to be the ones that are harder to find. I don't think DT Pro Lock nipples are worth the extra cost, but they are not a bad thing either.
DT Competition 14/15 DB or Sapim Race 14/15 DB spokes should give you a strong and durable build. Alpine III would be a little stiffer, but you likely wouldn't feel the difference in the ride.

i remember a while back tioga making "butterscotch" versions of their Psyco tires. It's just natural rubber. It wears faster than the black compounds but I hear it's really sticky. I believe some manufacturers still make some tires this way though it is hard to tell from the picture what brand they are.

graphixgeek said:
i remember a while back tioga making "butterscotch" versions of their Psyco tires. It's just natural rubber. It wears faster than the black compounds but I hear it's really sticky. I believe some manufacturers still make some tires this way though it is hard to tell from the picture what brand they are.
They're supposed to be deadly slippery in the wet though.