Wheel question

Mlb

Guest
My very nice (and very unused) GT mb has a trashed rear wheel. Fixed it once and it's sprung again.
LBS has the wheel for $120!!! (Couldn't get a bite selling the bike for $200, paid $550, really
gorgeous Tequesta, showroom condition). Anyhew, rim says "Mavic 238 559x17/6106". What I need to
know is what I can look for in another rim to replace it. I know the 559/17 part but what is the
6106? is the "238" a model number? I see Nashbar and others having great deals on close out parts
and I'd like to find a compatable rim to buy for it.

Short version: what specs do I need to pay attention too other than the
559/17 for another wheel to fit this bike.

MUCHO THANKS for any help!

MLB <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> My very nice (and very unused) GT mb has a trashed rear wheel. Fixed it once and it's sprung
> again. LBS has the wheel for $120!!! (Couldn't get a bite selling the bike for $200, paid $550,
> really gorgeous Tequesta, showroom condition). Anyhew, rim says "Mavic 238 559x17/6106". What I
> need to know is what I can look for in another rim to replace it. I know the 559/17 part but what
> is the 6106? is the "238" a model number? I see Nashbar and others having great deals on close out
> parts and I'd like to find a compatable rim to buy for it.
>
> Short version: what specs do I need to pay attention too other than the 559/17 for another wheel
> to fit this bike.
>
> MUCHO THANKS for any help!

Would such a wheel be ready to put on the bike?

6106 just refers to the alloy the rim is made of.

I'd replace your 238 rim with a Mavic x221 (~ $30). It's a step up in quality.

If you want to get a very high quality rim, go for the Mavic x517 (~ $50).

If you want to buy a pre-assembled wheel of somewhat better quality than your current wheel, you can get one mail-order for around $69.

Remember that the wheel's "Build" will play a larger role than the actual choice of the rim.

R2

Originally posted by Mlb
My very nice (and very unused) GT mb has a trashed rear wheel. Fixed it once and it's sprung again.
LBS has the wheel for $120!!! (Couldn't get a bite selling the bike for $200, paid $550, really
gorgeous Tequesta, showroom condition). Anyhew, rim says "Mavic 238 559x17/6106". What I need to
know is what I can look for in another rim to replace it. I know the 559/17 part but what is the
6106? is the "238" a model number? I see Nashbar and others having great deals on close out parts
and I'd like to find a compatable rim to buy for it.

Short version: what specs do I need to pay attention too other than the
559/17 for another wheel to fit this bike.

MUCHO THANKS for any help!

Short version: what specs do I need to pay attention too other than the
> 559/17 for another wheel to fit this bike. MUCHO THANKS for any help!

Count the spokes. They vary from 24 to 48. Probably 36 though. The cross section should resemble
your old rim or you might not be able to use the old spokes.

Tom

> than your current wheel, you can get one mail-order for around $69.
>
> Remember that the wheel's "Build" will play a larger role than the actual choice of the rim.
>
> R2

I just want the cheapest available rim that isn't a major step down (or up in weight I suppose). I'm
only fixing it to keep it for my 8 y/o son since it isn't worth selling. So all I need to know is
the 559/17 part and how many spokes?

MLB <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > than your current wheel, you can get one mail-order for around $69.
> >
> > Remember that the wheel's "Build" will play a larger role than the actual choice of the rim.
> >
> > R2
>
> I just want the cheapest available rim that isn't a major step down (or up in weight I suppose).
> I'm only fixing it to keep it for my 8 y/o son since it isn't worth selling. So all I need to know
> is the 559/17 part and how many spokes?

No. Rims from different manufacturers but with the same outside dimensions can require different
length spokes- often wildly so. You'll have to match the original rim very closely to reuse the
old spokes.

Unless you've built wheels before, you're probably better off buying an entire replacement wheel.
Wheelbuilding takes practice and patience- the first 4 or 5 I built were pretty bad. They've
steadily gotten better- I haven't had a broken spoke in 15 years.

If you want to learn how to build wheels (it's actually really fun), invest in the book "The Bicycle
Wheel" by Jobst Brandt. It'll tell you far more than you want to know about bike wheels.

Jeff

> If you want to learn how to build wheels (it's actually really fun), invest in the book "The
> Bicycle Wheel" by Jobst Brandt. It'll tell you far more than you want to know about bike wheels.
>
> Jeff

All that I want to do is buy a wheel that is ready to put on the bike.