Wheel Quick Release Mechanism

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Joef87, Jun 25, 2003.

1. Joef87

Joef87 New Member

Hi wondering if someone could help me. Im sure im being really stupid.

I just bought my first "good" bike, a GT avalanche 1.0. its a quality ride. how though do i work the quick release mechansim on the wheels?

obviously i understand to pull the lever to loosen the wheel. i then unscrewed the clip? but the tyre is wider than the brakes so the wheel doesnt pull out? its suppost to be ridiculously easy so im sure some1 is laughing reading this!

cheers

Tags:

2. idealhilton

idealhilton New Member

On mtb bikes especially the tyre is considerably wider than the rim so the brakes need to disconnected to allow the wheel to pass through. Assuming your bike has V Brakes you will see a metal tube leading to the brake system (usually chrome or polished alloy) . No spanners needed you need to unclip this this 'lead pipe' from it holders on the V Brake. Usually best to manually press the brake blocks to the rim with your finger which
    releases cable tension & make unclipping of 'lead pipe ' easier. Once wheel quick release is undone & loosened past the 'lawyer's' tabs on the fork tips the wheel should come out easily . To replace wheel just retighten quick-release & clip 'lead pipe' back in holder making sure it clips all the way in. Sometimes the brake will stick on the rim from one side. Generally if the brake shoe is touching the rim from one side either tighten the small adjusting phillips screw on that side or loosen on the other side.