Wheel Ratings

cali-largeguy

Aug 26, 2005
I'm a big guy and am wanting to upgrade to a good wheelset, but am worried about weight ratings. I know that some rim makers don't rate the rim for riders over 200lbs. Does anyone know a good, ie kysrium, wheelset that is if not rated then sturdy enought for a 250lbs+ rider.

cali-largeguy said:
I'm a big guy and am wanting to upgrade to a good wheelset, but am worried about weight ratings. I know that some rim makers don't rate the rim for riders over 200lbs. Does anyone know a good, ie kysrium, wheelset that is if not rated then sturdy enought for a 250lbs+ rider.
Get something with a sensible spoke count (eg 32)
Try looking at DT Swiss?

I'd get some quality hand-built wheels. Perhaps get some mavic open pros laced to ultegra or 105 hubs. I'd recommend going with high spoke counts, 32/36 perhaps? I'm a huge proponent of handbuilt wheels, so if you want to go that route, stop by the LBS and see what they recommend for a fairly light wheelset that'll support someone who's 250lbs.

cali-largeguy said:
I suggest Ultegra or 105 hubs, 36 Sapim Race 14/15 DB spokes built 3 cross with Velocity Deep V rims if they are for a road bicycle.
If for a touring/cross/hybrid and wider than 28 mm tires I suggest XT or LX hubs with Mavic A719 rims.. same spokes.
Kysriums won't last very long for you.

You might try a set of Rolf Vigors .Im 290 and ride on them with no problems so far .Ive got about 800 miles on them and there are as straight and true as the day i got them. They also make the Vigor R S wheels they say for heavy ridders but the only difference in them is the rear rim is 40 grams heavier. check out there web site if you think they will appeal to you .www.rolfprima.com

badkarma said:
I'd get some quality hand-built wheels. Perhaps get some mavic open pros laced to ultegra or 105 hubs. I'd recommend going with high spoke counts, 32/36 perhaps? I'm a huge proponent of handbuilt wheels, so if you want to go that route, stop by the LBS and see what they recommend for a fairly light wheelset that'll support someone who's 250lbs.
I'm currently riding Xero Lite rims with 24 spokes front and back. I have had no problems with these over the last 1000 miles. I've only had 2 flats also, crazy. I'm looking for something lighter that rolls better, so not really wanting to go to any higher spoke count.

bobby20 said:
You might try a set of Rolf Vigors .Im 290 and ride on them with no problems so far .Ive got about 800 miles on them and there are as straight and true as the day i got them. They also make the Vigor R S wheels they say for heavy ridders but the only difference in them is the rear rim is 40 grams heavier. check out there web site if you think they will appeal to you .www.rolfprima.com
Thanks for the info on the Rolf Vigors. I am seriously considering them now, especially the RS. At only 1500grams that rivals the Kysriums I was considering, but at least the RS are designed for bigger riders. The reviews on them are great also. Maybe Santa is still watching.:)

Hi,

Depending on the time of year I weigh between 205 and 215. I've raced and trained on Ksyriums and for the money I believe thay are the best production wheels available for heavier riders. I also train on wheels that I've built myself.
I use Campy Record 28 hole hubs with Mavic CXP33 rims. The front is laced radially with double butted spokes and the rear is laced with 14 guage 3 cross on the drive side and radial double butted on the non drive side. I have yet to replace a spoke after 3 years of use. Considering your weight I would recomend 32 hole hubs and rims.
Rich

richdeand said:
Hi,

Depending on the time of year I weigh between 205 and 215. I've raced and trained on Ksyriums and for the money I believe thay are the best production wheels available for heavier riders. I also train on wheels that I've built myself.
I use Campy Record 28 hole hubs with Mavic CXP33 rims. The front is laced radially with double butted spokes and the rear is laced with 14 guage 3 cross on the drive side and radial double butted on the non drive side. I have yet to replace a spoke after 3 years of use. Considering your weight I would recomend 32 hole hubs and rims.
Rich
Alot of people say go to a 32 spoke, but if I haven't had any problems with the 24 spoke that I have why would I want to go higher. I've been riding them for about 5 months now and zero, no pun intended, problems. Also I think that the 32's look like the dumb ass rims on cars that I see. Can't stand it on other peoples cars and sure as hell don't want it on my bike.

Mavic CXP 33, 36 spokes front and back custom made from Colorado Cyclist. Yes they are a lot of spokes and they don't look as cool as a 24 spoke rim but if you are over 250lbs there is no other way to go. If you race you can use the cxp's for training and get a nice set of racing rims for racing so you don't have to look lame. But just remember does it really matter how you look if they can only see you from behind?

I am currently using mavic kyserium SL wheelset.:D NO problems,they are light and extemely reliable.Like I said they roll very nice,very little rolling resistance.:p Keep the tires inflated properly and you wont have any problems.:)

karries said:
I am currently using mavic kyserium SL wheelset.:D NO problems,they are light and extemely reliable.Like I said they roll very nice,very little rolling resistance.:p Keep the tires inflated properly and you wont have any problems.:)
That's great, but how much do you weigh? If you are 200lbs or less you shouldn't have a problem, not for the price of what they cost.

cali-largeguy said:
That's great, but how much do you weigh? If you are 200lbs or less you shouldn't have a problem, not for the price of what they cost.
I am about 198.I know bigger guys who also use them with no problems.One of my training buddies use rolfe rims,also very strong.Give them a try.:D