Wheel rebuilding with bladed spokes

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by trijicon, Aug 1, 2005.

1. trijicon

trijicon New Member

I was wondering.... is it possible to rebuild a wheel replacing regular spokes with bladed spokes? I have velomax ciruits as my training wheels and was thinking about rebuilding them with bladed spokes just for added aero. Is this possible? Also, where can I find aftermarket bladed spokes?

Thanx

Tags:

2. cmoore992002

cmoore992002 New Member

I did it the other way around. My bladed spokes were crap. When I started riding the bike hard they started popping left and right. I ended up getting a new set of wheels and rebuilding the old ones with regular spokes. I now have a spare set hanging in the garage. Someone else will have to tell you if there are any good quality blade spokes out there to use.

3. domaindomain

domaindomain New Member

It can be done but there is some aggro with most hubs..

You need to file out the hub spoke holes to get some blades through and this is not a good thing.

Some blade spokes do hook through the other way but I have never tried these and can't comment on how to build the wheels

Cheers

4. daveornee

daveornee New Member

Sapim CX-Ray spokes fit through normal hub holes. They are close to $2 per spoke. You don't need to slot the hubs, but you do need a way to hold them from twisting when tensioning. Sapim makes a small donut shaped tool with slots in it to hold the spoke when tensioning. The spokes are available in even mm lengths; 292, 290 mm, etc.
    Sapim CX-Ray spokes are more durable than any other spoke I have ever used from any manufacturer and of any style.
    I likely can source them for you. dave at ornee dot net
    Take a look at the spokes at URL:
    http://www.sapim.be/index.php?st=products&sub=spokes&category=3959&id=3340&detail=aero

5. artmichalek

artmichalek New Member

A cheaper option would be DT Swiss Aero Lites. Or DT Swiss Aero Speed and Wheelsmith AE15. All three will fit through a hub without slotting it.

6. otherworld

otherworld New Member

You have another problem though..... Your hubs require spokes with threads on both ends. You'll need to source bladed spokes that suit velomax hubs.

Good Luck Jay.

7. dhk

dhk New Member

Good point. I've got Velomax Circuits also. Not saying it would be "impossible" to find the correct length of bladed spoke and have the j-bend cut off and threaded, but it would be a lot of work and expensive for virtually nothing.

I think of the Circuits as a "one-shot" wheel anyway, with the threaded spokes locktighted into the hub. They seem very well-built; mine are holding up great at 7500 miles. But I'm figuring they wouldn't be worth rebuilding when they finally do give up....how many wheelbuilders would want to mess with twin-threaded spokes?