Wheel recomendations

Dick

Guest
The other day I picked up a friends bike to toss it in the truck and it suddenly struck me that my
bike is damn heavy. Further investigation revealed that my hardtail does indeed weigh about 30lb
which is substantial to my 155. Understand that where I ride has heavily (intentional) influenced my
current setup; lots of mean rocks just waiting to eat any part that comes near them and on top of
that most rides conclude with a 2 hour urban session. If your ever in the Madison WI area come by
and we'll break something together

Immediately I headed to weightweenies and picked out new pedals and bar which dropped a pound, whew.
Now I want to get a nice set-o-hoops. Chris King hubs seems to be the best combination of weight and
strength but rims are a little tougher to choose. MTBR is not helpful in this area because every rim
seems to have an equal mix of "strongest rim I ever had" and "I was just riding along...". Any
recommendations for a really tough but reasonably light rim (disc or not)?

**** <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> The other day I picked up a friends bike to toss it in the truck and it suddenly struck me that my
> bike is damn heavy.

HA HA

> Further investigation revealed that my hardtail does indeed weigh about 30lb which is substantial
> to my 155.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA 155.

> Understand that where I ride has heavily (intentional) influenced my current setup; lots of mean
> rocks just waiting to eat any part that comes near them and on top of that most rides conclude
> with a 2 hour urban session. If your ever in the Madison WI area come by and we'll break something
> together

Oh yeah, WI is EXTREEEEEM with all of those huge mountains.

<snip more **** emissions>

HA HA

JD

JD wrote:
> HA HA
>
> HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA 155.
I'd really rather stay off of your radar, I'm just too much of a target for you; I ride a SantaCrud,
think singlespeeders are dorks, practice wheelies...

> Oh yeah, WI is EXTREEEEEM with all of those huge mountains.

Funny thing is, some of the locals will claim there are some pretty big hills in the western part of
the state. I've only seen one or two mounds that even approach hill status. The terrain can be
pretty nasty though since glaciers came through and left an endless trail of sharp rocks.

> <snip more **** emissions>
>
> HA HA
>
> JD

so a 618?

< snip ****>

>So a 618?

A nice choice, you could go for the F519, strong and cheap! And then maybe som DT Swiss
comp spokes.

The king hubs are pretty expensive, i would go for a set of Hope Bulb, nice hubs :)

A X618, DT Swiss Comp and a set of Kings is a sweet choice, so if you can afford it, go for it. But
for normal use, the CK is overkill...

Peter

"****" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The other day I picked up a friends bike to toss it in the truck and it suddenly struck me that my
> bike is damn heavy. Further investigation revealed that my hardtail does indeed weigh about 30lb
> which is substantial to my 155. Understand that where I ride has heavily (intentional) influenced
> my current setup; lots of mean rocks just waiting to eat any part that comes near them and on top
> of that most rides conclude with a 2 hour urban session. If your ever in the Madison WI area come
> by and we'll break something together
>
> Immediately I headed to weightweenies and picked out new pedals and bar which dropped a pound,
> whew. Now I want to get a nice set-o-hoops. Chris King hubs seems to be the best combination of
> weight and strength but rims are a little tougher to choose. MTBR is not helpful in this area
> because every rim seems to have an equal mix of "strongest rim I ever had" and "I was just riding
> along...". Any recommendations for a really tough but reasonably light rim (disc or not)?

Okay firstly, 30lbs is fairly heavy for an xc race oriented bike but so what? do you race xc? Nope,
so you've got a bike that will keep on going strong, that will allow you to ride what you want. Do
you want to end up wearing lycra shorts and girly-looking shoes?

According to GT and JD, the Mavic 618 is a good rim for the money. I'm a clueless newbie, so I
ride 521's.

Steve E.

spademan o---[) * <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Okay firstly, 30lbs is fairly heavy for an xc race oriented bike but so what? do you race xc?
> Nope, so you've got a bike that will keep on going strong, that will allow you to ride what you
> want. Do you want to end up wearing lycra shorts and girly-looking shoes?
>
> According to GT and JD, the Mavic 618 is a good rim for the money. I'm a clueless newbie, so I
> ride 521's.

Yeahy - what he said!

And I ride (silver, not hard anodised ones) D521's as well - they've been good to me they have, and
although I'm not a heavy bloke (about same weight as you ****), I am a very clumsy *******, and
'smooth' just doesn't come into it. The rims have survived me excellently.

Shaun aRe

spademan o---[) * wrote:
> "****" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>The other day I picked up a friends bike to toss it in the truck and it suddenly struck me that my
>>bike is damn heavy. Further investigation revealed that my hardtail does indeed weigh about 30lb
>>which is substantial to my 155. Understand that where I ride has heavily (intentional) influenced
>>my current setup; lots of mean rocks just waiting to eat any part that comes near them and on top
>>of that most rides conclude with a 2 hour urban session. If your ever in the Madison WI area come
>>by and we'll break something together
>>
>>Immediately I headed to weightweenies and picked out new pedals and bar which dropped a pound,
>>whew. Now I want to get a nice set-o-hoops. Chris King hubs seems to be the best combination of
>>weight and strength but rims are a little tougher to choose. MTBR is not helpful in this area
>>because every rim seems to have an equal mix of "strongest rim I ever had" and "I was just riding
>>along...". Any recommendations for a really tough but reasonably light rim (disc or not)?
>>

> Okay firstly, 30lbs is fairly heavy for an xc race oriented bike but so what? do you race xc?
> Nope, so you've got a bike that will keep on going strong, that will allow you to ride what you
> want. Do you want to end up wearing lycra shorts and girly-looking shoes?

I am not looking for a ultralight setup, I just don't want to carry around unnessary weight. 25 lb
would be perfectly fine by me. Mass does not necessarily = stronger. If I can lose weight without
sacrificing strenght or performance why wouldn't I?

**** wrote:

> The terrain can be pretty nasty though since glaciers came through and left an endless trail of
> sharp rocks.

we call it "Hard Scrabble" here in NH

> so a 618?

RhynoLite

**** <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:EP9sa.6119$%[email protected]...
> spademan o---[) * wrote:
> > "****" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> >>The other day I picked up a friends bike to toss it in the truck and it suddenly struck me that
> >>my bike is damn heavy. Further investigation revealed that my hardtail does indeed weigh about
> >>30lb which is substantial to my 155. Understand that where I ride has heavily (intentional)
> >>influenced my current setup; lots of mean rocks just waiting to eat any part that comes near
> >>them and on top of that most rides conclude with a 2 hour urban session. If your ever in the
> >>Madison WI area come by and we'll break something together
> >>
> >>Immediately I headed to weightweenies and picked out new pedals and bar which dropped a pound,
> >>whew. Now I want to get a nice set-o-hoops. Chris King hubs seems to be the best combination of
> >>weight and strength but rims are a little tougher to choose. MTBR is not helpful in this area
> >>because every rim seems to have an equal mix of "strongest rim I ever had" and "I was just
> >>riding along...". Any recommendations for a really tough but reasonably light rim (disc or not)?
> >>

> > Okay firstly, 30lbs is fairly heavy for an xc race oriented bike but so what? do you race xc?
> > Nope, so you've got a bike that will keep on going strong, that will allow you to ride what you
> > want. Do you want to end up wearing lycra shorts and girly-looking shoes?
>
> I am not looking for a ultralight setup, I just don't want to carry around unnessary weight. 25 lb
> would be perfectly fine by me.

25 lb is pretty damned light.

> Mass does not necessarily = stronger. If I can lose weight without sacrificing strenght or
> performance why wouldn't I?

That's a big 'if', you see.......

Shaun aRe - riding a _36_ lb BASE framed hardtail and loving it.

Peter Tønnesen wrote:
> < snip ****>
>
>>So a 618?

> A X618, DT Swiss Comp and a set of Kings is a sweet choice, so if you can afford it, go for it.
> But for normal use, the CK is overkill...

I disagree on the King hub being overkill. IMO, your hubs should outlive your rims by a factor of
5:1, at least. More if you use rim brakes...... Never be afraid to buy the best!

My "Dream Wheelset": RhynoLiteXL hoops DT Swiss Apline-III spokes Chris King ISO Disc hubs (for now
I'll stick with Hugi Elite for the rears and King fronts)

**** wrote:

> If I can lose weight without sacrificing strenght or performance why wouldn't I?

You want strong, light, perfornmance!?!?!?!

alltogethernow: "get a singlesspeed"

>>I am not looking for a ultralight setup, I just don't want to carry around unnessary weight. 25 lb
>>would be perfectly fine by me.
>

> 25 lb is pretty damned light.
>

>>Mass does not necessarily = stronger. If I can lose weight without sacrificing strenght or
>>performance why wouldn't I?
>

> That's a big 'if', you see.......

Well, a prime example would be my bars and pedals. I ditched my salsa chromoto bars and primo
platforms for a set of easton e70 bars and magnesium pedals. No change in performance (gained an
extra inch of bar width, always good), maybe lost some strenght but not enough to matter, and
dropped a pound. No brainer.

> Shaun aRe - riding a _36_ lb BASE framed hardtail and loving it.

"****" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:EP9sa.6119$%[email protected]...
> spademan o---[) * wrote:
> > "****" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> >>The other day I picked up a friends bike to toss it in the truck and it suddenly struck me that
> >>my bike is damn heavy. Further investigation revealed that my hardtail does indeed weigh about
> >>30lb which is substantial to my 155. Understand that where I ride has heavily (intentional)
> >>influenced my current setup; lots of mean rocks just waiting to eat any part that comes near
> >>them and on top of that most rides conclude with a 2 hour urban session. If your ever in the
> >>Madison WI area come by and we'll break something together
> >>
> >>Immediately I headed to weightweenies and picked out new pedals and bar which dropped a pound,
> >>whew. Now I want to get a nice set-o-hoops. Chris King hubs seems to be the best combination of
> >>weight and strength but rims are a little tougher to choose. MTBR is not helpful in this area
> >>because every rim seems to have an equal mix of "strongest rim I ever had" and "I was just
> >>riding along...". Any recommendations for a really tough but reasonably light rim (disc or not)?
> >>

> > Okay firstly, 30lbs is fairly heavy for an xc race oriented bike but so what? do you race xc?
> > Nope, so you've got a bike that will keep on going strong, that will allow you to ride what you
> > want. Do you want to end up wearing lycra shorts and girly-looking shoes?
>
> I am not looking for a ultralight setup, I just don't want to carry around unnessary weight. 25 lb
> would be perfectly fine by me. Mass does not necessarily = stronger. If I can lose weight without
> sacrificing strenght or performance why wouldn't I?

A 25lb hardtail will be very compromised for weight versus strength. Fair enough if you've got ****
heavy parts then swapping for good lighter parts will probably be a good deal, if you can afford it.
Just don't get sucked in to the "my bike needs lighter parts because its heavy" bollx.

Steve E.

**** <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> >>I am not looking for a ultralight setup, I just don't want to carry around unnessary weight. 25
> >>lb would be perfectly fine by me.
> >

> > 25 lb is pretty damned light.
> >

> >>Mass does not necessarily = stronger. If I can lose weight without sacrificing strenght or
> >>performance why wouldn't I?
> >

> > That's a big 'if', you see.......
> >

> Well, a prime example would be my bars and pedals. I ditched my salsa chromoto bars and primo
> platforms for a set of easton e70 bars and magnesium pedals. No change in performance (gained an
> extra inch of bar width, always good), maybe lost some strenght but not enough to matter, and
> dropped a pound. No brainer.

Aye, but, the more you try to lose off it, the more it'll cost you, and the more you become likely
to compromise strength and longevity of performance. Wheels are right up there when it comes to this
IME. _That_ and that alone, is my point.

Shaun aRe - Just throwing out the points of view for you to consider, not trying to make your mind
up for you.

"****" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> >>I am not looking for a ultralight setup, I just don't want to carry around unnessary weight. 25
> >>lb would be perfectly fine by me.
> >

> > 25 lb is pretty damned light.
> >

> >>Mass does not necessarily = stronger. If I can lose weight without sacrificing strenght or
> >>performance why wouldn't I?
> >

> > That's a big 'if', you see.......
> >

> Well, a prime example would be my bars and pedals. I ditched my salsa chromoto bars and primo
> platforms for a set of easton e70 bars and magnesium pedals. No change in performance (gained an
> extra inch of bar width, always good), maybe lost some strenght but not enough to matter, and
> dropped a pound. No brainer.

Watch them magnesium primos, they catch fire real easy allegedly...

spademan o---[) * wrote:
> "****" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

>>>25 lb is pretty damned light.

>>>That's a big 'if', you see.......
>>>

>>Well, a prime example would be my bars and pedals. I ditched my salsa chromoto bars and primo
>>platforms for a set of easton e70 bars and magnesium pedals. No change in performance (gained an
>>extra inch of bar width, always good), maybe lost some strenght but not enough to matter, and
>>dropped a pound. No brainer.
>>

> Watch them magnesium primos, they catch fire real easy allegedly...

I cannot emhpasize enough just how cool that would be. It would be the warrenty story to end all
warrenty stories.

"I was just, like, riding along and, like, all of a sudden I was, like,

DUDE!!!"

> Peter Tønnesen wrote:
> > < snip ****>
> >
> >>So a 618?
>

> > A X618, DT Swiss Comp and a set of Kings is a sweet choice, so if you can afford it, go for it.
> > But for normal use, the CK is overkill...
>
> I disagree on the King hub being overkill. IMO, your hubs should outlive your rims by a factor of
> 5:1, at least. More if you use rim brakes...... Never be afraid to buy the best!
>
> My "Dream Wheelset": RhynoLiteXL hoops DT Swiss Apline-III spokes Chris King ISO Disc hubs (for
> now I'll stick with Hugi Elite for the rears and King fronts)

And yet, the price scares me.
--
_________________________

"spademan o---[\) *" <[email protected]> wrote

> A 25lb hardtail will be very compromised for weight versus strength.

Nonsense. That might be true of a 22-23 lb hardtail, but it is perfectly reasonable to build up a
durable XC hardtail at 25-26 lb.

CC

**** <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> spademan o---[) * wrote:
> > "****" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> >>Well, a prime example would be my bars and pedals. I ditched my salsa chromoto bars and primo
> >>platforms for a set of easton e70 bars and magnesium pedals. No change in performance (gained an
> >>extra inch of bar width, always good), maybe lost some strenght but not enough to matter, and
> >>dropped a pound. No brainer.
> >>

> > Watch them magnesium primos, they catch fire real easy allegedly...
> >
> I cannot emhpasize enough just how cool that would be. It would be the warrenty story to end all
> warrenty stories.
>
> "I was just, like, riding along and, like, all of a sudden I was, like,

> DUDE!!!"

',;~}~

Shaun aRe