Wheel reflectors

Davidm

Guest
So, what do you guys use on road bikes? The "standard" reflectors mine came
with are much like you see on every bike from kmart upwards, but is this the
best way to do it? Seems quite heavy, unbalanced, and not really
attractive...

Cheers
David M

"Davidm" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> So, what do you guys use on road bikes? The "standard" reflectors mine

came
> with are much like you see on every bike from kmart upwards, but is this

the
> best way to do it? Seems quite heavy, unbalanced, and not really
> attractive...
>
> Cheers
> David M

David.

I have the usual ones on my wheels except on my recumbent trike. On that I
made my own by putting some reflective tape around a couple of spokes.
Effective, lightweight and no effect on the spokes.

regards

Andrew

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 17:54:57 +0800
"Davidm" <[email protected]> wrote:

> So, what do you guys use on road bikes? The "standard" reflectors mine came
> with are much like you see on every bike from kmart upwards, but is this the
> best way to do it? Seems quite heavy, unbalanced, and not really
> attractive...

I reckon they are a bit like go faster stripes, give you a nice warm feeling but do *absolutely* nothing for you except slow you down.

They only reflect at right angles, you are better up upgrading your rear lighting/reflecting facilities, that's where you are going to be hit from.

--
Owen

"Owen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 17:54:57 +0800
> "Davidm" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > So, what do you guys use on road bikes? The "standard" reflectors mine

came
> > with are much like you see on every bike from kmart upwards, but is this

the
> > best way to do it? Seems quite heavy, unbalanced, and not really
> > attractive...

> I reckon they are a bit like go faster stripes, give you a nice warm

feeling but do *absolutely* nothing for you except slow you down.

> They only reflect at right angles,

This is not entirely true.......reflectors are made up of a series of "right
angle reflectors" that allow for light to return back towards its source.
This effect can be seen where there are two mirrors at right angles.....no
matter what angle you are at, if you look at the mirrors, you will be
staring back at yourself. The best way to understand it is to draw a
picture of a right angled reflector and then draw "beams" of light at
various angles (remembering that the angle of incidence will equal the angle
of reflection). The "return" beam will always be parallel to the original
beam.

Having said this, I don't have these reflectors on any of my bikes. I do
have stick on reflective material on the sides of my backpack though and I
used to have the same stuff on my crank arms but it started getting a bit
tattered so I took it off. I haven't tried sticking reflective tape to the
spokes but I might have a crack at it as I have some left from when I did my
backpack (BTW, I scored some offcuts of red, orange, and white adhesive,
reflective tape from a road sign shop in Queanbeyan some time ago for about
$10).

Ride On, Be Seen,

Gags

Davidm wrote:

> So, what do you guys use on road bikes? The "standard" reflectors mine came
> with are much like you see on every bike from kmart upwards, but is this the
> best way to do it? Seems quite heavy, unbalanced, and not really
> attractive...

I brought those 1' ring reflectors.
I then have option of balancing them around the hub, or
as I prefer - to offset two on each wheel as interlocking rings, which
tend to pulse in car head lights.

Separate issue from front and rear lighting.

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 17:54:57 +0800, Davidm wrote:

> So, what do you guys use on road bikes? The "standard" reflectors mine came
> with are much like you see on every bike from kmart upwards, but is this the
> best way to do it? Seems quite heavy, unbalanced, and not really
> attractive...

According to my LBS, all new bikes must be sold with front and rear
reflectors and a bell. If you pay $10K for a bike you'll get the same
crappy ones as on a K-mart special :)

--
bpo gallery at http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/mvw1/bpo

There's a range of reflective sidewall tires available.
Saw mail about them recently. Some guy in ?Sydney does
backyard imports of some European range. Apparently OK
quality tires. 'Course, they ain't likely to suit the
really speed-challenged.

Davidm wrote:
> So, what do you guys use on road bikes? The "standard" reflectors mine came
> with are much like you see on every bike from kmart upwards, but is this the
> best way to do it? Seems quite heavy, unbalanced, and not really
> attractive...
>
> Cheers
> David M

I, ah, 'liberated' some reflective sticky tape from some council poles.
It comes off quite well if your careful and then you can just stick it
straight on your bike, no worries. ive got bits plastered all over the
place on my bike in a fairly haphazard fashion, but anywhere on the back
is good. I also put a few sections inside my rims. Im not too sure
how effective that is, but I am considering doing the whole of the
inside surface before I give up on the idea.

The other _way cool_ visibility trick I have recently discovered is
those tiny new single led lights - about the size of a 20c coin with a
piece of elastic to attach it to whatever ou want. you can attach them
to your spokes to draw beautiful lines as you ride. Especially good if
youve got more than one, and in different colours. I think my housemate
had the best way to describe to effect:

"woah! that is so blade-runner!"

I have to admit, Ive even considered rigging up a couple of batteries
and a few leds wired along the spokes for a bit more permanence to the
fixture. Obviously it would add weight where its least wanted, but Im
rally just talking about my hack transport bike (a 15yo pro-tour which I
scored for free..)

cheers
lance

lance house wrote:

....snip....
> Im not too sure how effective that is, but I am considering
> doing the whole of the inside surface before I give up on the idea.

Patches are better because they give a pulsing light rather than a
consistent light.

If this is the 3M tape, it is very effective. On an old frame, I had
open spirals around the three tubes of the frame and they lit up very
nicely from a distance. Sort of "wtf is that" initial response until it
becomes clear you are a bicycle.

I'm about to do the same to my touring/commuting mtb.

Terry Collins wrote:

> lance house wrote:
>
> ....snip....
>
>> Im not too sure how effective that is, but I am considering
>>doing the whole of the inside surface before I give up on the idea.

> Patches are better because they give a pulsing light rather than a
> consistent light.
>
> If this is the 3M tape, it is very effective. On an old frame, I had
> open spirals around the three tubes of the frame and they lit up very
> nicely from a distance. Sort of "wtf is that" initial response until it
> becomes clear you are a bicycle.
>
> I'm about to do the same to my touring/commuting mtb.

yeah, ive thought about covering the whole frame with reflective tape,
to get a 'glowing bicycle' effect from a distance. I reckon it would
look pretty cool, but it might also but ultra-geek. I was also
wondering if its possible to get any of the white reflective paint which
they use for road marking, and just paint the damn thing...

lance

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 10:06:55 +0930, lance house <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I, ah, 'liberated' some reflective sticky tape from some council poles.
> It comes off quite well if your careful and then you can just stick it
>straight on your bike, no worries. ive got bits plastered all over the
>place on my bike in a fairly haphazard fashion, but anywhere on the back
> is good. I also put a few sections inside my rims. Im not too sure
>how effective that is, but I am considering doing the whole of the
>inside surface before I give up on the idea.

I've got reflective tape on my rims, covering about 1/3 of the
diameter. It lights up quite nicely!

This is in addition to the yellow spoke reflectors, good lights front
& back and blinky on the back of my helmet, plus extra bits of
reflective tape on my frame and helmet. Yeah I know, very geeky but
what the heck!

lance house wrote:

> yeah, ive thought about covering the whole frame with reflective tape,
> to get a 'glowing bicycle' effect from a distance. I reckon it would
> look pretty cool, but it might also but ultra-geek. I was also
> wondering if its possible to get any of the white reflective paint which
> they use for road marking, and just paint the damn thing...

Yes, I've thought about this over the years, but I didn't then know
about how to do it.
That road marking paint has to be baked on. It really is just an
emulsion with tiny glass beads suspended in it. Otherwise no problems.

The point with reflective tapes and paints is that they reflect the
motor vehicles lights, which are usually stronger than the bicycle
lights and so the tapes, etc show up first, then those cheap reflectors,
then the basic bicycle lights.

Those wheel reflectors are the first thing to hit the bottom of the bin when I take a new bike home.

> > So, what do you guys use on road bikes? The "standard" reflectors mine came
> > with are much like you see on every bike from kmart upwards, but is this the
> > best way to do it? Seems quite heavy, unbalanced, and not really
> > attractive...

> According to my LBS, all new bikes must be sold with front and rear
> reflectors and a bell. If you pay $10K for a bike you'll get the same
> crappy ones as on a K-mart special :)

Yes, this is true. The brakes must also be set universally, unsure as to what's right and what's left though.

"Marx SS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Those wheel reflectors are the first thing to hit the bottom of the bin
> when I take a new bike home.
>

> --
> Marx SS

Yep, wheel reflectors sure are ****. Also difficult to remove as they have
an anti tamper screw slot.
There are lots of "safety" equipment shops about now with a good range of
reflective adhesive tapes.
Remember, white to the front, red/orange to the rear or sides. That will
keep any pedantic cops happy.

Those reflective ankle bands also have a high WTF factor to wake up dozy
drivers.

The reflective stuff in road line marking paint is actually ground glass
that is sprinkled on while the paint is still wet.

Egg Beeta

Insistant Obsessive Compulsive bottom posters like it in the bottom

Owen <[email protected]> writes:

[...]

> They only reflect at right angles, you are better up upgrading your
> rear lighting/reflecting facilities, that's where you are going to
> be hit from.

Is it? To my reading rear enders are relitivy rare, however being hit
from the side in an intersection is quite possable and one of the
things wheel refectors gard against.

http://dformosa.zeta.org.au/~dformosa/Spelling.html to find out more.
Free the Memes.

"GDS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > > So, what do you guys use on road bikes? The "standard" reflectors

mine came
> > > with are much like you see on every bike from kmart upwards, but is

this the
> > > best way to do it? Seems quite heavy, unbalanced, and not really
> > > attractive...

> > According to my LBS, all new bikes must be sold with front and rear
> > reflectors and a bell. If you pay $10K for a bike you'll get the same
> > crappy ones as on a K-mart special :)
> >

> Yes, this is true. The brakes must also be set universally, unsure as to

what's right and what's left though.

As was discussed in an earlier thread the front brake goes on the right
because that's where your speedo is.

Marty

GDS wrote:

> Yes, this is true. The brakes must also be set universally, unsure as to what's right and what's left though.

Do you have a quote on that? I think it is just lazy importer and bike
shops.

I would never buy a bicycle that doesn't have the rear brake on the left
hand side and the front on the right.

Terry Collins said:
GDS wrote:

> Yes, this is true. The brakes must also be set universally, unsure as to what's right and what's left though.

Do you have a quote on that? I think it is just lazy importer and bike
shops.

I would never buy a bicycle that doesn't have the rear brake on the left
hand side and the front on the right.

eh? I prefer the front-right/rear-left combo too, but it only takes about 2 minutes to swap them over.

Ritch.

PS. not that I buy bikes very often anyway...

> Do you have a quote on that? I think it is just lazy importer and bike
> shops.
>
> I would never buy a bicycle that doesn't have the rear brake on the left
> hand side and the front on the right.

A quick google didn't yield anything unfortunately.
My local dealer told me a few years ago that he has to switch the brakes over if they come out of the box reversed as
it's the law?
I've no reason to doubt him. Sorry it's no help.

G.