Wheel Reflectors

Temp3st

Guest
Now I know all new bikes come with those lovely, and ever so useful, orange reflectors attached to
the spokes but how does one remove them? Is there a special tool or just some magical 'knack' to do
it without snapping a spoke?

..or am I just a dumb fool?

Most of the ones I've seen have a sort of plastic screw doobrey on them, which can be undone with a
beefy screwdriver or 2p coin. However, YRMV.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, Temp3st wrote:
> Now I know all new bikes come with those lovely, and ever so useful, orange reflectors attached
> to the spokes but how does one remove them? Is there a special tool or just some magical 'knack'
> to do it without snapping a spoke?
>
> ..or am I just a dumb fool?

AFAIK just push it down the spokes towards the hub, should come loose

In message <[email protected]>, Dave Larrington
<[email protected]> writes
>Most of the ones I've seen have a sort of plastic screw doobrey on them, which can be undone with a
>beefy screwdriver or 2p coin. However, YRMV.

I had some which were pushfitted together with some sort of plastic 'peg and hole arrangement', that
wasn't designed to be dismantled.

I got them off by sticking an old screwdriver in between the two halves and twisting
--
Chris French, Leeds

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 01:12:10 +0000, chris French
<[email protected]> wrote:

:)In message <[email protected]>, Dave )Larrington
:<[email protected]> writes )>Most of the ones I've seen have a sort of plastic screw doobrey on
:them, )>which can be undone with a beefy screwdriver or 2p coin. However, YRMV. )> )I had some
:which were pushfitted together with some sort of plastic 'peg )and hole arrangement', that wasn't
:designed to be dismantled. ) )I got them off by sticking an old screwdriver in between the two
:halves )and twisting

What's the reason for removing them ?

Am I not alone in disliking them ?
--
Comm again, Mike.

in message <[email protected]>, pmailkeey
('[email protected]') wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 01:12:10 +0000, chris French <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> :)In message <[email protected]>, Dave )Larrington
> :<[email protected]> writes )>Most of the ones I've seen have a sort of plastic screw
> :doobrey on
> :them,
> :)>which can be undone with a beefy screwdriver or 2p coin. However,
> :YRMV. )>
> :)I had some which were pushfitted together with some sort of plastic 'peg )and hole arrangement',
> :that wasn't designed to be dismantled. ) )I got them off by sticking an old screwdriver in
> :between the two halves )and twisting
>
> What's the reason for removing them ?

Well, for my point of view, on a road bike they're useful but on a hill bike they have no
purpose and, from my point of view, spoil the aesthetic of my all black stealth bike. So they
had to come off.

> Am I not alone in disliking them ?

There's no doubt that, seen from the side at night, they say 'bicycle' very clearly to even the
thickest car driver. So if your bike will be ridden on the road at night leave them on.

But personally I think they're ugly.

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/ Wannabe a Web designer?
<URL:http://userfriendly.org/cartoons/archives/97dec/19971206.html

pmailkeey wrote:

> What's the reason for removing them ?
>
> Am I not alone in disliking them ?

If you dislike them then you can answer your own question :)

~PB

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 10:05:04 GMT, Simon Brooke <[email protected]>
wrote:

:)Well, for my point of view, on a road bike they're useful
:but on a hill bike )they have no purpose and, from my point
:eek:f view, spoil the aesthetic of my )all black stealth bike.
:So they had to come off. ) )> Am I not alone in disliking
:them ? ) )There's no doubt that, seen from the side at
:night, they say 'bicycle' very )clearly to even the
:thickest car driver. So if your bike will be ridden on )the
:road at night leave them on. ) )But personally I think
:they're ugly. )

I use my bikes on the road at night and take the wheel
reflectors off.

...Mike - a bloody fast glow-in-the-dark pedestrian
--
Comm again, Mike.

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 11:39:35 -0000, "Pete Biggs"
<ptangerine{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

:)pmailkeey wrote: )> )> What's the reason for removing them
:? )> )> Am I not alone in disliking them ? ) )If you
:dislike them then you can answer your own question :)

Only from MO !
--
Comm again, Mike.