Wheel reuse between road and cyclocross bikes

Squat'n Dive

Guest
Is open pro/dt rr 1.1 wheels usable on cyclecross bikes or i'd need a
big fat sturdy
wheel built for the purpose of accomodating 35-45 mm 700c tires? would
cxp-33 work?

In article
<ada1248e-7eb0-48c1-a51e-c51627d3afec@w47g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>,
"Squat'n Dive" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Is open pro/dt rr 1.1 wheels usable on cyclecross bikes or i'd need a
> big fat sturdy
> wheel built for the purpose of accomodating 35-45 mm 700c tires? would
> cxp-33 work?

It depends.

If you're running a 30-35 mm CX tire on a CX-type course, the Open Pro
should be fine. CX doesn't impose much load on a wheelset unless you hit
an obstacle square on, and while courses vary greatly, the typical CX
course features sand, not rocks. I use my road racing rims
interchangeably on my cross bike, running 31-32 mm tires. At the
pressures I run for CX races, tire retention is marginal, which might be
why serious CXers use tubulars.

On the other hand, if you are plotting to run 29er tires on a bike so
you can ride serious mountain bike trails, there are rims for that, and
they're usually around 28 mm wide.

Many people do tackle real trails on CX bikes. It's a bit of an
atavistic quirk, but lots of fun and good for skill building.

"My scenarios may give the impression I could be an excellent crook.
Not true - I am a talented lawyer." - Sandy in rec.bicycles.racing